Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being ENFP, I've had lengthy episodes of using Ni, but usually it has happened circumstantially from not being able to use Ne enough. Most of the times I think I've used Ni, it's been in situations I'm in depression or are in very extended periods of isolation, which is often painful for me. However, I find that Ni is a really important tool in becoming decisive in important matters for both my personal and artistic growth. So anywayyy, what are the ways Ne-dominant people can really develop Ni? Have INFJs had parallel experiences having to develop Ne?

Also, any detailed descriptions of Ni and accessing Ni would be awesome~!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Being ENFP, I've had lengthy episodes of using Ni, but usually it has happened circumstantially from not being able to use Ne enough. Most of the times I think I've used Ni, it's been in situations I'm in depression or are in very extended periods of isolation, which is often painful for me. However, I find that Ni is a really important tool in becoming decisive in important matters for both my personal and artistic growth. So anywayyy, what are the ways Ne-dominant people can really develop Ni? Have INFJs had parallel experiences having to develop Ne?

Um, I'm honestly not quite sure how to answer your question exactly because, truly, its very complicated. But I'll go out on a limb and comment that during the moments when I feel most "connected" with the world and the universe is when I'm either 1. In nature, 2. Exercising (yoga, running outside, etc.), or 3. Listening to certain music.

That's about all I can think of right now... sorry I can't be of too much help, its a difficult function to describe in words. :unsure:

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
Not sure what to say really, I've just started to learn about functions myself so its all new to me but I'll add something random anyway...... Maybe a quiet meditative state may help, let your mind just flood with thoughts while not being distracted by other things. Then try and connect a few thoughts together and make something out of them that seems tangible. Thats all I can really think of but I hope that makes some sense.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hell, I don't know. I can tell you what I'm like though. I'm quiet, thoughtful and very very studious, yet lazy. I'm old fashioned, write letters to people, write poetry, I listen to classical, write music, play the piano, read, philosophize and think think think think think think think think, while also being emotional. A big thing about INFjs is that they don't understand themselves...it'd be quite difficult to describe to you, right?
:p

Reactions: GreenCoyote

·
Banned
656 Posts
I think what will help put you on the path there is that famous adage of walking around in another man's shoes/moccasins.....

Who said the "walk a mile in someone else's shoes/moccasins" quote? - Yahoo! Answers

I actually had the moccasin version hanging in my home for many years growing up and would pass by it everyday. When you embrace and carry that mentality with you it builds a sensitivity for everyone and everything around you. You will notice a change in yourself because it won't be enough to just talk over people but you will physically need to bring yourself down to the level of the person if they are shorter or closer if there is distance. You won't feel the need to speak all the time because you will be too busy sharing the energy and space with the person. It is actively being engaged in the world around you on a more deeper level and appreciating the connectiveness of the universe. It's appreciating the noise on a seemingly noiseless day because the world down to the cellular level is constantly engaged in the process of living and communicating.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts

Why is the sky blue? Maybe it's because blue is God's favorite color so God decided to paint it blue for its own sake. Why are you wearing a suit? Do you want me to get the impression that you're rich and I should be impressed by your finesse. Why do you want to know about Ni Kibou? Is it because you are impressed by INFJ's use of intuition and you want that ability for yourself? Why is the north up and south down? Does this mean that just because north is higher than south it makes everything more important?

This my friend is Ni for me. It's getting behind the intentions of others and situations to understand the real system of how things are being run. This leads Ni users to be extremely distrustful, at least for me, because you begin to question everyone's intentions and motives. I'm the supreme conspiracy theorist but mostly that information stays to myself, unless I can explain logically why I think the way I do and present facts of my theories.

That's why I think Ni users are good strategist, the're able to see every contingency that may rise and have a plan for each of them in the event that one of them may not work out. Ne in the other hand is my achilles's heel because it gives me many other options that my Ni needs to sort out and that process takes a lot of time. For example, when I'm playing chess my Ni tells me to move this piece because my opponent will make this move that will cause this outcome, but my Ne will tell me "why move there when there are lots of other possibilities to choose from." It's fatal lol

However, Ni may be the ENFP's achille's heel. ENFP are more action oriented and Ni may impede them to do what they need to do because Ni will present the ENFP with major possible inconveniences that may arise from an activity. Like if you're an ENFP and you like bungee jumping, Ne will say "This is fun" but Ni will say "it's fun...but...it's dangerous, what if the rope fails, what if you hit the ground and you get a massive brain disfunction, no, just don't do it". So you see, Ne is the pedal and Ni are the breaks. So it may work both ways.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Why is the sky blue? Maybe it's because blue is God's favorite color so God decided to paint it blue for its own sake. Why are you wearing a suit? Do you want me to get the impression that you're rich and I should be impressed by your finesse. Why do you want to know about Ni Kibou? Is it because you are impressed by INFJ's use of intuition and you want that ability for yourself? That makes you greedy and since you're greedy, you're going to use this description in order to get credit that you know what Ni is about and everyone will be impressed by you and call you a psychic or mystic. In other words, you want to look cool and say that ENFP's are better than INFJ's.

This my friend is Ni for me. It's getting behind the intentions of others and situations to understand the real system of how things are being run. This leads Ni users to be extremely distrustful, at least for me, because you begin to question everyone's intentions and motives. I'm the supreme conspiracy theorist but mostly that information stays to myself, unless I can explain logically why I think the way I do and present facts of my theories.
I don't think he is being greedy. He is asking a question about functions.

I have read that our reverse functions are really strong, we just never use them...
apparently it like... hurts to use them. thats what I got from reading it.
check out (in article section of ENFP board) The Best ENFP guide ever written.
then scroll down to where the functions descriptions are... it isn't MBTI. but I found some validity in this theory.

thats how I figured out my type.
cause I read a lot about Fi
and while I altogether don't really understand Ne and Ni too well, I really dislike using Fi. I am horrible at it.
and according to that article Fi is my weakest function, but very strong... just hurts to use it.

... at least I think so. I would have to 100% understand the definitions others use for the functions.

however... a lot of what we read, may or may not be true. remember that personalities and typing is just a theoretical system right now. One that I believe, is more supported because it is currently important (and seen as such) as a set of theories and I say... give it 5 - 10 years and it will have most of the kinks worked out. We can more readily explain matters like these.
you could email or message someone to ask, who is more of a professional with types.
who has been studying it for quite a while and can get you a more definitive answer.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I don't think he is being greedy. He is asking a question about functions.
Sorry Green Coyote, but I think you misunderstood me. I was just giving an example of what Ni can do. By no means do I think he is greedy. Please don't put words in my mouth that were not implied.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
you said,

"That makes you greedy and since you're greedy, you're going to use this description in order to get credit that you know what Ni is about and everyone will be impressed by you and call you a psychic or mystic."

so... I am not putting words in your mouth.
I felt that whatever you said, and whatever interpretation you meant to have with your feelings, I misunderstood.
so apologizes, but I defended a possible other person that might be offended by what you wrote.
thats all.

I can see what you wrote being a possible truth. not sure that is what is going on though. sorry.
at least it didn't seem that way by the OP's question.

but... if he feels you answered the question correctly and he is helped by it than totally disregard everything I am writing.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why is the sky blue? ..(cut)..
Interesting, I'm curious to see if other INFJs in the forum feel the same way you do.

My interest in developing my Ni (and other weaker functions, such as sensing, which I've had a long distain for but have come to realize is an important part of being a well-balanced person) specifically has to do with a Socionics profile I read of IEE (ENFP equivalent), which said Ni is used by IEE/ENFPs, but more in private, and has a positive outlet in things like art and music composition. Since I'm studying music composing and am in a disassociative-feeling state often when I compose well, I want to have a better understanding of this side of me that I have to tap into fairly frequently, even though it's not my "primary". =)

The Socionist: IEE Extended Type Description

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you said,

"That makes you greedy and since you're greedy, you're going to use this description in order to get credit that you know what Ni is about and everyone will be impressed by you and call you a psychic or mystic."

so... I am not putting words in your mouth.
I felt that whatever you said, and whatever interpretation you meant to have with your feelings, I misunderstood ..(cut)..
To give an honest answer (so as to not let this get out of hand), the way it was worded, I understood the example as an example, although the fact that it happened to be a really negative one seemed to imply that it was "what first came to mind", a Freudian emotional slip. But I know that especially first impressions can be really confusing, so I just took it as an example. In the past, I think my F would have felt passive-aggressive signals intuitively, but I've been wrong about those kind of signals in first impressions over the internet (since I read people physically a lot, voice, face etc), so I didn't feel that way, even though I *noticed* that it could be construed that way if that makes sense. Either way I don't want that aspect to become a dominant point in this thread since I want the thread to keep relevant to the original topic of Ni development in an Ne-dominant individual =)

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
I feel that functions that are not a natural stable part of someones personality can be used and developed but not without some level of distortion or instability arising, maybe detrimentally. I feel its better to fine-tune what you already have rather than try to suppress it in favour of something less stable even if it might have merits. Even though I would encourage experimenting I wouldn't try to force or simulate what doesn't come naturally. My advice is just be happy in your ENFP world, its all good.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel that functions that are not a natural stable part of someones personality can be used and developed but not without some level of distortion or instability arising, maybe detrimentally. I feel its better to fine-tune what you already have rather than try to suppress it in favour of something less stable even if it might have merits. Even though I would encourage experimenting I wouldn't try to force or simulate what doesn't come naturally. My advice is just be happy in your ENFP world, its all good.
I think developing weaker functions is important, though, or else your dominant function will get out of control / be blind to its own blind spots. Because N is dominant in ENFPs, Ni is still used pretty frequently by ENFPs, albeit, not usually *visible* to others. Same with Extraverted Feeling; it often becomes necessary in social circumstances to go with the flow, even if it isn't as natural and dominant as with INFJs. This is in the same way it's not like INFJs don't have values or make value decisions just because Fi is not on their spectrum. I think it's valuable to learn from outside of your own "expertise."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts