Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don't ALREADY know, or I haven't said this yet, I have terrible anxiety. I'm not really much of a negative person, but this REALLY brings me down.

Every time I watch a movie with people dying after I've gotten to know the character, it sticks in my head. Every moment I've seen of the dying person plays sometimes, like it was thumb-tacked to the front of my brain.

After I watch the dying scene in the movie I usually sit there, paralyzed, and the thoughts of the dead person occupy my brain for the rest of the day and the next day or so. It really annoys me because my friends make fun of me for this all the time, and I know this is stupid, but I just don't know what I can do to stop this.

It really makes me depressed to see dead or hurt people, and it affects me deeply. I think deeply whenever I see such a thing as a dead cat on the road, because I have a passion for animals, and it just bothers me so much.

I feel like I'm drawn to sad things and they just sit there in my mind like my brain is saying "HA HA! You dumbo naive kid! I drew you to this and now I'm gonna play it 10000x over in your head! HA HA HA HA!"

I'm lost. :/

·
Registered
960 Posts
Aw man! I could relate to the way you're feeling when I was pregnant and for months after my children were born. Normally I can accept tragedy in movies, harsh endings, etc. I might be shocked at first, and horribly disappointed by the way a story veers. Then, after a period of reflection, I come to accept the story for what it is. That's probably not helpful. But I wanted to say I could relate. --- As far as how to "stop" it, I'd say, initially, avoiding programs that evoke that kind of response is a good idea. Also, medication was effective for me when I experienced severe bouts of anxiety. Do you have any idea what might be causing it?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Smiley, You are NOT alone. The darned empathy, while great for others (that we can easily read or relate to them) sort of sucks for us when it comes to shared sadness or suffering. I've been VERY sensitive to portrayed or real suffering/pain/death - whether on a TV show or the news.Hhaving kids made it even worse. Also, I totally relate to wanting to cry at every dead cat or dog I see on the road (I even feel that way about snakes, frogs, etc).

How do I cope? I avoid watching stuff that I suspect will be upsetting, so the news, violent dramas, death movies (I have become a HUGE fan of comedy!). I also have learned to somewhat FORCE my mind away from replaying the awfulness. I had to develop this to survive my short stint in veterinary practice. It's not 100% effective, but one way I try to help myself. Often, I do it by forcing my mind onto something complex (soap perar plots used to work wonders) or pleasant.

((((hugs))))) I get it - wish I did not, but I do.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I'm not as bad as you but i can't stand horror movies or movies where people die violently or needlessly, and it's kinda mean of your friends to tease you about itl.

I find for me and i tihnk i've said it before the first step is not to be hard onyuorself about your feelings it just kinda doubles it. I don't really know how i keep myself from getting to into state about it, i guess venting your emotions is one thing that i've always had.

Oddly now I find it sadder to see a tree "die" than a person on a movie

I wish i had better advice for you <hugs>

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Hmm. Have you tried doing something to help people? I know some people can feel hopeless and sad when they see problems that they aren't actively working on fixing. It could be that sad images are intensifying feelings that are already there.

If you're going to help people: just be careful that you don't put yourself in a position where the situation can seem hopeless. Like helping terminally ill people would be a no-no.

Reactions: Some Kind of Blue

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I make up alternative stories for those characters. Remember, it's fiction so it could just as easily be an parallel universe in a different reality. :) I'll create a scenario where they get saved and start thinking up all of the possibilities for that character's life and future.

It's real life stuff that sticks with me.... ><

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi Smileygirl...
It sure sounds to me like you are an empath. here's some info...

Empaths are sensitive to TV, videos, movies, news and broadcasts. Violence or emotional dramas depicting shocking scenes of physical or emotional pain inflicted on adults, children or animals can bring them easily to tears. At times, they may feel physically ill or choke back the tears. Some empaths will struggle to comprehend any such cruelty, and will have grave difficulty in expressing themselves in the face of another’s ignorance, closed-mindedness and obvious lack of compassion. They simply cannot justify the suffering they feel and see.

Empaths have a tendency to openly feel what is outside of themselves more so than what is inside of them. This can cause them to ignore their own needs. Sometimes to their own detriment. If they are called upon by someone who is suffering they will give of their time when they don’t really have the time to give.”(About.com)

Would you like to know if you are an empath or have empathic tendencies? Answer the following questions.

ARE YOU AN EMPATH? (Paul Zozem)

Are you extremely sensitive to the emotions and thoughts of others, often confusing the emotions of others with your own?

Are you an emotional sponge, soaking up the emotions of others, absorbing and dissipating the energy and problems of others, even at a distance.

Do you instinctively know when someone is lying or fibbing, almost always keeping your suspicions to yourself?

Do you tend to put others at ease, allowing them to share their inner most feelings? Do you find yourself helping others, even casual strangers, understand the world and themselves better?

Periodically, do you need to take time out, where you can be alone to meditate, recharge and experience your own mind without the interference of others?

Have you known about your unique sensitivity since childhood? Have you strugg led with a burden-of-perceptions that others did not share.

Do you sometimes use food, sex, drugs or solitude as a means of coping with you empathic or telepathic nature?

Do you have to a use masked personality to protect yourself from others, only sharing your true perceptions with those you trust most, or not at all?

Do you have the ability to facilitate the process of rapid growth in those around you?

Are you easily hurt if you are misunderstood?

If you answered YES to most of the questions above, you are probably an empath.

Empaths can suffer and have all sorts of difficulties living their lives. Few people can understand what it’s like to be empathic. Most people have a certain sense of kindness and understanding but give consideration to themselves first which is probably the healthiest way to live.
Empaths do not put themselves first ever and suffer when their own needs conflict with the needs of others.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
After I watch the dying scene in the movie I usually sit there, paralyzed, and the thoughts of the dead person occupy my brain for the rest of the day and the next day or so. It really annoys me because my friends make fun of me for this all the time, and I know this is stupid, but I just don't know what I can do to stop this.
I have to admit that I find this a little amusing :p But honestly, there are times when I feel the same way, though perhaps it takes a little more to trigger it than in your case. I guess it's Fi doing its thing.

I think the most important thing is that this is who you are, and to me, it's actually quite a beautiful thing that you empathise in this way. So firstly, maybe try to embrace it a little?

If it is getting to be overwhelming, my view is that you should tackle it head on. Ignoring things tends to make the problem worse. Maybe have a talk with someone about how you feel that is a little more logically oriented and they might help you to look at the issue from a different perspective and make you feel less bad.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you don't ALREADY know, or I haven't said this yet, I have terrible anxiety. I'm not really much of a negative person, but this REALLY brings me down.

Every time I watch a movie with people dying after I've gotten to know the character, it sticks in my head. Every moment I've seen of the dying person plays sometimes, like it was thumb-tacked to the front of my brain.

It really makes me depressed to see dead or hurt people, and it affects me deeply. I think deeply whenever I see such a thing as a dead cat on the road, because I have a passion for animals, and it just bothers me so much.

I feel like I'm drawn to sad things and they just sit there in my mind like my brain is saying "HA HA! You dumbo naive kid! I drew you to this and now I'm gonna play it 10000x over in your head! HA HA HA HA!"

I don't want to offend but have u experienced something in your life that was truly horrible or emotional, that u think about or that has affected your life, because it sounds like sensetivity to certain emotions you feel and traumatic experiences can be the cause

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't want to offend but have u experienced something in your life that was truly horrible or emotional, that u think about or that has affected your life, because it sounds like sensetivity to certain emotions you feel and traumatic experiences can be the cause
Nope. I mean, my cat died when I was 2, but that wasn't a catastrophe in my mind. I am lucky that I have a good home life.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Smileygirl...
It sure sounds to me like you are an empath. here's some info...

Empaths are sensitive to TV, videos, movies, news and broadcasts. Violence or emotional dramas depicting shocking scenes of physical or emotional pain inflicted on adults, children or animals can bring them easily to tears. At times, they may feel physically ill or choke back the tears. Some empaths will struggle to comprehend any such cruelty, and will have grave difficulty in expressing themselves in the face of another’s ignorance, closed-mindedness and obvious lack of compassion. They simply cannot justify the suffering they feel and see.

Empaths have a tendency to openly feel what is outside of themselves more so than what is inside of them. This can cause them to ignore their own needs. Sometimes to their own detriment. If they are called upon by someone who is suffering they will give of their time when they don’t really have the time to give.”(About.com)

Would you like to know if you are an empath or have empathic tendencies? Answer the following questions.

ARE YOU AN EMPATH? (Paul Zozem)

Are you extremely sensitive to the emotions and thoughts of others, often confusing the emotions of others with your own?

Are you an emotional sponge, soaking up the emotions of others, absorbing and dissipating the energy and problems of others, even at a distance.

Do you instinctively know when someone is lying or fibbing, almost always keeping your suspicions to yourself?

Do you tend to put others at ease, allowing them to share their inner most feelings? Do you find yourself helping others, even casual strangers, understand the world and themselves better?

Periodically, do you need to take time out, where you can be alone to meditate, recharge and experience your own mind without the interference of others?

Have you known about your unique sensitivity since childhood? Have you strugg led with a burden-of-perceptions that others did not share.

Do you sometimes use food, sex, drugs or solitude as a means of coping with you empathic or telepathic nature?

Do you have to a use masked personality to protect yourself from others, only sharing your true perceptions with those you trust most, or not at all?

Do you have the ability to facilitate the process of rapid growth in those around you?

If you answered YES to most of the questions above, you are probably an empath.

Empaths can suffer and have all sorts of difficulties living their lives. Few people can understand what it’s like to be empathic. Most people have a certain sense of kindness and understanding but give consideration to themselves first which is probably the healthiest way to live.
Empaths do not put themselves first ever and suffer when their own needs conflict with the needs of others.
Let's see about this...
Nope, not really.

Nope.

Yes.

Yes, but only people I'm really close to.

I need alone time, but not for that cause.

In a sense.

Nope.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Hmmmm...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Nope. I mean, my cat died when I was 2, but that wasn't a catastrophe in my mind. I am lucky that I have a good home life.
are your experiences frequent? do u see less or more now, how many times do u think this has happened, i was gonna say it would get better over time, But i feel like you have felt like this for quite sometime

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are your experiences frequent? do u see less or more now, how many times do u think this has happened, i was gonna say it would get better over time, But i feel like you have felt like this for quite sometime
Only since I was about 11-ish. They are somewhat better since I have learned to rationalize a bit more, but I still can't stand watching dying peopleon movies. Maybe it's an enneagram 2 thing, but maybe not.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Only since I was about 11-ish. They are somewhat better since I have learned to rationalize a bit more, but I still can't stand watching dying peopleon movies. Maybe it's an enneagram 2 thing, but maybe not.
Hmmmm it looked like a classic case of trauma at first glance.

Do you have a fear of death? or anything you feel strongly about other than just watching them die? does it invoke other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts

I started a thread about that sort of influence on ENFPs before. I'm not effected speically by certain characters dying, but by the overall tone of a movie. If it is engaging enough to draw me in. Sometimes I have to watch another movie to get a depressing or disturbing movie out of my head.
Maybe if something sad is sticking with you have a happier movie or something along those lines ready to watch.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
No, I was just too lazy to type. XD I meant I am afraid of dying before I have done everything I want, but I am more afraid of people close to me dying.
lol, well to keep it short, from what i see it was either trauma or not an irrational fear, but an increased sense of fear when watching things that relate to it, i think the dying you see in movies triggers something in your mind that gives you sensory overload, althou would take a lot more time to figure out what exactly, and even then, its psychology so its basically guess work most of the time, i reckon i could have this totally wrong

1 - 20 of 24 Posts