Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad usually pauses and verbally points it out and asks where i learned that stuff. but i dont know if he's istj or intj.

anyway i've been running into a lot of INTJs in bigger groups lately, and i was just curious what are some signs that you have been impressed?

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
What if it's in a professional group setting where you have to keep talking?
I would imagine they'd listen to your opinion. In my experience INTJ's don't have a lot of patience listening to people they think are stupid.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if they repeat a phrase you used, does that say anything? i sorta thought he did this because he had nothing else to say so he fell back on some phrases i used, but thinking now... i dont think INTJs would repeat a phrase if they didnt think it was intellectually respectable right?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've done then either when I'm just nodding along with others so they think I'm paying attention or when I'm thinking about it.

I think it depends on what is being said, if your giving them new information then it quite likely its because their thinking about it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
if they repeat a phrase you used, does that say anything? i sorta thought he did this because he had nothing else to say so he fell back on some phrases i used, but thinking now... i dont think INTJs would repeat a phrase if they didnt think it was intellectually respectable right?
Sometimes I do that to show the person I am listening...usually when I'm not. Sorry. However, this situation can be different. You can usually see it in their eyes. Their eyes will 'light up', and like nyn says, the smile comes out.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha....... can you guys actually explain how your eyes "light up"? I think I've been noticing this, but even after knowing INTJs for a while now, i feel like i don't really quite get it. Like with my INTJ friend and this specific person, i notice they have a brief light up split second in their eye when I say it, so so so brief, and not very well outwardly communicated, and then back to the same facial expression. eyebrows go up slightly, both of them.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Haha....... can you guys actually explain how your eyes "light up"? I think I've been noticing this, but even after knowing INTJs for a while now, i feel like i don't really quite get it. Like with my INTJ friend and this specific person, i notice they have a brief light up split second in their eye when I say it, so so so brief, and not very well outwardly communicated, and then back to the same facial expression. eyebrows go up slightly, both of them.
Our eyes light up like any other person's eyes, but they light up for different reasons than other types' do, I guess. We aren't very expressive so we're not usually going to burst out saying, "That's soooo right!!"...it's not us.

If you are saying something they don't agree with they will say so anyway, ESPECIALLY when it concerns work. When you have impressed an INTJ they are more likely to pay attention to you and what you say.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I do not understand this narcissistical view some people have of INTJ's. My INTJ brother is rather balanced there. He doesn't give me pats on the back every 30 seconds altering it with half-assed comments like "well done, man," but he's fully capable of seeing whether I know a bit more about a subject than him or not. And if it has anything to do with "being better" than him at something he rationalize it with "because you have more experience than me." He doesn't come to me for advice when it comes to relationships and his kid, and that's pretty obvious why. Only when he's drunk can he spew a bunch of feelings and "blah" about his relationship and his kid and so on- on to me, but I mean, it's more in the lines of "getting shit off your chest". It's only when I'm in a bad mood, like having a really bad day, that I can say stupid shit to him like "You're not doing it right. You should be doing this instead," and that's something he don't like. I know this in the back of my mind but I can' thelp myself sometimes when I'm at my worst. I swear, he's more INFP than me sometimes, and I am more INTJ than him - it just depends on our mood and environment.

Ps. He actually called me right now and said "I'm gonna drop by your house at around 5pm, you're gonna have to teach me how to make a website."

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do not understand this narcissistical view some people have of INTJ's.
Neither do I. After all, we're supposed to be open to new ideas, anything to improve our systems. We just don't adopt any ideas without a fair amount of scrutiny. I suppose that's what may come off as narcissistical to someone who expects us to jump on their brand-new, sparkling idea with the same enthusiasm they have for it themselves.

I can relate to your brother very well, I suppose. After all, when I want to learn something (and when do I not?), I'll go ask someone whose expertise in that area I respect. It's only sensible. Being an aloof know-it-all is not.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I do not understand this narcissistical view some people have of INTJ's.
People would think this about INTJ's the same way someone would consider all INFP's to be whiny depressed emo people. It takes a narrowminded person to make that kind of judgement. And sure, some INFP's are like that, but not all. Same with INTJ's.

The reason a narrowminded person might think this is because of the way INTJ's present their opinions. They believe them to 100% true unless given substantial evidence to be proven otherwise. At least this is how many INTJ's are. Most of the time they are correct in what they believe, but if you know an INTJ is wrong about something, good luck getting him to admit it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Most of the time they are correct in what they believe, but if you know an INTJ is wrong about something, good luck getting him to admit it.
I'm inclined to disagree. I'd feel rather stupid if I let vanity interfere with the truth, i.e. if I kept arguing my point even after I knew I was wrong - and being willfully stupid is a no-go.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'm inclined to disagree. I'd feel rather stupid if I let vanity interfere with the truth, i.e. if I kept arguing my point even after I knew I was wrong - and being willfully stupid is a no-go.
then you have to meet some other INTJ's i know :tongue:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts