Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dying to ask another ISFJ about their experiences with kids, toddlers, babies, ect. I've always been pretty shy around kids because I don't really know what to do to amuse them, but I really do love them, and I usually get the same reaction. After I learned about the personality types I began to wonder if it was an ISFJ thing.

I've always been puzzled by the way kids tend to treat me, like they're comfortable around me right away. I'm a nursery worker at my church and I generally just stand there quietly and watch since I'm more of a helper. I've found within the past few years that any time a toddler comes in that's scared and crying, they'll sit there for a moment and then run to me and hold their arms up to be held. The other workers are usually the ones trying to calm them and I'm just standing at the back of the room watching, but they still come to me. Even when I haven't met this particular child before. I also seem to have a really easy time rocking babies to sleep and a lot of moms are usually surprised to see that I could get them to sleep at all.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much, and I definately don't want to get caught up in it considering I'm still not the greatest with kids, but I've just always been curious if we tend to give off a certain vibe that children pick up on. Maybe we're comforting to them?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm also really shy around kids because I don't know what to do to make them feel comfortable and to entertain them. I feel like if I knew what to do around them, I would have a less awkward time interacting with them.

That being said, kids seem to be automatically attracted towards me. My ISTJ sister and I welcome all sorts of little kids (kids of my parents' friends and other family friends) who visit our house, and they immediately come and talk to me and hang out with me and follow me around. It's a little unnerving, because they seem to want to hang around me even if we've never met before.

I think ISFJs (being the "Nurturers" that we are) have some kind of pull or aura that kids seem to like and go towards. Maybe we have some kind of warmth or comforting feeling that kids like...? I'm still trying to figure this out myself, but I can definitely relate to your experiences. :)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
kids love me. they seem to naturally gravitate towards me. but that's probably because they can sense that i like kids.

Reactions: Eluquise

·
Registered
22 Posts
@Eluquise @flight97 Same thing seems to happen to me. In fact, just this weekend, I went to visit my little cousins and they all seem to respect me and want to be my friend even though I tend to be pretty quiet, even around them. One of my little cousins who is very shy herself (I believe she's an INFJ, or maybe she's too young to even tell) hardly ever talks to anyone, but she came up to me and just started telling me about her scary dreams like I'm really close to her. Meanwhile, I haven't seen her in months. It might just be because I'm the oldest cousin though, I'm kind of like a babysitter to the group when the family gets together.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My mom is an ISFJ. You all turn out to be really great moms.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same as all of you, pretty shy and quiet around kids, yet they seem to be okay be with me even though I don't have a clue on what to say or do.

Complete opposite of my parents, my sister is pretty good with kids too (INFJ I think)

·
Registered
10 Posts
i love little kids! they are so adorable :D um anyway when my little cousin was 3 yrs old he used to always come to me. like one time when our family was going somewhere we decided to take him with us because he was bored. when we were halfway to our destination he started crying. i don't know why. then he started yelling out my name and he was holding up his arms up to me. when i held him he started to calm down. then a few minutes later he started falling asleep in my arms. he looked so cute! he could have yelled out my sisters name or my mum's or dad's but he didn't which confused me because they're so much older than me and have more experienced with kids but i also felt awesome at the time because that means he felt comfortable around me :) none of my family members are isfj's btw.

anyway that's not the only time i've had that kind of experience with kids. i don't know why but kids just naturally seem to like me- even when i'm just meeting them for the first time they just seem to feel naturally comfortable around me. which is so cool :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That being said, kids seem to be automatically attracted towards me. My ISTJ sister and I welcome all sorts of little kids (kids of my parents' friends and other family friends) who visit our house, and they immediately come and talk to me and hang out with me and follow me around. It's a little unnerving, because they seem to want to hang around me even if we've never met before.
This reminds me of our dinner we just had this past week. We had two couples over for dinner and their two little kids were following me around, especially their little boy. He was copying everything I said and/or did. He even came and sat right next to me while I was in my sister's room, for no apparent reason. He just sat there giggling at everything I said. He was so adorable. C:

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I've been dying to ask another ISFJ about their experiences with kids, toddlers, babies, ect. I've always been pretty shy around kids because I don't really know what to do to amuse them, but I really do love them, and I usually get the same reaction. After I learned about the personality types I began to wonder if it was an ISFJ thing.

I've always been puzzled by the way kids tend to treat me, like they're comfortable around me right away. I'm a nursery worker at my church and I generally just stand there quietly and watch since I'm more of a helper. I've found within the past few years that any time a toddler comes in that's scared and crying, they'll sit there for a moment and then run to me and hold their arms up to be held. The other workers are usually the ones trying to calm them and I'm just standing at the back of the room watching, but they still come to me. Even when I haven't met this particular child before. I also seem to have a really easy time rocking babies to sleep and a lot of moms are usually surprised to see that I could get them to sleep at all.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much, and I definately don't want to get caught up in it considering I'm still not the greatest with kids, but I've just always been curious if we tend to give off a certain vibe that children pick up on. Maybe we're comforting to them?
I think ISFJs have a few traits that make children love them, like being attentive and receptive to what others are feeling. We are generally nice to strangers and easy going. Also ive noticed with animals that when you ignore them they tend to gravitate towards you. Maybe by not trying to calm them you are actually getting their attention.

·
Registered
270 Posts
While I don't see myself having kids of my own some day, not at the moment at least, children seem to react well to me. This is particularly true for toddlers.
I also find that not being deliberate with the attention, though not as harsh as ignoring, tends to work well on children and even pets.

·
Registered
Me
1,685 Posts
This reminds me of our dinner we just had this past week. We had two couples over for dinner and their two little kids were following me around, especially their little boy. He was copying everything I said and/or did. He even came and sat right next to me while I was in my sister's room, for no apparent reason. He just sat there giggling at everything I said. He was so adorable. C:
This is amazingly similar to how children tend to react to me. My nephew and nephew-in law are both like this around me. As my brother's fiance, (ENFP), I think said. "You will always be cool uncle worried to them".

I dont understand why or how lol. In a way I often secretly get a little resentful of children and I often find them tiring, although I would never express this openly, but I think it's a projection of my fear of responsibility.

Of course I often do the exact opposite and I cant say no to them, so off I go playing in the garden and running about with them, finishing up exhausted. But I suppose it is quite fun and very endearing how they find so much fascinating. But then again what strange creatures we are, we have developed boredom as a defence against the intensely complicated stimulation of our universal realities. A child is a human at their purest and most bare, clean of the prejudices and mental chains of adulthood. Makes me wonder why someone would ever wish for adulthood, but then I remember that the necessities of life come calling and no one can truely avoid it.....how sad and yet it is needed.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
We are receptive and attentive and kids love that. Like everyone else I'm rather quiet around then but they come to me anyway. I notice when I'm at the park with NY toddler I'm the only parent actually playing WITH the kids.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I share the same answer as many other ISFJ's. I am quiet and shy towards children, however, they seem to enjoy me and will come to me. I agree with laney's statement that we are receptive and attentive and kids love that.

Reactions: The Martyr Expert

·
Registered
695 Posts
I actually neither naturally attract nor repel children, just putting that out there.

This is rather interesting since I usually can relate to phenomena related to ISFJs in this forum, but in this case I don't.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Earlier today (while I wasn't at home), we had a family with a little 4-ish-year-old daughter come over to our house. My mom said that the little girl looked at the pictures of my sister and me hanging on the walls, and she said suddenly, out of the blue, that she liked me better than my sister. Just for context, we've basically never talked to her before in our lives, she doesn't know us at all, and the only time she's seen us is in those 2 photos of us on the wall.

She proceeded to explain how she preferred me by looking at certain aspects of me, such as my smile, but some other conversation had sprung up and she stopped talking. When my mom relayed this story to me, I INSTANTLY thought of this thread and went to dig it up to post here.

I think there is something about most ISFJs that attracts little kids to us. I don't know what it is about us, but I've never found a little kid who didn't like me or feel warmth towards me. Maybe it's the fact that we're known as nurturers and caring people, and so we give off a warm, inviting vibe? This is the first time I've seen children react this way simply by looking at a picture. I didn't know it carried through photography as well, I thought it was simply an in-person thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts