Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I easily look down on people who conform A LOT, have sheep-like tendencies and also people who are wannabes. I also look down on people who are very subjective, superficial/shallow and opinionated. How do I stop looking down on them? I hate it so much and I know I'm not better than them, I just feel like I am sometimes. I grew up being a wannabe conformist during middle school so I now see through all the people who still act like that too and think they're cool or who think that that's what being cool is all about. I think there are a lot of INTJs who have narcissistic tendencies but I don't believe I'm a narcissist. Is there any advice from INTJs who used to be like this or are still dealing with this kind of stuff? I figured it was because I am still quite young and may just be immature. I want to enjoy being around different people but sometimes I feel like my friends are lame because of the way they act and view things. Please, any advice?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quite a bit is about understanding the tendencies. It can be quite frustrating if an individual seems to be following a herd for the sake of fitting in, though it's a secure station. A place where they feel certain harmony within interactions and thought, the price of which would cut out from a more individualistic sense of freedom out in the open. The issue concerned would be those who take that within automation and make it part of their individualistic sense of self. Where a person who once had his/her own personal thoughts and opinions may no longer adhere to them even in private and so they become a bit more troublesome when getting to know on a more personal level. Of course the coin may be flipped to view things within the other end.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are you concerned with what others do?
I don't know if it's necessarily being concerned with what they do but it's just hard to look at them as an equal individual when they don't seem to have a mind of their own.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I easily look down on people who conform A LOT, have sheep-like tendencies and also people who are wannabes. I also look down on people who are very subjective, superficial/shallow and opinionated. How do I stop looking down on them? I hate it so much and I know I'm not better than them, I just feel like I am sometimes. I grew up being a wannabe conformist during middle school so I now see through all the people who still act like that too and think they're cool or who think that that's what being cool is all about. I think there are a lot of INTJs who have narcissistic tendencies but I don't believe I'm a narcissist. Is there any advice from INTJs who used to be like this or are still dealing with this kind of stuff? I figured it was because I am still quite young and may just be immature. I want to enjoy being around different people but sometimes I feel like my friends are lame because of the way they act and view things. Please, any advice?
I do this too and it brings me anguish in the same way as it does to you.

Yesterday I discovered that if I stop thinking about people altogether, the attitude disappears.

PM me if you like, this might take some discussion in order to understand for yourself.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Spend some time around some actually intelligent people. That's a good way to put anyone in their place.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
I realized that I'm not really superior to anyone after realizing that the INTJ style of thinking is simply different, not better overall, than others. It's a lot easier to see this once you get out into the world and realize that their way works just fine in a lot of situations - and that ours fails in some of such scenarios. Just because you find it meaningful to think "differently" doesn't mean the rest of the world does; and there are more kinds of intelligence than the one you define for yourself.

It's good to see that you see your youth as a possible contributor to your skewed worldview at the moment. Enjoy your Te growth stage. The Fi stage sucks ass.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
It sounds like you are looking into the warped mirror. The things you dislike most about yourself (especially if you've overcome that part of yourself) are considerably more pronounced and frustrating in other people. It's like a distasteful reminder. Just be confident in who you are and don't worry so much about becoming that person you used to be again. It's not like a disease that will overtake you suddenly. :p You chose to grow as a person, and it's a choice to go back....and since it bothers you so much, I highly doubt that you make that choice.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,601 Posts
I don't think INTJs have narcissistic tendencies any more than other types. That's a stereotype.

It's normal for people to look at any person who isn't in their group with a bias of their own superiority until they actually take time to get over their own ignorance.

You have weak points as well as any others. Forgive theirs and hope that they forgive yours.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Stop being an ass...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
No, I'm a freshman in college. I guess that's pretty close.
As close as you can get!
I'd say... it's just the immaturity you are around.
And while you might *be* smarter than them... it is easier to ignore them.
There are ALWAYS going to be ignorant people in the world, the thing is, you are forced to be around them now... Still I wouldn't look down on them, better to talk to them, be helpful, and educate them. Many are open minded they are just ignorant.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Stop being an ass...
I'm trying to man but its easier said than done...that's why I'm asking for some advice. I hate doing this and when I was a conformist, I was happier. I'm trying to use MBTI for self improvement and to better understand people and I know I have the wrong outlook on this. Just seeing if anyone went through this phase and knows the fastest way out. I'm tired of it and I know this is a HORRIBLE trait.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm trying to man but its easier said than done...that's why I'm asking for some advice. I hate doing this and when I was a conformist, I was happier. I'm trying to use MBTI for self improvement in order to better understand people and I know I have the wrong outlook on this. Just seeing if anyone went through this phase and knows the fastest way out.
I know this one!

Stop giving a shit. It works wonders. Especially when they are belligerently idiotic.

Or play with them like rats in a maze. See what kind of hoops you can get the little conformists to jump through. If you do this successfully they won't even realize how much control they've forfeited over to you.

Actually do both and then report back here with your results.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It sounds like you are looking into the warped mirror. The things you dislike most about yourself (especially if you've overcome that part of yourself) are considerably more pronounced and frustrating in other people. It's like a distasteful reminder. Just be confident in who you are and don't worry so much about becoming that person you used to be again. It's not like a disease that will overtake you suddenly. :p You chose to grow as a person, and it's a choice to go back....and since it bothers you so much, I highly doubt that you make that choice.
Hmmm...never thought of it like that. Makes a lot of sense. You look at people and see the way you used to act in them and it brings frustration since you've gotten past it. Seeing that makes you afraid that you might have to go back to that stage correct? Interesting way of looking at it. That might be the partial reason.

Before I knew about MBTI, I used to think that I just matured faster than others and that people get over conformity once they've reached manhood or something and I continuously sought out for people who have and couldn't find any. I felt like I was the adult and that they were still children but it looks like I'm the one who is immature. Funny how that works.

Reactions: Alysaria

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know this one!

Stop giving a shit. It works wonders. Especially when they are belligerently idiotic.

Or play with them like rats in a maze. See what kind of hoops you can get the little conformists to jump through. If you do this successfully they won't even realize how much control they've forfeited over to you.

Actually do both and then report back here with your results.
Lol! That sounds a little evil to me. I actually dislike manipulating people mainly because one of my fears is to be manipulated myself. I do do it sometimes but it's usually when people misunderstand me and I don't address their misunderstanding, allowing them to really think I am what they are thinking I am (a potential serial killer since I never smile and act aloof) but that seems like indirect manipulation. I sometimes feed people false information when they are annoying me with their assumptions or trick them just to observe how they would act but I don't see that as a good habit. I find it fun but if I was really using them, it might be interesting at first but I'd feel guilt and probably wouldn't be able to look at people the same way or the way I'm trying to look at them: as people. I'll forever look at people as pawns since there are more conformist than individuals. lol this was funny though.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts