Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys describe Si (and Te)? What activities do you notice utilize those functions in an enjoyable way?

How do you discipline yourselves to stay organized and committed to projects (...and people..)?

How do you resist the temptation of going out and socializing when there's work to be done?

How do you stop yourself from quickly rationaliizing impulse decisions that throw off your long-term goals?

I'm not 100% sure on my type (could be ENTP/ESTP/ENFP), but I'm no ISTJ, and I definitely don't share your functions. Alas, I'm an Accountant major, and I think if I developed my Si/Te AND learned your secrets for your steadfast discipline, I could do a lot better in the subject. It's not so much an intelligence issue, as I do well in nearly all other subjects (like philosophy, science, maths, languages, etc). At least, I don't THINK it is. heh

Share your secrets, I'm completely jealous of you guys. :crazy:

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Can you guys describe Si (and Te)? What activities do you notice utilize those functions in an enjoyable way?

How do you discipline yourselves to stay organized and committed to projects (...and people..)?

How do you resist the temptation of going out and socializing when there's work to be done?

How do you stop yourself from quickly rationaliizing impulse decisions that throw off your long-term goals?

I'm not 100% sure on my type (could be ENTP/ESTP/ENFP), but I'm no ISTJ, and I definitely don't share your functions. Alas, I'm an Accountant major, and I think if I developed my Si/Te AND learned your secrets for your steadfast discipline, I could do a lot better in the subject. It's not so much an intelligence issue, as I do well in nearly all other subjects (like philosophy, science, maths, languages, etc). At least, I don't THINK it is. heh

Share your secrets, I'm completely jealous of you guys. :crazy:
how do i discipline myself and stay commited to projects?
i dont, i only choose the projects that interest me, so its more like play than work. but when i find myslef doing something i dont want to, like at school or something, i convince myself its a means to an end. i tell myself "just get through this and you can move on to phase 2". when im at work, im just like, well what im doing sucks but your getting paid so suck it up.

how do i resist the temptation of socializing?
there is no temptation, i actually expend energy when forced to talk to people, especially people i dont like. sometimes i try really hard to fight the urge to stay silent, but im only able to utter a few vowls.

Dickface: hey mercer

Mercer: uugh!

i dont really understand that last one. there are no impulse decisions.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Its not about being like us but being the most mature you. Understanding where your faults are and do the right thing to avoid problematic situations regardless of temptations or public appearance. The best way I could sum up how to move forward is to embrace responsibility, and contribute the best you can in your own way.

Our types often build principles about what is correct to do vs. what is a risk and simply avoid risks, and that contributes towards discipline. Thats not your strength, I wouldn't suggest working towards it.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Its not about being like us but being the most mature you. Understanding where your faults are and do the right thing to avoid problematic situations regardless of temptations or public appearance. The best way I could sum up how to move forward is to embrace responsibility, and contribute the best you can in your own way.

Our types often build principles about what is correct to do vs. what is a risk and simply avoid risks, and that contributes towards discipline. Thats not your strength, I wouldn't suggest working towards it.
I think Wake kind of nailed it. I'm ISFJ, but Si is also my dominant function.

When I read your questions, it's almost like you're asking me how do I breathe. The things you're asking how I do are things that I naturally do. It bothers me when I don't do those things.

If I still have work to be done, I can't enjoy myself if I'm out socializing with people. I have to fight to have a good time because my mind is on the work.

My mind is constantly organizing itself. Over and over again I naturally think about what I have to do and the order I have to do it in. I would have to fight myself not to do that.

Same thing with impulse decisions. I have trouble making impulse decisions...I don't make a conscious effort not to do them.

It's certainly a good thing to want to improve yourself, and it's not a bad idea to look into strengthening your weaker functions. But that shouldn't be your top priority with things like work. Like Wake said, it's more important to find ways to utilize your own strengths that come to you naturally, and to find something that lets you utilize those strengths. Otherwise, you're always going to be fighting an uphill battle, no matter how well trained your Si is.

And believe me, I understand what it's like to feel type-jealous. Other types have strengths that sometimes I wish I naturally had. But I remind myself that they have weaknesses that I don't, and I have strengths that they naturally don't have. So keep in mind that you have ENTP strengths that other types don't.

I usually am really good at answering questions about my type, but like I said, it's hard for me to give you any advice because all of the things you mentioned are things that I do on auto-pilot...my mind just naturally does them, there's not really a strong conscious effort to make myself do them.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I don't think I have much more to add. Perhaps it would be best to ask this in the ENTP forum, since other like-minded people might be able to help you out with this better than we can with some of your questions (after all, we have different sets of functions).

Honestly, does accounting make you very happy? It's probably not a good idea to be an accountant if it doesn't interest you that much. Maybe you can't really know how much you like accounting if you haven't taken that much yet, though.

I'm not sure what type one of my accounting professors is (but I seriously doubt he's a sensor, he talks about concepts and how we accountants craved structure too much, so I think he must be an N). But he gave the advice that you should try to find topics in accounting you are really interested in. This can help to bring accounting to life for you. After all, I do think some of the courses aren't very interesting (like Intermediate Accounting, too many rules, I hated it), but there are other areas that I like, or perceive I would like (I've only taken Principles 1 and 2, Intermediate Accounting 1 and 2, Cost Accounting, and Auditing. . . I suspect that I would like tax accounting and accounting information systems and know I enjoy managerial accounting).

I guess it would be a good idea to research some topics and find ones that you like, and that will make accounting easier (since if you become more interested in accounting, it's easier to motivate yourself to keep going with it).

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hah, I don't want to be a full time ISTJ...just a "full-time" ISTJ. That is, 9 to 5. I went after Accounting solely for the practicality - and once I discovered how much I HATED it, it was too late to change my major. :crazy: So I dug my grave, now I shall lie in it. I have a plan, though...I'll just get my degree and THEN I'll take a new path in life. Using my degree only as a fall-back.

I struggle in the Accounting classes though. In all my other classes, I literally top the class. Straight A"s without cracking open a book - using only logic. But in Accounting, I failed Intermediate Accounting once and got a C- the second time. And I STUDIED for that class. For hours and hours and hours and hours. Not saying my type is solely to blame, but the presumed ISTJs did great.

It's just hard to believe that Si can come so automatically. Obviously, that's a typocentric view, being that I'm NOT an ISTJ. But my hope was that you guys could rattle off some fun/stimulating activities that could painlessly "exercise" my Si. And then I could masquerade as you guys for one third of the day. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Well, I don't really have enough self-discipline to make myself do things I really hate, so I try to avoid them if at all possible. Realistically, I'll try to do a little more than the minimum requirement if I hate something, but it won't get my full attention.

I hope you're not screwed though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hah, I don't want to be a full time ISTJ...just a "full-time" ISTJ. That is, 9 to 5. I went after Accounting solely for the practicality - and once I discovered how much I HATED it, it was too late to change my major. :crazy: So I dug my grave, now I shall lie in it. I have a plan, though...I'll just get my degree and THEN I'll take a new path in life. Using my degree only as a fall-back.

I struggle in the Accounting classes though. In all my other classes, I literally top the class. Straight A"s without cracking open a book - using only logic. But in Accounting, I failed Intermediate Accounting once and got a C- the second time. And I STUDIED for that class. For hours and hours and hours and hours. Not saying my type is solely to blame, but the presumed ISTJs did great.

It's just hard to believe that Si can come so automatically. Obviously, that's a typocentric view, being that I'm NOT an ISTJ. But my hope was that you guys could rattle off some fun/stimulating activities that could painlessly "exercise" my Si. And then I could masquerade as you guys for one third of the day. :tongue:
If it don't fit don't force it! You are trying to be something you are not and it won't work long term, a sure recipe for unhappiness.

I am an ISTJ and I hate accountancy. I did actually work as an auditor for two years but hated every minute of it, I handed my notice in after I had been accepted on a chemistry degree course. Never looked back, enjoyed 20 years as a research chemist until being made redundant last year (Job moved to China).

Don't try to change your personality if you are being serious ( and I'm not entirely sure you are), embrace and be proud of who you are and find a degree major that you do enjoy and can study and do well at. Finding what fits best for your personality is a far better strategy for success than trying to force fit your personality to be good at an unsuitable study subject and eventually an unsuitable career.

I could not bring myself to study for accountancy exams, however, science did and still does hold a fascination for me. So find whatever it is that you enjoy, are "passionate" about (if you are an F) even if it is in a subject that seems useless for getting a job (one of the arts, for example) and follow your dream.

Don't try and force the square peg into the round hole!

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
...if you are being serious ( and I'm not entirely sure you are)...
Yeah, pretty much the OP is playing y'all for a bunch of noobs. Just the idea of being an SJ would be enough to get the OP to seriously contemplate slitting their wrists.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeah, pretty much the OP is playing y'all for a bunch of noobs. Just the idea of being an SJ would be enough to get the OP to seriously contemplate slitting their wrists.

If the OP is trolling then they should be banned. What evidence do you have for this transgression of forum ettiquette?? Should we report them to the moderators??

Being an SJ can be a great thing as if you can stand it an accountant can earn SERIOUS money. Especially a management accountant.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
If the OP is trolling then they should be banned. What evidence do you have for this transgression of forum ettiquette?? Should we report them to the moderators??

Being an SJ can be a great thing as if you can stand it an accountant can earn SERIOUS money. Especially a management accountant.
I don't think they should be banned...and no, don't report them to the moderators--they're being a nice troll. :tongue:

Stop being so concrete and use that Ne you've got hidden away.:cool:

FWIW, the OP is only half serious and half pulling your leg. But when you take it all serious like...the ENTP prankster side is hard to resist.:crazy:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't have any ne hidden away. I read about the E the I the S the N the T the F the J and the P and concluded I am lucky to have the best combination.

I cannot see the practical application of Si, of Ne etc so have lost interest in those "functions".

BTW, I think the OP is being serious, if they are not being serious, they should be. He/she should be jealous of the capabillites of the ISTJ that an ENTP almost entirely lacks.

And no, I will not stop being so concrete. I like concrete. Especially for boots.

Ruthless logic and data will solve any problem.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I don't have any ne hidden away. I read about the E the I the S the N the T the F the J and the P and concluded I am lucky to have the best combination.

I cannot see the practical application of Si, of Ne etc so have lost interest in those "functions".

BTW, I think the OP is being serious, if they are not being serious, they should be. He/she should be jealous of the capabillites of the ISTJ that an ENTP almost entirely lacks.

And no, I will not stop being so concrete. I like concrete. Especially for boots.

Ruthless logic and data will solve any problem.
ISTJ primary functions are Si-Te-Fi-Ne. So yeah, it's not the most comfortable, but you do have a bit of Ne tucked away in there somewhere. All of the functions have practical application and are really what makes each type who they are. IOW, ISTJ is just a label much like duty-fulfiller. What makes us an ISTJ is the preference and order of our functions. Using Si and Te in combination is what makes you such a concrete thinker.

But concrete boots have such a limiting application.:crazy:

Ruthless logic and data will not solve all problems. Get in a fight with your SO and try that ruthless logic and data bit and I'll ask you "how is that working for you?" (in my best Dr. Phil voice):laughing:

The OP is just having a bit of fun with no harm done. Don't get too uptight about what is posted on the internet.:cool:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:crazy:

The one time I try to be serious. Perhaps changing my "mood" will help....bwahaha I forgot about that. There.

Well, the 50% of "the OP" that's not banned would like to insist that "they're" 100% serious. If it weren't for my major, I'd have no interest in developing SJ fur. *that does not sound right...but you get the idea*

But as I said, I was far too hasty about declaring a major, and now I'm stuck being the class idiot. Might as well try to shimmy myself into the peg for another few semesters. Only a few to go! But I've decided that I won't pursue Accounting as a career...only as a back up if entrepreneurship/traveling/teaching abroad doesn't work out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
" But I've decided that I won't pursue Accounting as a career...only as a back up if entrepreneurship/traveling/teaching abroad doesn't work out.
"

Good plan, BTW I only half thought you were trolling! :wink: It was that naughty Niss that led us astray:wink::wink: :dry::dry::dry::dry:

I'm sure you will make a go of being a travelling teaching entrepreneur!

Good Luck.
JGM

·
Registered
217 Posts
ISTJ primary functions are Si-Te-Fi-Ne. So yeah, it's not the most comfortable, but you do have a bit of Ne tucked away in there somewhere. All of the functions have practical application and are really what makes each type who they are. IOW, ISTJ is just a label much like duty-fulfiller. What makes us an ISTJ is the preference and order of our functions. Using Si and Te in combination is what makes you such a concrete thinker.

But concrete boots have such a limiting application.:crazy:

Ruthless logic and data will not solve all problems. Get in a fight with your SO and try that ruthless logic and data bit and I'll ask you "how is that working for you?" (in my best Dr. Phil voice):laughing:

The OP is just having a bit of fun with no harm done. Don't get too uptight about what is posted on the internet.:cool:
Don;t worry, I'm not being up tight, in fact i think the OP was being serious and i was just joking with you with my post.

My SO is also an SJ and a lot of trouble!

have you seen how Spock (ISTJ) and Dr McCoy (ESFJ) get on, well its just like that!

·
Banned
466 Posts
For me I am someone who greatly enjoys and values progression, and seeing the big picture being formed, whether it be in my own hobbies and becoming better at them, or on a bigger scale such as seeing a cityscape grow and become more dense over time. Basically anything that involves discipline and takes time I'm slowly able to notice the progression at work and each further step I go I find to be very rewarding as it is further affirmation that the big picture is becoming fully clear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts