Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions? im fucked up right now lol.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hypnotherapy? I wish I had an answer to that - it would solve a few of my problems. I hate the word "lazy", though.

To answer your question... If I knew the answer I wouldn't be here. I think my laziness stems from the need to constantly bombard myself with information from the interwebs, like crack or heroin addicts I am an internet junkie. Though ATM I have the excuse of being at work, though I guess I could be studying for my damned CCNA but my procrastination is also an issue but one I haven't quite figured out yet ;)

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
You could try doing something.

You obviously grasp the concept that being lazy is something to change, a flaw. I argue that your post is not much more than you seeking a distraction from doing something "productive". Do you actually not want to be lazy, or do you just feel obligated to "do something" about it (this thread) while avoiding the responsibility to actually do something?

Nothing about "making a list" (or a similar aid), is going to fix it for you; the idea behind lists are giving you structure to do something.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
They need to perfect those devices that allow you to control your computer with your brain. The one that you can attach to your head.

I usually have my feet up so I can reach my mouse but I can't reach my keyboard so I don't always write every post that comes to mind and click off to a different thread instead. Do you have any idea how many more posts I would've written if I wrote every post that I wrote in my mind but never typed out? Not to mention, half the time I'll forget some of the stuff I'm intending to write while I'm waiting for my fingers to type it all out.

I'd be way more productive in general if the computer was just directly connected to my brain (not just because I have my feet up when surfing PerC :laughing:).

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Nothing about "making a list" (or a similar aid), is going to fix it for you; the idea behind lists are giving you structure to do something.
That's not true. When I'm feeling lethargic about something I have to do, writing it out in a numbered list and figuring out what needs to be done makes it a lot easier to start doing it. I envy people with Te that do that automatically in their head, and is also partly why they're more productive.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
Both of which are not against what I said, a list as organization is a structure. Knowing how to carry something out is important, otherwise you're not going to know how to do it (naturally).

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Both of which are not against what I said, a list as organization is a structure. Knowing how to carry something out is important, otherwise you're not going to know how to do it (naturally).
That's not what I meant. I said it's easier to do it once I've written it out because once it's written out and I know what needs to be done I'll be more motivated to do it. It's also easier to do the task when it's broken down into smaller chunks that aren't as daunting as looking at the task as one piece.

·
Registered
457 Posts
That's not what I meant. I said it's easier to do it once I've written it out because once it's written out and I know what needs to be done I'll be more motivated to do it. It's also easier to do the task when it's broken down into smaller chunks that aren't as daunting as looking at the task as one piece.
I can see that, generally writing things out don't help me.... but on occasions I've managed to break down the things I need to do into simple steps that make it easier to perform and thus I may actually do them.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have absolutely no idea where you're seeing a difference.
You said making lists isn't going to help you stop being lazy.

You as an ENTP will be more likely to want to go interact with your environment when you get an idea to do something, so you'll go thrash around and do something. When I get an idea, that means I'll want to go lay on the couch and analyze what it is, not plan out the steps to getting it done. The analysis will usually make me decide to not want to do it.

Planning stuff out in my head is draining and difficult, and I'll usually rather just go surf the internet or something, but writing some steps down is a little easier.

I'm a lot better when I can put self into a position of reacting to and doing analysis on things rather starting things up on my own. This is why I make sure I have an ENTJ subordinate on the projects I'm in charge of because they talk before thinking and give me plenty of relevant actions to do analysis on, not to mention bullying me into action by pestering me about things that need to get done.

Anyway, just deciding to try doing something is pointless because it doesn't result in anything.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
I suppose I could've been clearer, but I didn't say that a list is not going to work. I was referring to why a list can help you (and probably why it doesn't work for some people), the reason behind list-writing. The structure from a list allows easier way into doing something, I wasn't implying that a list is useless at all.

@Jerick
All the methods to "fix" laziness are essentially doing the same thing, making it manageable to deal with.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The only way to defeat laziness is to jump through the wall of lazy fire and start "doing". I've bee on both sides. For the last... couple years I've been on the lazy side of the wall of fire. I haven't the desire to leap through, so doing so is quite a challenge. But one day, if I get that anxiety to start "doing" again (related to success -- the job, school) then I will once again leap through that wall.

Really there is no remedy other than really wanting "action".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts