Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've begun to notice just how big of an introvert I am in comparison with the world around me. Sometimes I genuinely think there is something wrong with me to what extremes I can go to, but just realize it's who I am and know I can't be all alone in this arena.

I feel like the label of the 'True Introvert' by several INFJ descriptions fit me entirely. And it can be difficult staying true to that label while in a generally extroverted American society for finding your niche, et cetera. Nonetheless, as much as I try to conform to those extroverted traits, I typically feel burned out by the end of the day.

My introversion is pretty high in the sense that I can go days and, if I feel up to it, a week or so without talking to anyone. But after a while I just need to get out and see people. I'll be the first to admit my interpersonal skills aren't up there with most people. I can relate to people easy for the initial first impression and several other meetings after that, but as far as maintaining a great many friendships with people is where I fall behind. Out of the thousands of hands I've shook, there are probably a maximum of ten to fifteen people I genuinely connect to and am good friends with. And, really, that's all I'm looking for -- to find people who can understand and appreciate my personality -- which seems few and far between. But I'm OK with that. I don't expect everyone to get me - just a fact about myself I've learned to accept. I find I'm one of those people you'll either find yourself talking to a whole bunch or not at all.

Even so, I've noticed I do sometimes avoid basic human needs just to not think about what I'm going to do next, who I need to keep up with, etc. Like now, as much as I am hungry and could very well walk downstairs and get something to eat, my desire to be left alone from the outside world, even walking to another room, will take longer than I anticipate because I'm so centered around my own thoughts. I have a more powerful human need to express myself than fulfill my need to survive. I think there's something to be said for that, heh. Dying in pursuit of one's own intellect sounds like a cool way to die, but I don't think I'm that bad, haha. Most times all I feel like doing is sitting at my desk, listening to music, and writing. And I go for long periods of time for doing this without much concern for people. Eventually I do get out and see people, and it's never awkward talking to them because they know how I am. People who don't know me very well would consider it a silent treatment of sorts, but it's really not that at all. If I have a problem with someone, more often than not I will tell them. So it's nice to be surrounded by people who get this about me, and hopefully you, the passerby who may not know this about me or most INFJs, can come to terms with how my type generally deals with people and our desire to be alone.

But as an introvert/extrovert/ambivert in your own right, how high and low in each of these fields do you feel they represent you?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm extremely introverted. I have about 3 people I'd call friends. I don't have the energy to maintain any more friendships, nor do I feel the need to. That said, I do enjoy socializing, especially at work, but these people are only acquaintances.

Any given day I'd prefer to be alone with my thoughts than most anything else. I love my private and low-key life. People think I'm a little weird (well, I am, but that's beside the point) and generally can't fathom why I'm not always ready to get out and do things. I thought there was something wrong with me too for the longest time, even understanding the terms introvert and extrovert. I first heard the terms in middle school and knew right away which I was. That didn't really help me much when even the (very few) introverts I knew were more outgoing than myself. I've just come to accept that fact about myself. I wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not sure, about myself...

This is a very thought provoking question.

When I was a child, I would read - ALL DAY - skipping meals, hiding out in my room, even "holding it" to go to the bathroom (and then finally taking the book with me when I did)... sometimes I wouldn't even get out of bed in the mornings, just grab the book, and read, read, read. Those were my happiest summer-childhood-days... ahhh.

I am SUBLIMELY happy with nothing but books, the internet for information/research, and pen and paper. I definitely ignore, avoid, and well, shun people a lot. I have been told I'm "aloof", that I'm scary, I give the cold-shoulder, silent-treatment, etc...

However. All my life I have LONGED, pined, sighed for, one true best friend. Somebody who understands me. Gives me the space I need without taking it personally. Doesn't chitchat. Has interesting, deep, eye-opening/thought-provoking things to say.

My husband comes closest to that description. He's an INTJ. Sometimes we do, indeed, forget we're in a relationship. He sits on his computer, or reads; I read or sit at mine; no words, no interruptions, it's blissful. The other blissful point is I'm a stay at home mom, and DH works a lot. The downer to all that is, well, my toddler kinda forces me to "get out of my head" sometimes. :happy: I can't keep the nocturnal schedule I'd like, and I can't sleep in... or stay in bed reading for that matter... :crazy:

I guess I'm a pretty big, sorry introvert... to the point that I've hurt feelings, curtailed friendships, and stopped communicating with folks altogether... all for the sake of my "space", freedom, and alone time. I like it this way, except when I think of how I've hurt others, then I feel REALLY REALLY badly. But, anymore, I don't act on that feeling. I used to, and go out of my way to try to be more extroverted, but it did little good for my "inner" well being. It's only been very recently that I've stopped "fighting" my inner (haha) introvert. Life has really looked up, for me, since I stopped trying to be that which I am not...

So. Yes. vedddy interestink...

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
Let's see.... Well when I first did the MBTI test I scored 95 and 100% on it. I know I'm extremely extroverted for sure but I also find that I have come down a bit since then. I think what set me off was the divorce. Once I had moved out on my own I had this burning need to go out and meet people and have sex! That need (the going out) has dwindled a bit though and although I have not retaken the test I know I am probably around 70% or so now. I usually (typically Sundays) stay home once a week and actually enjoy it. I sometimes don't even want to talk to people on the computer :shocked:

Res if you ever have those really introverted days you can always just tag along behind me and silently laugh at me and my antics. :cool: I will do all the talking for you, no problem at all.

PS. I forgot to add I have way too many friends.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
I have come to discover that for some people in the world I can have energy to talk to even if I am beat and have a throbbing headache. When they call or show up all the pain goes away and everything lights up.

I want to be left alone when:

~ I need to ponder important decisions.
~ The company I am with is annoying.
~ My mother is nagging me to do shit.
~ I'm feeling really really depressed and don't want to spread it to the rest of the world.
~ When I have a new book I'm absorbed in.

Sometimes for the hell of it I think of traveling to another country with no company. But I want it more for the independence and the adventure rather than for introversion.

I discovered that I enjoy having people in the vicinity. Like I'm in my room chilling or studying and having people in the living room. If I am left completely home alone I feel trapped and need to go out/bring friends home/chat with friends online. During the tough studying days at university I needed to spend more than 5 hours straight studying. In the beginning I would happily do this in the library with people around buzzing and making little noise. It somehow increases my concentration and brings me to the moment. During the last year when I was doing my studying at home I would leave msn on to say a word or two to friends during the studying.

When I am completely completely alone I usually feel anxious if I have nothing specific to do. SO i take up things like organizing the next months plans or cleaning the house to get my mind off things.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have come to discover that for some people in the world I can have energy to talk to even if I am beat and have a throbbing headache. When they call or show up all the pain goes away and everything lights up.

I want to be left alone when:

~ I need to ponder important decisions.
~ The company I am with is annoying.
~ My mother is nagging me to do shit.
~ I'm feeling really really depressed and don't want to spread it to the rest of the world.
~ When I have a new book I'm absorbed in.

Sometimes for the hell of it I think of traveling to another country with no company. But I want it more for the independence and the adventure rather than for introversion.

I discovered that I enjoy having people in the vicinity. Like I'm in my room chilling or studying and having people in the living room. If I am left completely home alone I feel trapped and need to go out/bring friends home/chat with friends online. During the tough studying days at university I needed to spend more than 5 hours straight studying. In the beginning I would happily do this in the library with people around buzzing and making little noise. It somehow increases my concentration and brings me to the moment. During the last year when I was doing my studying at home I would leave msn on to say a word or two to friends during the studying.

When I am completely completely alone I usually feel anxious if I have nothing specific to do. SO i take up things like organizing the next months plans or cleaning the house to get my mind off things.
This in its entirety.

Even when I don't want to be strictly interacting with people, I like having them around. I hate to be entirely alone, and need to find distraction. If I'm left isolated for TOO long, I get pretty upset.

There are times when I'd prefer to be by myself for a while, but they don't last long, and even then I hate being cut off - I'm not confortable with being unable to communicate with anyone, even when I don't feel like actually doing it. That said, getting a cell phone recently was a great improvement to my general mood - I feel like I can always reach SOMEbody, plus calls in the car and 3am texting are so win. =]

·
Registered
638 Posts
Very introverted. Look at the score in my sig! :laughing:

The funny part is that, being a feeler, I am highly fascinated by people - it's just the direct interaction with them in large groups, spontaneously, in real time which is so draining.

It's nicer when there are message boards where I can methodically pore over every last word in my post and consider the effects it might have on people!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I can go without talking to anyone for weeks at a time. It's not a big deal for me. But I like hanging out with people too. It's mostly a 'whatever happens' thing for me, I'm fine either way.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I am quite introverted and I am comfortable with it. I can be sort of extroverted if I have to be it, not for long however. Considering if I am in a good mood and if I feel like it, I can behave in a sort of limited extroverted manner. In real life, I have a few times been confused for being extroverted by those that does not know me well.

To myself, the default introvert and extrovert dichotomy does not always apply. Considering I am comfortable with the individuals I am dealing with, I know how to behave well in a social setting. I hold the principle that I will not judge how comfortable I am with a specific person until I know such person. Due to my inability to judge whenever or not I am comfortable with a certain person, especially if I don't know such person well, I will apply a comfortable manner if I can.

It's relative who I am comfortable with. Also both my and others mood can affect that -- not just the person I am interacting with. Some days however, even when being with others, I am very introverted and silent.

I don't try to put on a facade, I feel that my sort of behavior comes naturally. I attempt to behave in the manner that I deem important and genuine, while at the same time trying to be accessible to others, as well as taking the needs of others into consideration to a certain degree. If a certain situation becomes what I deem superficial or wrong, I will avoid or change the situation if I can. I wouldn't call the way I behave social skills because of multiple reasons I will hold to myself. I don't like groups however and the larger a group is usually the less sort of temp-extroverted I am.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts

·
Banned
2,672 Posts
I feel like the label of the 'True Introvert' by several INFJ descriptions fit me entirely. And it can be difficult staying true to that label while in a generally extroverted American society for finding your niche, et cetera. Nonetheless, as much as I try to conform to those extroverted traits, I typically feel burned out by the end of the day.

My introversion is pretty high in the sense that I can go days and, if I feel up to it, a week or so without talking to anyone. But after a while I just need to get out and see people. I'll be the first to admit my interpersonal skills aren't up there with most people. I can relate to people easy for the initial first impression and several other meetings after that, but as far as maintaining a great many friendships with people is where I fall behind. Out of the thousands of hands I've shook, there are probably a maximum of ten to fifteen people I genuinely connect to and am good friends with. And, really, that's all I'm looking for -- to find people who can understand and appreciate my personality -- which seems few and far between. But I'm OK with that. I don't expect everyone to get me - just a fact about myself I've learned to accept. I find I'm one of those people you'll either find yourself talking to a whole bunch or not at all.
My mother has taken to calling it being "mean and hateful," when really, I'm just indifferent to socializing. I try to explain it, but she will not see it any other way. I'm not telling other people that they can't talk to me, or even that they aren't allowed to talk to others. I told her, it's okay by me if they ignore me. Still, that's being hateful. It doesn't even matter if I've made a few acquaintances I might eventually consider friends. On the other hand, I haven't really done a great job of defending or explaining myself.

Anyway, I have one person I call friend. And he is the one person I can unequivocally say that I love. He is the only friend I need. Some would cringe at my social life--they would wonder how I could sink to such miserable depths. But it is unbelievably fulfilling for me.

As a child, I didn't have friends that I could socialize with outside of school, and I even had zero friends for one school year. I can go for a long time without socializing, probably two or three weeks. The Guntrip criteria and Akhtar profile for schizoid personality disorder resonate deeply with me, though I'm struggling to understand what certain criteria mean.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My mother has taken to calling it being "mean and hateful," when really, I'm just indifferent to socializing. I try to explain it, but she will not see it any other way. I'm not telling other people that they can't talk to me, or even that they aren't allowed to talk to others. I told her, it's okay by me if they ignore me. Still, that's being hateful. It doesn't even matter if I've made a few acquaintances I might eventually consider friends. On the other hand, I haven't really done a great job of defending or explaining myself.

Anyway, I have one person I call friend. And he is the one person I can unequivocally say that I love. He is the only friend I need. Some would cringe at my social life--they would wonder how I could sink to such miserable depths. But it is unbelievably fulfilling for me.

As a child, I didn't have friends that I could socialize with outside of school, and I even had zero friends for one school year. I can go for a long time without socializing, probably two or three weeks. The Guntrip criteria and Akhtar profile for schizoid personality disorder resonate deeply with me, though I'm struggling to understand what certain criteria mean.
I defintely understand this. My parents would say the same thing or say I'm a hermit. It's not that. I just enjoy me majority of the time. My cousin said I was anti-social. She is outgoing, bubbly, happy go lucky and my total opposite. I always remained low-key and had few friends. Even as a child, I was the same way. Anyhow, I do have those who I call friends. Only a small amount who I can trust. During my time at community college, I didn't have any friends there. I mainly drifted along talking to those I had a common ground with. Of course, my introvertedness has had its ups and downs. However, I wouldn't change it. I've gained a great sense of self and confidence.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I know I'm introverted, but I am really prone to loneliness. I like to fit in with the crowd, as in I don't like making myself vulnerable (I am very sensitive).
I have always had trouble with making friends. I always had a few "close" friends (they really were never that close at all, except for a few very special people), never a lot. It seemed like whenever the teacher called out my name, people often said "Who's Erik?" It made me mad and the overall opinion on shyness that has been implanted into me since I was a young child has made me naturally sort of rely on people somewhat. I like to socialize and grow closer with people, but I really can't do without my alone time. I was just on vacation with my family for 8 days and it was extremely hard to get alone time, especially with a highly extroverted sister. I felt bad because I tried my best to be alone and no matter what, I couldn't, so I had to resort to acting a little nasty so I'd be left alone. I don't like it, but oh well :(.

Oftentimes, when my dad or step-mom come home in the late afternoon or evening time, they'll ask what I did today, and I lie and say I hung out with "so and so" or pretend to go hang out with people while they're home when in reality I'm going to hang out with myself to get away. It's pretty pathetic, I know, but I don't like being lectured on how I need to get out more, so I lie. My dad's an introvert, but I think since he knows what it's like to be an introvert, he doesn't want me to be like that, so he tries his best to encourage me to be more outgoing and gregarious.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can be around people all day everyday or live Walden style for months. As long as there is something in either situation that I find interesting/absorbing I am happy.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

Even so, I've noticed I do sometimes avoid basic human needs just to not think about what I'm going to do next, who I need to keep up with, etc. Like now, as much as I am hungry and could very well walk downstairs and get something to eat, my desire to be left alone from the outside world, even walking to another room, will take longer than I anticipate because I'm so centered around my own thoughts. I have a more powerful human need to express myself than fulfill my need to survive. I think there's something to be said for that, heh. Dying in pursuit of one's own intellect sounds like a cool way to die, but I don't think I'm that bad, haha. Most times all I feel like doing is sitting at my desk, listening to music, and writing. And I go for long periods of time for doing this without much concern for people. Eventually I do get out and see people, and it's never awkward talking to them because they know how I am. People who don't know me very well would consider it a silent treatment of sorts, but it's really not that at all. If I have a problem with someone, more often than not I will tell them. So it's nice to be surrounded by people who get this about me, and hopefully you, the passerby who may not know this about me or most INFJs, can come to terms with how my type generally deals with people and our desire to be alone.
Res, why are you me? :p

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I am introvert, to the nth degree when it comes to social situations. I almost never initiate anything, all my friends are extroverted because I don't have to motivation or drive to approach other people.

But I absolutely LOVE public presentations, speaking in front of a crowd, an audience. Class presentations are my things, I can always captivate the room, and get people to listen.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts