Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! Im INFP male, age 23, from Norway. :chat02:

I have several meaningful projects I want to finish but I simply cant find motivation to do so; because there is so much things to do.. I really have that inner passion for them
but it´s frustrating that I feel too overwhelmed and lazy to go though with it.

( I also have the constant pressure of society that wants me to do something "actual productive" instead of my own projects.. )

Anyone has some ideas or knowledge of how we INFPs can finish our projects?
and why do I think that it would be easier with an ENFJ gf >_>

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hiiii kataro214~

I feel your pain dude! Much love with this advice:

Do the work. Discipline > motivation. If you're into reading it, I'd recommend The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.

Write down all of the things you need to do. Break the listed tasks into smaller tasks.
Don't just "get out of bed". Throw off the blanket. Sit up. Get your legs on the floor. Then stand up.
Do one at a time at your own pace. What matters is progress.

( I also have the constant pressure of society that wants me to do something "actual productive" instead of my own projects.. )
Society doesn't care. If working on your projects brings you joy and fulfillment and you can still get by with day to day necessities, you're good to go.

When you get passionate about the process, you get committed to the following through. Are you passionate about the completed ideas for your projects? You don't seem passionate about the process, the work itself, hence the "laziness". I don't think people are lazy. I believe people can be afraid of their potential/efficacy, or misdirected in focus. Or daunted by the projected effort required, etc. Not interested in the process itself. Try to make things easier on yourself so its not as overwhelming.

Hope this helps, kachow! :cool:

P.S. Because ENFJ girls are awesome and will support you! YUSHAAAAA~

·
Registered
759 Posts
Are INFPs qualified to answer this question? You might be better off asking in another section, haha.

I don't think society thinks that much about you as you might think. Honestly, if everybody was under the impression of caring what everybody else thought, then theoretically, nobody is thinking of you because they're all thinking about themselves. I read a blog that spoke about the stages of life; how we spend the first part of our life caring what others think, the next part telling ourselves we don't care what others think, and the last part realising nobody was thinking of us in the first place. The sooner you realise this, the less time and energy you waste on the inessentials.

If you truly care about these projects, and they make you feel alive throughout completing them, then that's where your energy should be focused. Maybe the routine in which you go about doing these projects has sucked the joy out of it. INFPs don't particularly go by routine for too long: if they cannot change it or provide a new perspective, they get irritated, which will only encourage procrastination.

I'm assuming by now you must have ideas for these projects: why not get a large piece of paper and create a brainstorm for them? Use colours and pictures and anything that gives you a better sight into what you want by focusing on the main idea, then branch off pathways and smaller details that need to be mentioned. If you ever find yourself stalling your project and about to procrastinate, return to your brainstorm.

We are all of us on a countdown until our bodies expire, and are too busy doing the things we want to do until that day comes than worrying about if you're being productive for society's sake. Do what makes you feel alive. If you've done nothing about these projects within 6 months' time, you're only going to feel more like shit.

An ENFJ will support you, yes, but they won't motivate you. ENFJs like people with a good sense of self, independence, and sticks to their ambitions. If you cannot motivate yourself and do the work, they won't be around for very long. You'd be better off with an ESFJ.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,632 Posts
Tried and true advice:
You get off the forum and do it.

:tongue:

Seriously though!

But I do enjoy procrastinating on my work by coming on the forum. It's a bit of a break for the disciplined part of my brain. Then when I'm ready, I get off the forum and do the project! When you feel like talking in detail about your potential projects on here, it will probably be a sign that you're ready to begin.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
1 small step for an Infp, 1 giant leap for mankind. Take small steps. Just my experience, if I take on too many problems I eventually become dispassionate, and solve none. Know yourself, know your limits, know your style. Whatever you do, do it well.

Independence is a big factor, I hate seeing creativity being snuffed out in favor of acceptance. That's my biggest peeve. Truth being obscured by what is known. We know some things work, but other ideas work too.

I was lost in the sauce about the enfj part. Is it the extraversion, gender difference, or relationship within a project that would matter. And what would it have to do with you?

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Unless we're talking about absolute projects that have to be finished (like homework or taxes), I never want to be finished. Just putting in the time without an end destination is good enough for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I feel you

Hello there. :fall:
I have exactly the same problem.
For me, it started one year ago when I went to university and where I had the freedom of not going to classes and still being able to finish my university.Well, you can all guess how it all went....
I completely lost "some kind of routine programme" and that was bad. I stayed behind in my university, it affected my body ( I took some weight cause I didn't move so much), and generally, it was like a domino where everything went down without this bothersome "daily routine" that every infp hates.
But it's this strict routine that in the end, I realised its what makes me more productive and motivated.
Unfortunately though for me, one of the most difficult(and important) things is keeping a strict programme of my day.I knew I had to find a solution though and in the end, it wasn't that difficult.
The problem was actually my sleeping hours.i used to sleep real late like 2-3am and wake up like 10 in the morning feeling exhausted all day from this bad night sleep.Now,i have just begun sleeping like 23.00 and waking up at 7.00 and it's just wonderful.I can be productive this way and be more energised and focused on a daily plan.
Another thing is I'm trying to be more responsible in my duties and to try not to PROCRASTINATE.(another thing that damages me more that I thought).I'm used to being optimistic and take things more lightly but on some matters, I have to be more serious and responsible and I really want to be that way and change that.
Ι generally think that we have to face our weaknesses if we want to be more successful and happy.I was never very emotional and I learned to use more logic that my emotions and I love it.It's like I can see the same problem from 2 different sides and make better decisions on some matters.It was really useful and I think I became a stronger person.Now I want to be more sure of myself and more focused on my goals....it will be a difficult path but I hope I will succeed.No scratch that.. a confident person wouldn't have said it that way: IM GOING TO SUCCEED :tongue:
Seriously though if you have that many projects maybe you should take them little by little and not all together at once but when you work on them try to be more concentrated? and start thinking on ways you could be more motivated.Maybe sleeping earlier and having a better sleep will help you or maybe if you write your goals in a paper and stick it to your office so you can see it every day will help you stay more focused or maybe not :unsure:
Whatever it is...find it and become more awesome than ever :tongue:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks everyone!!

I have fever nowadays but I'm still more productive than ever..
Maybe my problem really is that I have too much fun, and should probably save the fun for weekends.
When I have fever, I can't have fun, so mby that's why I'm suddenly productive..
OR it's thanks to you guys :3 I never read books but I might consider this "War of Art" book, @UberY0shi! you all said helpful things actually. After I started I just keep rolling <3
"BigStupidGrin" was not very helpful though :p These projects of mine are already finished in my head, but I have to get them out and finished irl!

I do understand you though, I'm like that with singing. I want to be as good singer as I can be, meaning I will never be "finished" with this kind of project. I think everyone should have something to reach after that we can't really reach. At least I find it exciting and meaningful to find out how far I will come ^^

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Welcome to PerC, @Kataro214 (I sense you like cats. I'm struck by your avatar, quite unique and I see a lot of cat art!)

Hello! Im INFP male, age 23, from Norway.
Is it rude to say I'm envious you live in Norway? I love everything about the Nordic countries, even the downsides residents have informed me of. Anyway, hi from Oregon, US. (;

(also, where did you find that Calico emoji? Must. Have. Now.)

I have several meaningful projects I want to finish but I simply cant find motivation to do so; because there is so much things to do.. I really have that inner passion for them
but it´s frustrating that I feel too overwhelmed and lazy to go though with it.
Wanna trade problems? I seem good at planning, getting stuff done but it can be hard to find projects remotely resembling "meaningful."

-Whatever you do, don't sacrifice the meaning of your projects out of the desire to "complete" them; of course we all want to do that, but its better to take your time with valuable ideas than rush to get them done, only to have them lose meaning. What's the point of that, right?

-How about first making it a point to make a short plan, preferably on paper, and the is important, START with noting the reason(s) this project is important to begin with. This can inspire you to follow through for all the right reasons, and none of the rushed, potentially disastrous "just get it done" reasons.

-Before spending considerable time on bringing your plan to fruition, it may be good to get a few "productive" tasks out of the way first. Its easy to justify working on something fun now, ya know?

-Make a few short bullet points/ mini goals that can get you to the bigger goal. If the plan takes many steps, try to focus on just a few, ideally the first, often simpler tasks.

-You may not like this (even me, the ISTJ, doesn't always) but set a time limit, or at least stick to the limit you grant for each task that leads to your goal. Like, "Learn 25 Italian words in a month" or "spend 20 mins reading your Italian language book a day." (the Italian language thing is totally a random goal, just so ya know.)

-When (not if) you get tired, take a break, revive your soul, and before getting back on track, look back at your note that tells you WHY you want to do this.

Never lose sight of that all important reason; it will support you at the most frustrating points in your project, trust me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hello @Librarian! :chat02: <-- ( : chat02 : without space )

you're right, I love cats! <3 And I spoil the cat with love now that I'm single ^^
And Norway is fantastic in many ways! Me as an INFP should probably appreciate Norway more, as I believe that it's good to be INFP in Norway. We have freedom for creativity and lots of the repetitive tasks INFPs really hates is getting replaced by robots :p

You have good advice on how I should work, thanks! It's interesting to read about this "just get it done" thought as in rushing it so fast that it loses its original potential. I never had problem with this, I just tend to leave my work after a while even though it's carefully worked with all the way til that point! >_> I like what you say about mini goals, I should probably not have the whole thing in my head all the time. Step for step is easier cause it makes me forget how long time it will actually take.

About the trading, I'm not 100% sure how I find meaningful projects. I guess it's meaningful to me to be creative and innovative.
Creating new things or ideas specifically is something I always wanted to do. I also like to train at things I love, like singing.

If you want to know what these projects of mine actually are, I can reveal that the biggest one of them is an idea and concept for a game. I have really strong believes that the game would be a huge success if it came to real life! However I can see that it could not be meaningful for many others to use energy to make an idea like this, as this is lots of work for something that probably wont happen anyway. I'm going to put the full idea illustrated and written down on a private internet home site, and then send it to a guy that was leader of a related game project. (I found him on facebook so hopefully it will work). I've worked on this game for a looong time, I even made 60 different characters! however, it's really impossible to tell my succeed rate. There is no data about that, other than my guess, that's all I have. And I think there might be a decent chance. not a 50% chance, but a 5% maybe. If they make the game; I will turn out to be rich! and if not; I will be overly poor like I always am xD
Money never motivated me anyway, so for me getting the idea down on paper like that is worth alot in itself.

Oh, and my other projects are mostly unfinished songs where I was just not happy enough with my singing part. Not to mention my big messy room that I've never cleaned properly in my whole life :')

I think that to find projects that are meaningful to you, you must reflect over what you get out of it.
And looking bigger at it: What you really want to do in life? Something that can get you closer to your dreams? Something that can help you improve qualities you find valuable within yourself?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
It's true...we tend to be notorious procrastinators. I come up with more stories than I finish. But even if you have a problem like this, you're not disqualified from the game...you're still a contender, so to speak. If you can get past a handicap, you will be able to say, "Hey, I did this while still being...!"

Anyway, what I usually do is take a walk, get some fresh air, and brainstorm.

Reactions: Kataro214

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hello @Librarian! :chat02: <-- ( : chat02 : without space )

you're right, I love cats! <3 And I spoil the cat with love now that I'm single ^^
And Norway is fantastic in many ways! Me as an INFP should probably appreciate Norway more, as I believe that it's good to be INFP in Norway. We have freedom for creativity and lots of the repetitive tasks INFPs really hates is getting replaced by robots :p

You have good advice on how I should work, thanks! It's interesting to read about this "just get it done" thought as in rushing it so fast that it loses its original potential. I never had problem with this, I just tend to leave my work after a while even though it's carefully worked with all the way til that point! >_> I like what you say about mini goals, I should probably not have the whole thing in my head all the time. Step for step is easier cause it makes me forget how long time it will actually take.

About the trading, I'm not 100% sure how I find meaningful projects. I guess it's meaningful to me to be creative and innovative.
Creating new things or ideas specifically is something I always wanted to do. I also like to train at things I love, like singing.

If you want to know what these projects of mine actually are, I can reveal that the biggest one of them is an idea and concept for a game. I have really strong believes that the game would be a huge success if it came to real life! However I can see that it could not be meaningful for many others to use energy to make an idea like this, as this is lots of work for something that probably wont happen anyway. I'm going to put the full idea illustrated and written down on a private internet home site, and then send it to a guy that was leader of a related game project. (I found him on facebook so hopefully it will work). I've worked on this game for a looong time, I even made 60 different characters! however, it's really impossible to tell my succeed rate. There is no data about that, other than my guess, that's all I have. And I think there might be a decent chance. not a 50% chance, but a 5% maybe. If they make the game; I will turn out to be rich! and if not; I will be overly poor like I always am xD
Money never motivated me anyway, so for me getting the idea down on paper like that is worth alot in itself.

Oh, and my other projects are mostly unfinished songs where I was just not happy enough with my singing part. Not to mention my big messy room that I've never cleaned properly in my whole life :')

I think that to find projects that are meaningful to you, you must reflect over what you get out of it.
And looking bigger at it: What you really want to do in life? Something that can get you closer to your dreams? Something that can help you improve qualities you find valuable within yourself?
Thanks for your advice, and cheers to spoiling our cats (mine is spoiled by everyone in the family. And the neighbors. And every friend whose ever been by the house since we adopted her at the shelter, where she was also adored by all, some stopping to bid her happy farewell. Sigh. Its almost sad when your cat is more popular than you are.)

Lol at the robots, and some people think "Scandinavia" (as though all the Nordic countries are the same!) isn't as advanced as other places. (come on, fellow Americans, the internet just wouldn't be the same without those countries. Maybe not always for the better, but still.)

That's so cool you aspire (and have been working on) to making a game, I think that's great. If it gets through (and I hope it does, you've really gone above and beyond with 60 characters, how did you manage that?) I'll play it! Assuming its available in US, but I coincidentally just downloaded an indie game from itch to made in Norway, so I believe its possible to play most games. I would be quite excited to see your ideas come to life in a game, I have a penchant for the "odd/ unique" games, they can be so unexpected in what they "tell" you about the themes, story, characters and so on.

But maybe I just look too deeply in these games for their special meanings/ teachings but I analyze books all the time so can you really blame me? Anyways, let us know how it goes, I could even spread the word about the game on PerC, there are lots of gamers here I'm starting to notice! Or if you prefer I'll just buy the game for myself, whatever works as long as you let me know where to buy it so I get to play. (;

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks @Librarian ! If the they will make the game based on my idea, I'm pretty sure at least one of your friends will buy it : p As some characters in the game are pretty famous! I kinda borrowed characters and made unique move-sets for them. Meaning that my project have even lower success rate, but on the other hand it will also get bigger and more famous if it will actually be made! This is not why I borrowed characters though, I borrowed characters because it was simply genius with my idea lol.

Oh, and send my regards to your cat! :typingneko:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts