Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you got that reference, you get a virtual cookie.

Well, all credit to you, @Jinsei, this is a really unique quiz.

SCENARIO 1

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

Your significant other just ended your 2 year relationship quite suddenly and with no apparent explanation. Up until this point you had both been talking about marriage and last week you even went to look at rings together. Now he/she won't even return your phone calls or texts. After talking with his/her family you find out that he/she has just been diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer.

- Describe how this scenario would make you feel as well as what sort of influences and motivations lie behind those feelings. Why do you feel the way you do?
I'd be really annoyed that she didn't tell me, since it's something I should know going into this, and I would take a day or two to try and figure out what to do, after which I would probably try to find out why, more concerned with that than with the relationship in question. The imminent prospect of them dying wouldn't really come to mind, after all, if they don't want to spend their life with me while terminally ill, then why would they want me to be around at all while they're dying?

- In this scenario what would you honestly say the primary focus of your feelings would be?
To be honest, I would think first, and for quite a while, of what a moron my SO is for hiding this from me, but eventually have that energy be redirected to understand why exactly.

SCENARIO 2

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

You are in college and this semester both you and your roommate end up in the same class together. You and your roommate get along fairly well and the living situation works but you aren't particularly close. You both typically do your own thing and are rather indifferent to each other. As the semester progresses you excel and become one of the top students in the class whereas your roommate is struggling significantly to grasp the material. The professor assigns a fairly challenging take home test that is a significant portion of your grade. He/she makes it clear that while it is open book, students are to work alone. Later your roommate comes to you begging for help after struggling with the test most of the weekend. You have already completed the assignment and he/she isn't asking to copy your answers, just to help tutor and mentor them as they struggle to complete the test, so there is no way your professor would ever know. However, this is the first time your room-mate has asked you for help this semester. He/she makes it clear that how they do on this test could mean the difference between passing and failing this class.

- How do you respond to your roommate’s request and why?
I would deny him, saying that if he needed help, he should have asked earlier, or even asked the professor for help, as that would have been easier than this last ditch effort. Furthermore, he's obviously been struggling further, and I don't really know him well enough to discount my doubts about why he asked so late.

- What sort of things in this scenario stand out to you as far as having a strong influence on your decision making and why?The suspicion of him asking me, and not the professor in charge or a tutor, and asking so late, especially me considering I'm lazy as all hell, which makes me shocked that I'm this passionate about a school assigned topic to override that, usually it's just anime and video games, and occasionally MBTI, but I digress. It's more the prospect of why that intrigues and confuses me more than the act of asking.

- Describe the flow of your decision making process.

-Huh, someone asked me for help regarding an exam.
-Wait, why me? Wouldn't it be easier to ask a paid source, as it's unlikely I would be able to as much as them.
-Odd... Well, me helping him would kind of bend the rules on this being an alone project... I'm not really sure, but it's better for me to say no.

SCENARIO 3

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your boss calls you into his/her office in order to assign you to a new project. He/she gives you a choice between two.

Project 1 is a rather broad, expansive project covering multiple areas of company operations. It has the potential to have a very significant impact on company operations but it would require a collective effort and an extensive amount of group work where you would be logically thinking through the project together with the group of individuals your boss has also assigned to it.

Project 2 has a much more specific and narrow focus and would require a significant amount of in depth individual analysis to work through the problem. You would be working alone and the completion of the project may or may not have much impact on company operations. However, after complete the process and problem you were working on will be streamlined and fundamentally understood.

- Which project appeals to you the most, as it relates to the way you prefer to logically process information? Why?
Project 2 seems more appealing to me, as group work is not my specialty, even though it avoids me having to do a lot of intensive work because I can piggyback off of others. No, I prefer working alone because it avoids communication troubles with the others, and I can take enough viewpoints on my own without having to rely on brainstorming with others. Although, I do like working with others, as it gives me more discussion fodder, but the communication barrier is too high to climb for some. Of course, this is all assuming I am sufficiently interested not to succumb to laziness, and having a team relying on me means I'm unlikely to feel relaxed enough for that to happen, so... I dunno. :wink:

- What sort of things in this scenario, across either project, stood out to you as having a strong influence on your decision? Why?
Well, it's not really anything across the two scenarios, but the fact that I just can't communicate very well due to a speech impediment, that really prevents me from being able to do the group project with any sense of enthusiasm and fervor.

SCENARIO 4

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your college professor has assigned you to a group project with 3 other individuals. All 3 of these individuals have a good strong work ethic and desire to contribute to the overall success of this project. You are at the first meeting of your group and the other members are tossing around valuable ideas as to the nature and direction of this project.

- Describe your behavior in this situation as you process and think about the ideas they are presenting.
In this kind of situation, I'm the one sitting there quietly, absorbing everything, as I don't personally like contributing ideas of my own, since they're usually horrible. But I will point out why I think they're wrong, even though I'm pretty much disinterested in this sort of thing.

- Describe what major influences drive this behavior.
Laziness and lack of self confidence, for the most part. I don't have much confidence in my own ideas standing up to criticism, but I can see where people are wrong, so I feel obligated to point it out.

SCENARIO 5

FOCUS ON THE SOURCES YOU DRAW NON-PHYSICAL ENERGY FROM HERE

It has been a very long week and you feel mentally and emotionally drained, but good news! It is Saturday and you have nothing significant that needs to be done. You FINALLY have some free time to yourself to recharge your batteries and do whatever you want.

- Describe what sort of activities would help you to recharge. What would you enjoy doing after a long week and why?
Strangely enough, getting up in the middle of the night and going on the computer, it's strangely relaxing being in a place where no one can disturb you. Apart from that, I'm a big fan of video games, which does help cheer me up after a depressing week, as I can let myself be immersed and absorbed into new worlds in a form of escapism.

- What sort of things do you feel you draw non-physical energy from doing?
Adrenaline. Contrary to the previous statement, I LOVE adrenaline inducing activities, I imagine it's like taking drugs, you keep on chasing this high that gets weaker and weaker every time. My personal favorite, although it's not really physical adrenaline, is acting like a lunatic and subtly trolling people, it's like watching an episode of Death Note, if anyone knows what that means. :wink:

SCENARIO 6

FOCUS ON THINKING VS FEELING HERE

You have a meeting with your college career counselor to discuss potential careers that interest you. He/she offers you a list of the following careers and asks you to pick your TOP 3. He/she asks you to take money out of the equation. Imagine all of these careers received equal compensation. Focus instead on where you would truly feel most happy and fulfilled.

Artist, Scientist, Actor, Engineer, Musician, Lawyer, Counselor, Entrepreneur, Teacher, Manager, Psychologist, Computer Programmer / Analyst, Clergy, Child Care, Medical Doctor

- What were your top 3 choices and what aspects of these careers appeal to you?
I think my personal three would be Psychologist, Computer Programmer, and Scientist.

- Was it difficult or easy to pick only 3 and why?
Remarkably easy, as I just focused on what my skills were and what I enjoyed, and went from there.

- Prioritize the aspects of your career choices that influenced your decision, what things mattered most to you, where do you imagine finding the most fulfillment and why?
Well, you'll notice that two of those jobs are heavily dependent on mechanical skills and critical thinking, which I do excel at, if I do say so myself. The psychologist one is something I've been weighing on for some time now, as I do like talking to interesting people, and that's pretty much the psychologist's job in a nutshell. Of course, I can't actually do it, but there's something about meeting people who are so unlike our normal, politically correct society that they're literally kept outside of it that thrills me.

SCENARIO 7

Click on the image below and pay close attention to the things that jump out to you, objects, thoughts, feelings, impressions, ideas etc. What do you see?

- Describe the main things that stand out to you in this picture.
The lighting, OH MY GOD, THE LIGHTING, it's absolutely brilliant, how the light bounces off of the rocks and the river has some parts illuminated but not others, it's fantastic. Another thing that came to mind is the different tree types there, some with leaves, others without.

- Why do you think/feel you focused on those things?
Well, the lighting of the cavern just catches your eye when you first look, and it's quite hard to look away to something else, it's really stunning. The trees, however, I noticed as an inconsistency, before reasoning that different types of trees can exist near one another, it's not impossible.

- Describe the strength with which this photo did or did not appeal to you and why?
Well, as far as I can tell, the picture, on the first few looks, is amazing. However, knowing that, it's unlikely the splendor will last long, as I've found out with other things.

My god that took a while! Long quiz too, so that's something to note. Anyway, to quote a famous movie: "Let the games begin!" *blows up a stadium* :perc2:

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Awesome @Barakiel! Thanks for the compliment on my questionnaire! Yippie Kai Yay... you obviously know the rest. Lets dig in.

Scenario 1-2

These were meant to determine Fe vs Fi however I felt a strong logical T sense influencing both of these responses. There was a feeling of logical detachment from emotions that could indicate primary T and inferior F. ie: wanting to know why in scenario 1, "To be honest, I would think first and for quite a while", The prospect of why your room mate is asking for help, not making logical sense why he is asking so late for help... all of this speaks to subjective logical Ti.

Scenario 3-4

I'm really sorry about your speech impediment, that seems to be much of the influence in scenario 3. "I don't have much confidence in my own ideas standing up to criticism, but I can see where others are wrong, so I feel obligated to point this out"... yep this confirms strong Ti in my opinion.

Scenario 5
Pretty confident you are most likely primay Ti at this point and this confirms that your primary function is probably introverted

Scenario 6
Mechanical skills and critical thinking... definitely a T focus over F

Scenario 7
Straight Se here focus here... no subjectivity to your sensory side and that is pretty much all that comes through in your response to the image. Logical T came through when you were analyzing the different tree types as well.

At this point I am probably going to say your four functions are most likely Ti - Se - Ni - Fe in that order. How does ISTP fit for you?

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome @Barakiel! Thanks for the compliment on my questionnaire! Yippie Kai Yay... you obviously know the rest. Lets dig in.

Scenario 1-2

These were meant to determine Fe vs Fi however I felt a strong logical T sense influencing both of these responses. There was a feeling of logical detachment from emotions that could indicate primary T and inferior F. ie: wanting to know why in scenario 1, "To be honest, I would think first and for quite a while", The prospect of why your room mate is asking for help, not making logical sense why he is asking so late for help... all of this speaks to subjective logical Ti.

Scenario 3-4

I'm really sorry about your speech impediment, that seems to be much of the influence in scenario 3. "I don't have much confidence in my own ideas standing up to criticism, but I can see where others are wrong, so I feel obligated to point this out"... yep this confirms strong Ti in my opinion.

Scenario 5
Pretty confident you are most likely primay Ti at this point and this confirms that your primary function is probably introverted

Scenario 6
Mechanical skills and critical thinking... definitely a T focus over F

Scenario 7
Straight Se here focus here... no subjectivity to your sensory side and that is pretty much all that comes through in your response to the image. Logical T came through when you were analyzing the different tree types as well.

At this point I am probably going to say your four functions are most likely Ti - Se - Ni - Fe in that order. How does ISTP fit for you?
Hey, no worries, it's a pretty awesome quiz, if long. :wink: And yeah, I just watched the first movie yesterday for the first time, pretty darn awesome! :laughing:

You know, it's funny, most people have said ISTP or INTP at this point, but I seem to possess the ability to never give up on multiple perspectives, as I've tried to argue, to my INFJ friend, no less, that I'm all manner of types, ENFJ, ISTJ, and she's all but given up. :kitteh: Though, ISTP does make quite a bit of sense, so thank you nonetheless. :happy:

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Hey, no worries, it's a pretty awesome quiz, if long. :wink: And yeah, I just watched the first movie yesterday for the first time, pretty darn awesome! :laughing:

You know, it's funny, most people have said ISTP or INTP at this point, but I seem to possess the ability to never give up on multiple perspectives, as I've tried to argue, to my INFJ friend, no less, that I'm all manner of types, ENFJ, ISTJ, and she's all but given up. :kitteh: Though, ISTP does make quite a bit of sense, so thank you nonetheless. :happy:
Yeah I'm sorry... as much as you want to be all types... you can't be lol. Doesn't work that way. Everyone can display qualities that are common of many different types but one type always comes out on top. It isn't about the behaviors that relate to a specific type, those are just symptoms of whichever cognitive process you are using... some people can get to the same behavior just via a different cognitive path. It is about the cognitive process that is working behind the scenes to influence you towards that behavior.

Every type has a combo of 2 introverted (subjective) functions and two extroverted (objective) functions of varying strength. This is necessary to maintain balance between an individuals inner world and their outer one. If someone had all the introverted functions... they would have absolutely no means to receive external input on anything. They would litterally be stuck as they are in their own internal world. On the flip side... if someone had all extroverted functions they would be flapping in the wind... being externally influenced and bounced from one thing to the next... with no internal basis for judging or sensing truth. So sorry, MBTI isn't like Divergent where we put people into narrow little boxes in order to control them... and if we break out of those boxes then we can be all things. MBTI and Cognitive Theory is about learning how and why your brain processes things the way it does... how it influences behavior... and how someone can leverage that knowledge to cultivate and strengthen their functions... thus becoming a well rounded and unique individual. If we could be all types... then we would all be the same... and there would no longer be any unique little snowflakes :tongue:

That said... I can see why you might say ENFJ (Fe - Ni - Se - Ti)... same functions... opposite order. However ISTJ (Si - Te - Fi - Ne)... complete opposite functions from ISTP. I think that ability you describe about never giving up on multiple perspectives is your tertiary Ni acting up a bit :laughing: :wink:

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm sorry... as much as you want to be all types... you can't be lol. Doesn't work that way. Everyone can display qualities that are common of many different types but one type always comes out on top. It isn't about the behaviors that relate to a specific type, those are just symptoms of whichever cognitive process you are using... some people can get to the same behavior just via a different cognitive path. It is about the cognitive process that is working behind the scenes to influence you towards that behavior.

Every type has a combo of 2 introverted (subjective) functions and two extroverted (objective) functions of varying strength. This is necessary to maintain balance between an individuals inner world and their outer one. If someone had all the introverted functions... they would have absolutely no means to receive external input on anything. They would litterally be stuck as they are in their own internal world. On the flip side... if someone had all extroverted functions they would be flapping in the wind... being externally influenced and bounced from one thing to the next... with no internal basis for judging or sensing truth. So sorry, MBTI isn't like Divergent where we put people into narrow little boxes in order to control them... and if we break out of those boxes then we can be all things. MBTI and Cognitive Theory is about learning how and why your brain processes things the way it does... how it influences behavior... and how someone can leverage that knowledge to cultivate and strengthen their functions... thus becoming a well rounded and unique individual. If we could be all types... then we would all be the same... and there would no longer be any unique little snowflakes :tongue:

That said... I can see why you might say ENFJ (Fe - Ni - Se - Ti)... same functions... opposite order. However ISTJ (Si - Te - Fi - Ne)... complete opposite functions from ISTP. I think that ability you describe about never giving up on multiple perspectives is your tertiary Ni acting up a bit :laughing: :wink:
Y'know, when you say it that way, it seems really childish and stupid. XD I actually have never seen Divergent, but I get the gist of it, and I see what you're saying, thank you for the in depth explanation. What I am curious about is tertiary Ni, does it really work that way? I saw Ni as being very streamlined and focused, whereas Ne is this bouncing off the walls behaviour. :laughing: Granted, it's probably different than primary Ni, but probably not that different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Barakiel I know right, it's been going for THREE AND A HALF YEARS. STOP ALREADY. ==

Totally agree with what Jinsei said, that's what I've been trying to tell you for so long ahahaha.

I'm pretty sure you're ISTP over INTP though :)

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Barakiel I know right, it's been going for THREE AND A HALF YEARS. STOP ALREADY. ==

Totally agree with what Jinsei said, that's what I've been trying to tell you for so long ahahaha.

I'm pretty sure you're ISTP over INTP though :)
But it's been such a fun three and a half years! :tongue:

Well, technically, it's INFJ, ENFJ, ISTP or ESTP, but sure, we'll go with that. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts