Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In every test I've done, I'm nearly the middle ground between F and T...

I relate to both ENTP characteristics and ENFP characteristics.

In some websites, I have 45% feeling 55% thinking. But sometimes it's the other way round.

How can I accurately distinguish my type?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Most likely a T if you are more

Impersonal - (not influenced by, showing, or involving personal feelings.)

For example, if you think Trump sucks you will say it without considering if you have friends or family that likes Trump.

Logic and facts ALWAYS come first, no matter if you have sympathy/empathy. For example, you don't first think "My prayers" or something like that when a death occured, you think "How and why" FIRST.

Direct You will tell others exactly what you are thinking without dancing around it for whatever reasons, and that thinking is based on good logic and facts and ...

Objective - not your gut feeling or following someone else... trying to agree with a consensus.

Critical - What you don't like, usually really gets on your nerves that you want to speak out about it. Conflict don't usually bother you as much, because when you need to say it, it NEED to be said.

Thick Skinned - If others are flaming you in thing that you strongly disagree with. You would argue back with good logic, instead of going to cry in a corner or just say things like "I am hurt, why are you dissing me?"

Not the warmest - Granted, you may be warm and have great empathy/sympathy also, but you know that other Feelers are way more warmer and caring of others than you are.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Also, ENTP's dominate function is always seeing possibilities. They always want to know “what could be”. Then followed by being very analytical, very logical and very objective.

ENFP on the other hand while dominate function is same as ENTPs, the secondary function is not being very logical, analytical, object but focusing on personal feelings, tastes, and values.

So, for ENTPs, it matter less what personal feeling, taste and value is if logic says otherwise.

For ENFPs, they are likely to prioritize consensus over intellect, expertise, common sense, and logic.

ENTPs are generally seen as logical but arrogant (and may appear as rude/cold). ENFPs as generally seeing as loving but naive.

ENTPs care deeply about interests. And tend to discard any warmth and sympathy if it's not agreeable with their logic.

ENFP care deeply about certain causes and people, and hold their emotional ideas or moral opinions more highly than external logic.

In mass tragedies, ENTP reaction to it is MORE "Why it happens, how it happens, who is behind it. What can be done about it to stop it from happening again" But ENFP is more share the cause or join in a memorial or vigil.

ENFP is more 'Thinking out loud' and can continuously talk.

While ENTP thinks internally, and will not keep talking without constant pauses.

ENFPs will cut people out of their lives faster than ENTPs. VERY TRUE. I had an ENFP friend unfriended a bunch of friends, including myself, and it's not personal. She now has just only about 10 or so friends.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
"Most likely a T if you are more

Impersonal - (not influenced by, showing, or involving personal feelings.)

For example, if you think Trump sucks you will say it without considering if you have friends or family that likes Trump.

Logic and facts ALWAYS come first, no matter if you have sympathy/empathy. For example, you don't first think "My prayers" or something like that when a death occured, you think "How and why" FIRST.

Direct You will tell others exactly what you are thinking without dancing around it for whatever reasons, and that thinking is based on good logic and facts and ...

Objective - not your gut feeling or following someone else... trying to agree with a consensus.

Critical - What you don't like, usually really gets on your nerves that you want to speak out about it. Conflict don't usually bother you as much, because when you need to say it, it NEED to be said.

Thick Skinned - If others are flaming you in thing that you strongly disagree with. You would argue back with good logic, instead of going to cry in a corner or just say things like "I am hurt, why are you dissing me?"

Not the warmest - Granted, you may be warm and have great empathy/sympathy also, but you know that other Feelers are way more warmer and caring of others than you are."

I'm sorry but it's not true. By this logic I'm an ENTP. And I'm not.
I always ask 'why' first and not 'who'. And I always tell is like it is: that's why it's TE, thinking out, not inwardly.

More telling is how you behave to other people
- you withdraw your thoughts
- or withdraw your feelings?
If you withdraw (hold back) your thoughts then you're Ti and thus ENTP. (granted you're either one of those)
if you withdraw (hold back) your feelings you're Fi thus ENFP.

Also, what is more typical of you? Sitting in a large crowd and thinking
- how can others be so stupid?
or
- how can they be so mean?
The first case is more likely in a ENTP, the second a ENFP.

Reactions: Santa Gloss

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Really, @jetser?

I thought you don't know for sure if you were T or F, is why you posted? If you are so sure you a F and not a T, then why did you even post this thread?

But if you are so disrespectful of me trying to help you, and think you absolutely know MORE than me, hell you are on your own! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
OK, I thought you were the OP. I misread. It was @ChloeLynn

always ask 'why' first and not 'who'
That order didn't matter. So you clearly misunderstood there.

I'm sorry but it's not true
Hold your horses, so which ones aren't true? I already named one that's misunderstood.

These GOOD stereotypes are generally pretty accurate. But generalization aren't always perfectly accurate for everyone, there are certainly some exceptions.

Just because GOOD generalizations that's often true not true for you doesn't make it wrong!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Many of those things you posted are general for all NE-doms. Impersonal and direct and critical can also be true for an ENFP.
The main difference between the two types is that ENFP think in moral structures (what is right, what is wrong), where ENTP think in logical structures (what works better, what makes sense).
NE dom makes the two types already very similar.

Reactions: angelcat

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Do you

Te: organize, make lists, come up with game plans, measure your success by profit or external factors (degrees)?

or

Fe: find yourself merging with others' emotions, flirting or using others' emotions to accomplish something, say things just to shock people or get a reaction out of them, find yourself able to express your feelings clearly when asked?

Fi has trouble talking about their feelings directly -- it comes out garbled. Ti can be that way with inner logical frameworks. Thus, you should look for their extroverted counterparts.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Many of those things you posted are general for all NE-doms. Impersonal and direct and critical can also be true for an ENFP.
Well, to be humble. (Not really ENTP thing, but I just am not sure)

Actually, I researched (Googled) but I really DID NOT find what you were talking about.

Seems like you maybe confused with 'Not a typical ENFP' with the general ENFP, and you think I am wrong cuz as a 'Not typical ENFP' you thinks MOST others are also like you (while that's not actually the case).

But to me sounds like that MOST people with F would inherit F traits, and if you don't then it's probably an exception to the rule...

But, as I said I am not actually sure, so NOT going to act like I know and say you must be wrong. You sound like you are pretty sure you know what you are talking about. Which I can respect fully if you can back it up.

Anyway, I just need to see more data, facts.

Please @jetser, given you the benefit of doubt, you got any links you can provide proving that ENFP are often direct, impersonal, and critical so I can learn?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I didn't say that ENFP's are often direct, critical or impersonal.
I just said that these traits aren't specific enough and are too general to type one person.
You can be an ENFP and appear impersonal - especially to you, since Ne takes a lot of guessing and the good comes with the bad, ENFP's are often in trouble with their feelings - and that can make them impersonal, detached, and not very warm.
The most important thing is, are you thinking in moral structures or rather logical? "I shouldn't be doing that" is something an ENTP hardly ever says, an ENFP does. But both can be very impersonal and detached because of the Ne.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Please @jetser, given you the benefit of doubt, you got any links you can provide proving that ENFP are often direct, impersonal, and critical so I can learn?
Anyway, here's a link: Distinguishing ENFP and ENTP

I think it depicts the differences between ENFP and ENTP beautifully.
Both are capable of the same thing, but ENFP's are usually serious about it, while ENTP's do it for the sake of doing it.
Sudden emotional outburts are common and some passive-aggresive behaviour. They both overendulge in physical pleasure under stress.

A sure way to tell which one of those are you if you want achieve inner harmony or not but it's hard to answer.
Big ideas are common, a lot of things are common. Passion is the difference and moral questions.

The truth is, the two types are so similar in a lot of things that it doesn't really matter which one of those you are. I mean, the Joker from The Dark Knight is an ENFP or an ENTP? Cases can be made for both.

Another great example is Walt Disney. Was he an ENFP or an ENTP? A man full of ideas, enthusiastic. In some places he's ENFP, other places ENTP. Can't be both, but it's still the same.
Let's just say that en ENFP most of the time believes in what he's/she's doing, while an ENTP just do it because it's fun or sees some opportunity to do better.
Like I said, passion is the difference.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Much stronger case for ENTP...

I don't know. The passion and rage he comes at Batman is just very furious. The disappointment when his plan fails at the two boats blow up each other is real. I know it's movie but the movie tells us it's real.
His search for authenticity is real. His plan Gotham to show its real face seems genuine.
It's not the comic book Joker. He's a ENTP. With The Dark Knight's Joker I'm not sure. I think part of his charm may come from the fact that we simply haven't seen much ENFP villains in the past and he's different enough.
I mean the whole movie's based on the idea that one's rational and the other one isn't. Why would come it as a surprise if Joker was an F? Most anarchists were F. That's what the movie depicts him. (again, I'm not talking about the comic book villain, he's certainly ENTP)

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Emotionalism or lack of it does not indicate feeler. Plenty of TP villains display high amounts of emotionalism / emotional responses on screen -- the reason for his emotions and how he deals with them indicates cognition.

Manipulating people's emotions and enjoying "reading" their emotions by pitting them against one another is a very evil Fe method. The scene with the boats refusing to blow one another up is a terrific example of TiFe -- his response is surprise that his self-assurances in anticipating their emotional reactions (Fe) was erroneous, which gives him greater possibilities (Ne) and analyzing of human nature (Ti) to do. His intense theatricality, his enjoyment of people's fear of him, his open mockery of them, his evil gregariousness is all very Fe -- overblown, melodramatic, intent on getting "a rise out of people."

I actually can't think of any ENFP villains offhand, which is a shame. There's quite a few evil ENTP villains out there, though -- like the Joker, like Moriarty from BBC's Sherlock, and the new "Lex Luthor."

I think an ENFP villain would be interesting, probably motivated to control humanity (Te) according to their irrational, subjective, evil ethics (Fi). Alas, most of the EXFP villains are ESFPs. :p

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I didn't say that ENFP's are often direct, critical or impersonal.
I just said that these traits aren't specific enough and are too general to type one person.
You can be an ENFP and appear impersonal - especially to you, since Ne takes a lot of guessing and the good comes with the bad, ENFP's are often in trouble with their feelings - and that can make them impersonal, detached, and not very warm.
The most important thing is, are you thinking in moral structures or rather logical? "I shouldn't be doing that" is something an ENTP hardly ever says, an ENFP does. But both can be very impersonal and detached because of the Ne.
@jetser, I think you just proved me right. You said yourself I didn't say that ENFP's are often direct, critical or impersonal.

It was my point all along. Your definition of ENFP can being direct, critical or impersonal is considered UNUSAL, EXCEPTION to the rule. Since you can NOT prove in anyway such generalization is a really bad one and doesn't apply to most of the type. Of course, I always keep that in mind, I wasn't saying ALL ENFP can't be like that. I don't understand at all why people argue with me about these things as if I don't understand there can be some exceptions, HELL whatever, I REALIZE that and don't see the need to argue it.

But for the most part, Fs are not usually direct, critical, impersonal. Generalizations are there to talk about MOST (or Majority of the type) so I don't understand why there is argument about it ceaselessly?

NO one in this thread said 100% of Fs (Or Ts) has to be like this, or that! If anyone actually thought I meant that, well, you are jumping into conclusion on what I never meant.

I am not some dumbass that read things and think it has to be 100% true for every person. Only close-minded people are like that, and I am very open minded but guess you just don't know me much.

The MOST important thing is, what I am saying WAS NEVER WRONG, just a generalization (AKA Most people of that type) and they are pretty FAIR ones! At least give me some credit, I do enough research whether you choose to believe that or not. Everything I posted did NOT just came from my own opinion, but another good site!

If you want to argue about exceptions, some people (albeit not the most) don't behave that way, look I already understood that, so that's NEVER what I wanted to argue about in the first place.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I actually can't think of any ENFP villains offhand, which is a shame. There's quite a few evil ENTP villains out there, though -- like the Joker, like Moriarty from BBC's Sherlock, and the new "Lex Luthor."

I think an ENFP villain would be interesting, probably motivated to control humanity (Te) according to their irrational, subjective, evil ethics (Fi). Alas, most of the EXFP villains are ESFPs. :p
According to a site, Megamind is an ENFP villain, some other says Loki or Anakin Skywalker is (the whiny one).

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
According to a site, Megamind is an ENFP villain, some other says Loki or Anakin Skywalker is (the whiny one).
Loki -- ENXJ. Anakin - ESFP. Not sure about Megamind.

Please just STOP jump into conclusions.

WHEN did I say that? I didn't. Might want to re-read what I posted and what I didn't post.
I wasn't talking to you.

(That entire post was responding to the Joker argument.)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts