Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sixteen years old and female. I'm a sophomore in highschool. Currently I don't have many friends and spend the majority of my time alone in my room. This is alright with me as I need a lot of alone time to think, read, relax, surf the web, and do everything that I enjoy doing. (Being around other people, especially people my age, can make me feel incredibly uncomfortable and awkward so it's always a releif to finally get back into my room at the end of a school day.)

However, lately I've been feeling a bit lonely. I can't help but wonder what it would be like to hang out with friends on a Friday night instead of surfing the web or playing bass in my room. I don't care for the small "group of friends" that I am currently a part of, as they are mostly religious, closed-minded and boring people. Therefore I don't like hanging out with them and I've been intentionally drifting apart from them over the past 2 years. (The only reason they are my friends is because they have been my friends since elementary school and I've never known how to make new ones.)

I would really like to befriend some people who are more like me, preferably INTP's, or at least one INTP. I have no one to discuss ideas or interesting topics with currently, and if I had friends like this I would probably enjoy hanging out with them and would possibly be able spend less time alone. I attend the largest private highschool in the country (America), so I don't know even half of the other sophomores. This is an advantage because INTP's make up such a small percent of the population. It is also an advantage because I don't have to worry as much about cliques or reputations when trying to meet someone new.

How exactly can I go about identifying other INTP's and then trying to befriend them? I have a very hard time with socializing and innitiating conversation with new people, which seems necessary in order to assess and type them and then befriend them. I don't know how to go about finding these people in the first place, either. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Ok. Firstly, build an INTP detector device. Go to class, work, some place with your friends, etc., and try to use it. If anyone asks what you're doing, fill them in on the details. Whoever is the first person to point out why the INTP detector device won't work is an INTP. :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Firstly, build an INTP detector device. Go to class, work, some place with your friends, etc., and try to use it. If anyone asks what you're doing, fill them in on the details. Whoever is the first person to point out why the INTP detector device won't work is an INTP. :wink:
INTP's generally would rather not be detected. I don't know if that's what you're trying to imply.

Unless it's just the obvious fact that it would be impossible to build a personality type detector device. rofl.

·
Registered
351 Posts
First of all, greetings from a seventeen-year-old senior who identifies with you enormously. :happy: Luckily, I already went through the "Oh, God, all of my friends are people I have nothing in common with and I don't know how to make new ones" crisis, but now I'm anticipating going through something similar in college. Minus the existing friends. :confused:

So, after the really long and unnecessary introduction (Nice to meet you!), I must confess that my friends, for the most part, were the ones who plopped down and started talking to me. My best friends are an ENFP, an INTP, and an INFP--in other words, all strong Ne users with very little Fe in there. The INFP and ENFP just sat down and cheerfully introduced themselves, thus eliminating any need for me to initiate contact. The INTP was a friend of the ENFP, and we had this quick, sort of magnetic connection.

Perhaps the best advice is to talk to the people who barely ever speak, and if they turn out to be grammar nerds obsessed with things like theatre, Victor Hugo, or chemistry, you've got your INTP.

I met the only other INTP I know in German class, and for some reason, I was immediately fond of him. If you find that you like someone, talk to them. I guess. Or join a club you're interested in?

...Oh, wait, there's a really high INTP population lurking in the library, too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had the fortune of befriending an ENTP early on in my high school years, and as a result have been very socially secure for the last five years. Often, throughout that time, we find ourselves 'tag-teaming' through whatever life may bring; His need for social interaction brings me out of my cave and engaging in social scenarios, while my discretion and calm (almost apathetic) demeanor handles many of our professional obligations (During an incident with a breach of our lease, he was extremely angry and confrontational. I was able to pinpoint a clause in our lease that prevented our eviction, and calmly explained it to our manager)

We have been room mates for three two years now -- we are in agreement that constant exposure to any of our other friends would cause a serious disruption in our ability to function as individuals at home.

The point I make: Depending on the the level of shared experiences two xNTPs have, there is a great potential for the expansion of either parties' social, professional, and academic efficiency when paired.

With the above stated, I must say that we also wish we could meet others' like ourselves. We want to be able to share our ideas and battle our egos against others of our ilk, but alas such meetings are rare. A pair of females, one ENTP and one INTP would be perfect for a platonic gathering at the local 24-hour cafe. So fervent were we, we even considered posting and ad in the ft collins craig's list to attract competent people to talk to. Bah.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm sixteen years old and female. I'm a sophomore in highschool. Currently I don't have many friends and spend the majority of my time alone in my room. <[snip]> How exactly can I go about identifying other INTP's and then trying to befriend them? <[snip]> I don't know how to go about finding these people in the first place, either. Any advice would be much appreciated.
When you're not in your room, do things you enjoy doing, and pay attention to who else is doing them, too. If the activities are not "required" but are more elective, then perhaps similar interests, and maybe similar personalities, are participating. You might be on the lookout for small groups engaged in INTP-interesting activities such as computers, or languages, or sciences, or gaming. If your school has a career counseling office that helps students match interesting careers with future schools, after you have talked with them yourself about Myers-Briggs and Strong Vocational and others, you can talk with your classmates about those topics, which may give you opportunities to identify INTPs or NTs or Ns generally for potential friendships. Generally speaking, the college bound students will have more Ns among them, and thus a higher likelihood of INTPs. Do as well as you are able in school because that allows more future doors to open for you than would otherwise be the case. However, an understanding friend or two can be a wonderful, relaxing diversion, and occasionally helpful, too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Don't bother looking for other INTPs to hang out with. Just let social interaction happen, and whoever befriends you, befriends you. Join clubs that interest you, that sort of thing. Life's a lot less dull if you have friends of various personalities, and it helps you be a more well-rounded person. Quite a few of my friends are thoroughly extroverted, and that's helped me feel more comfortable around people. In my experience, other INTPs do have the potential to be good friends, but they can also cause a lot of problems. Conversely, the friends I "like" the most definitely aren't INTP. I haven't seen huge correlations between having similar personalities and being good friends. Humans are too complicated for that.

tl;dr: Don't limit yourself to INTPs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Take some Advanced Placement Biology, Chemistry, and especially Physics classes. They're smaller and allow for more socialization and team learning. I've met a few good NT friends in these classes, the classes I've been have been riddled with NT's, they're so fun and relaxing.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I only know one thinker. Well, she's supposedly an INTP, but she's tested as an INFP and an ISFP (which is the complete opposite in functions terms...so I'm guessing she just doesn't have a stable grasp of her own identity). We get on really well, but I probably have the best conversations with my ENFP friends. They seem to have the ability to draw out a lot of thoughts and feelings that you either didn't think you needed to share or didn't even know existed. The INTP-ENFP combination, IMO, has the potential to be very, very creative.

So I agree with @Noctuloquor that friends of different types are useful, but I would still LOVE to have an INTP like me as a friend (someone who knows they're an INTP and is interested in MBTI...like everyone in the subforum).

Problem is, I can't remember the last time I made a friend from scratch without outside help. Even if I saw someone I thought acted like an INTP or an INTP-friendly type, I would find it near impossible to start a conversation with them if they weren't already a friend of a friend.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Hmmm...

I think you need to construct a trap that would only attract INTP's. First, think of a class that would have the highest % of INTP's in, INFJ and ENFP's are fine too. Start infiltrating and be more open for communication, a smile now and then would help(force it if you need to).

But shit, INTP's are damn hard to identify, they are very variable. Some appear outgoing, others look pissed off all the time.

Point is, you don't need to befriend INTP's only, thats like hunting for a fish that is very hidish, an intp would understand relatively fast what your intent is, and they might react reluctant.

Look for what's compatible with you type-wise, that's a good first step.

Reactions: feefafo

·
Registered
226 Posts
If all else fails, ENTP is the second best thing to have as a friend I think.
I have one ENTP, one INFJ, and an ENFJ as my close friends. Although, their Fe's annoy me sometimes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Growing up as in INTP with social anxiety in small southern redneck town, before there was the internet to connect with the outside world, I had a very isolated life. The few close friends that I had in high school were mostly extroverts, they had to drag me out of my introvert shell. 20 years later I'm still friends with most of them, we seem to compliment each other well, they help me socialize more, and I help them to stop and think before making rash decisions.

I do think it would be interesting to meet other INTPs, maybe we should design a secrete symbol that we could wear to identify each other.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Honestly, I have mixed feelings for INTP friends.

I loath and hate them for being social outcast and inconsiderate.

I love them because they always almost have the same opinions and think at the same intensity.

INTP are typically the Nerds and Geeks who typically love everything scientific and technological. IMO they are the purest INTP who lead very happy lives despite being social outcast because they simply don't care about how people see them.

There are varient and secretive INTP who appear different but if you know them well enough as a close friend, they will reveal that they are actually closet Nerds and Geeks. They understand that society shuns these people and thus be otherwise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm sixteen years old and female. I'm a sophomore in highschool. Currently I don't have many friends and spend the majority of my time alone in my room. This is alright with me as I need a lot of alone time to think, read, relax, surf the web, and do everything that I enjoy doing. (Being around other people, especially people my age, can make me feel incredibly uncomfortable and awkward so it's always a releif to finally get back into my room at the end of a school day.)

However, lately I've been feeling a bit lonely. I can't help but wonder what it would be like to hang out with friends on a Friday night instead of surfing the web or playing bass in my room. I don't care for the small "group of friends" that I am currently a part of, as they are mostly religious, closed-minded and boring people. Therefore I don't like hanging out with them and I've been intentionally drifting apart from them over the past 2 years. (The only reason they are my friends is because they have been my friends since elementary school and I've never known how to make new ones.)

I would really like to befriend some people who are more like me, preferably INTP's, or at least one INTP. I have no one to discuss ideas or interesting topics with currently, and if I had friends like this I would probably enjoy hanging out with them and would possibly be able spend less time alone. I attend the largest private highschool in the country (America), so I don't know even half of the other sophomores. This is an advantage because INTP's make up such a small percent of the population. It is also an advantage because I don't have to worry as much about cliques or reputations when trying to meet someone new.

How exactly can I go about identifying other INTP's and then trying to befriend them? I have a very hard time with socializing and innitiating conversation with new people, which seems necessary in order to assess and type them and then befriend them. I don't know how to go about finding these people in the first place, either. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hello, female version of me. How have you been doing? I'm curious to hear the story of how you eloped from your dimension into ours.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In general, lab sciences at higher difficulty levels (honors, AP) are going to attract a lot of NTs, and the nature of lab work, particularly at the high school level, is such that interaction will be necessary. On the other hand, most of the time you have to choose your lab partners rather than have them assigned, and even if they are assigned you might end up in a group of people of types you're incompatible with. And it should go without saying that NTs do not have a monopoly on intelligence (or, for that matter, that "intelligence" only means the ability to take advanced school courses) - I took almost all AP classes and found each of the eight Myers-Briggs letters represented in my classes.

The lab work itself, mind you, is likely to be somewhat SJ in nature, particularly in chemistry classes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Growing up as in INTP with social anxiety in small southern redneck town, before there was the internet to connect with the outside world, I had a very isolated life. The few close friends that I had in high school were mostly extroverts, they had to drag me out of my introvert shell. 20 years later I'm still friends with most of them, we seem to compliment each other well, they help me socialize more, and I help them to stop and think before making rash decisions.
My father was in the Air Force all the way up until my high school graduation. Moving around constantly doesn't lend an INTP to having many friends unfortunately. Once I would meet an extrovert though, within a day or two they think I'm they're best friend but I feel like I barely know them. But they key is, they think they know you, and you start meeting their friends, and you run across people you get along with.

Thinking back, I don't think I've had any introvert friends. Best friend I ever had was... I'm gonna guess ENTP. Definitely E. I'm just guessing NTP because we related to each other well and were into all the same things. He constantly came to me for advice on his relationship, which was falling apart, but he was holding on for dear life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts