Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a boss who's an INTJ. We get along great, and I really like him. And to be honest, he's one of the best bosses I've ever had. He can make I say this because I don't want to give the impression that I'm being negative or complaining. It's just that I've found that getting along with similar types can be more difficult than getting along with completely different types if you let certain issues fester. With different types, you're usually not surprised when they do something differently than you would. With similar types, it's easy to be lulled into a sense that they're just the same as you are and then get confused as to why it is that they're being so difficult all of the sudden (when the reality is that they're just different enough to upset your sense of order in the universe).

That said, the main issue that I have is (surprise!) that my boss is a planner. He wants to know what's going to happen ahead of time. Plus, he's a bit of a stickler to schedules. There's nothing wrong with this. In fact, I enjoy it when somebody makes me stop and think about what I'm doing ahead of time. Plus, we usually agree on the best course of action to take when planning. The disconnect is that I'm likely to figure out something that I feel is better while I'm actually implementing those plans and go with it. I think his point of view is that I'm too easily distracted, and there's some truth to that up to a point. Plus, he probably doesn't like the surprise of me doing things differently. The thing is that sometimes really good things come out of that distraction.

This is all to be expected when working with a J type, and I want to learn to work well with that. However, I simply can't make myself into an INTJ even if I wanted to. These kinds of surprises are something that are just going to happen, and I want to make that process as painless as possible. Do any of you guys have any advice for me on this subject?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There's a line between having a plan and micromanaging. Having a plan is knowing what the end result should be, and having a way to reach that end result. If he is not the one carrying out the plan, then he simply has to deal with variations that his individual workers might find easier or better. Micromanaging is deciding that boxes should be cut with a box cutter and then having a fit when somebody uses scissors. So somebody is more comfortable using scissors. Big deal. It still allows them to reach the end result.

If those are the kinds of issues you are encountering with him....Him having one thing in mind but you're just finding something different that still allows you to reach the same end result or a better end result, then I wouldn't worry much about it. Its something he's just going to have to get over and maybe he'll learn to appreciate it. He might already if better things are coming out of it. He may be annoyed, but that doesn't mean he's not happy with the results.

It might help if you let him know you are going to deviate from his plan because you've found something better. Present him with the logic and its doubtful he'd mind too much.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
ggmmgmph. so . . . i'm an intj and while i've never managed anybody everything i do for a living is done as one part of a team. i could bat for either side about this [i'm privileged to have a near-0 level of scrutiny because nobody knows wtf my 'people' do]. and i have a couple of thoughts.

i think it's important not to make assumptions about why it bothers him so much. is it a timeline disruption because of dependencies? or is it you not doing things in the way that he wants you to?

if it's the former [get it done by] then i'm going to be semi-tough love. you are responsible for the deadlines you've undertaken to meet. if there is ANYTHING that is going to jeopardize that . . . it's not a matter of 'it's carved into stone and now you have to.' nor is it a matter of blame. but you shouldn't just unilaterally wander off script.

if it's the latter [do it this way] then i hate it when people knee-jerk say this but i do think you should re-examine whether he's intj. the easiest litmus test about that, of course, is to say 'why should it matter how i did it? back off'. if you find yourself fired for insubordination you probably weren't working for an intj. if you get some form of 'true dat' or an explanation about why it matters, you may be.

it's basically about dependencies. i would assume anyway, unless he really is a micro-obsessed control freak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts