Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a close knit family that rely a lot on each other. We call each other with our problems we hangout together when we're close by and theres no such thing as being too involved. How is everyone else wtih their families?

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
I would say I'm fairly close to mine. It was better when I was younger, though. We had many arguments during the end of my high school years that really made things tough. They have told me they don't understand me quite often, and still do, but I don't find that hard to believe, as in my entire family, there are no other Ni's or P's, whereas those are my strong suits....

But I'd say it's pretty good, yeah. I've adapted to survive in their ESTJ/SFJ world.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Very close. I'm somewhat obsessed with my family, but I try not to let it show too much. :crazy:

Reactions: whiterwair

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
with my mom, older sister and grandma on my mom's side yes. With my REAL dad somewhat-he lives in boston now so it's harder,but he still calls and we talk. With my younger brother I try to be but it's hard really hard.

As for anyone else Not at all.I don't really know my uncles or aunts or cousins or anything.
It's always been sort of my imediate family at holidays and stuff we've never had big family get togethers ever.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I try my best to be close to them. But my parents fight often, and in the end I always end up siding with mom. And they don't like me very much. Well, technically I suppose they "love" me, mainly because they have to. I try to be close-knit ...I wish I was.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow I have been thinking of starting the same thread for a couple days but get distracted. Anyways earlier today I was thinking it's a miracle I'm still alive. Being the lucky infp of a esfj mom, estj dad, esxp (probably) and xntj sisters has been extremely hard. I now at least realize why I have had such a hard time with my family. I do not really know my family nor do I feel they really know me. Sure we talk but it's small talk, yuck; I am very good at pretending to be stj. I have been trying real hard lately to be nice and understanding of them but it gets very difficult when I do not get the same in return.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Siblings: ESTJ, ENTJ and ISTJ. We're all close. We had to raise ourselves since my parents needed to work a lot just to get food on the table. Ultra competitive with things that don't matter like video games. Christmas with the X-box and all our significant others just leave the room. However, we are very supportive about the things that matter like jobs, relationships and life stuff.

Dad: INTJ. Mom: ESFP. Hard to get male INTJ to talk. I get along with both but I don't think either of them really understand how I live my life. I think they're just surprised that I somehow ended up with wife, kids and career.

Reactions: starflower

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wow I have been thinking of starting the same thread for a couple days but get distracted. Anyways earlier today I was thinking it's a miracle I'm still alive. Being the lucky infp of a esfj mom, estj dad, esxp (probably) and xntj sisters has been extremely hard. I now at least realize why I have had such a hard time with my family. I do not really know my family nor do I feel they really know me. Sure we talk but it's small talk, yuck; I am very good at pretending to be stj. I have been trying real hard lately to be nice and understanding of them but it gets very difficult when I do not get the same in return.
^Same. Except for the siblings. I only have one - a brother (ESTP).

·
Registered
116 Posts
my family tries quite hard to figure me out... but i don't want them to... might have something to do with being an enneagram type 4w5... and a secretive infp...

Reactions: Darkestblue

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I get along fine with most of my family, but I wouldn't say I'm close to any of them. I'm pretty sure none of them understand me (I'm the only INFP). None of them are into MBTI, so I'm not even sure how much they understand themselves, let alone me. I was always just seen as the "shy one", because I'd hide in my room whenever there was a family get-together at our place.

Nice family, though. Nobody yells at each other, arguments never come even close to getting out of hand, etc. My mom probably has something to do with that. She's the mediator, who keeps everybody calm, cool, and collected.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I wish I got along better with my parents and siblings, but I don't really. I am closest to my ENFP sister, but I almost never see her. She gets along with everybody. My mom has been really nice to me since I left the house, but it's awkward, cuz she never really seemed to like me when I was living at home (except when I was little - like before I turned 8). But I read somewhere on these forums about how INFPs tend to perceive criticism where none was intended, and also take criticism way too personally (not all, but definitely I do), and I'm wondering if most of the problems growing up were because of this...

Anyway, my children and I are very close, but my 13yo son is angry and rebellious which kinda dampens our relationship. I'm told he'll outgrow it in a year or so. I sure hope so. Until then, I just love him. I wish my husband was more part of the family. I don't know if it's his STJness or something else, but he feels more duty to his job than to his family. He grew up in a home with no father, his mother had to work way too much to support his family, and he (being the oldest) was kinda the parent. So, I guess he figures that as long as he provides for his family, I can be the parent...

Sorry for the rant. I feel better, now. :tongue:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I pretty much despise most of my family, especially my immediate family. With their judging self-righteous nature, just never really got along with any of them. Never really did anything wrong, just got shit for being different. And I always got manipulative, crazy bullshit from those people all my life. Had so many emotional issues, low self-esteem issues, eating issues my childhood and teen years... I hope to one day be as far away from them as I possibly can or have someone tell me I've been adopted/switched at birth.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I hate my family and I try to avoid seeing them.

My mom is ok in small doses. But in the long run I just feel like she's sucking all the life out of me. My relationship with my dad has improved since we stopped talking to each other.

However I love my boyfriend's family. I guess his mom is some sort of IXFP and I love her! It's so easy to get along with her and I adore her open-mindedness especially when it comes to raising her children. First time I visited their house my boyfriend's little brother was hiding in his room and the mom just explained that "he's a bit afraid of social situations and he doesn't mean to be rude when he's avoiding them. he'll come out when he feels like it." and of course I understood why the little brother stayed in his room because I was exactly like that when I was still living with my parents. I loved it how accepting the mother was of her son's need to be alone. I was always forced to come out of my room and talk to our guests and I felt like raped everytime I had to do it. I wish my parents would have let me stay in my room the same way my boyfriend's mom let the little brother.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I love my family. But even though we are pretty tight they are closed minded, ignorant, stubborn, hypocritical, judgmental fools at times, many times. They NEVER want to admit their flaws, never. I mean, I still live at home with my mom and my older sister, and it's awful. I'm suffocating here. They drain me empty, with their zombie like lives and pathetic excuses for not doing anything. They fight over anything. And I can't open up to them. I can never show my feelings. They say it's ok. But whenever you do, they either laugh it off or ignore it. They can't handle feelings at all, especially their own ones. We fight a lot (not as much as before because we're fewer at home now, but still a lot).

BUT, I still love them and would do anything for 'em (But I never ever want to share a home with them, ever again). My mom raised me and my siblings all by herself after my dad died in '97. I owe her my life, no matter how much she get to my nerves and piss me off almost every day. She's also (almost) a good friend, whenever we don't fight. :tongue:

·
Registered
337 Posts
My ESTJ husband is very close to his family. I don't know their types and doubt they would be open to taking the tests, but I believe they are nearly all Es, anyway. They all keep in touch very regularly and we spend every Thanksgiving and Christmas with them. In my own family, we're all on good terms but only talk or visit a few times a year. (Actually, I haven't seen or spoken to one of my brothers in years, but consider us to be on good terms.) I just found out my mother is also an INFP - interesting, but not altogether surprising. I think my son may be an INFP as well. We're very much alike and sometimes have trouble having a converstaion because we're both so reticent. My in-laws are really nice people, but the big family gatherings and constant group cooking and talking wears thin for me pretty quickly. They treat me well, but I suspect they all think I'm a bit odd. I sometimes get those, "What on earth are you talking about?!" looks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Both of my parents are dead (both died of cancer), but, when they were alive I was close to both them. I am on good terms with all of my siblings, but, the one I am close to is my brother. I get along fine with my two sisters but I cannot say I am close to them. My brother is an ENFJ; one sister is an ISTJ, the other is an ESFJ. During our school years I hard a real hard time getting along with my ISTJ sister. We were constantly arguing. The situation now is that we do get along as long as we avoid certain subjects.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I love all my family, even though I'm sure many of them don't really understand me. There are a handful of them I am really close to and know me at a deeper level, but I'm still very cautious to let even my family inside my head. I have a really big family and I see my aunts, and uncles, grandmas, cousins, nieces, nephews, second cousins, from both sides pretty often and we all know each other. I've always kinda just been the quiet observer in gatherings cracking inside jokes from time to time and they kinda have come to notice that it's just how I am, not because I don't like them or something or that I'm unhappy (Though I suspect there are a few who still think I'm like that because I'm unhappy or showing some kind of teenage moodiness.) I try to make some understand that I'm only happy when THEY are happy, that's what makes me the most happy, but I guess that's really hard for most types of people to understand. I love being around them and just enjoying their company but my family can get loud and it drains me pretty quick sometimes. Most of my family is ESxJ or ISxx and they don't know about MBTI so they think they're perception of the world is perfect. Which doesn't really bother me because it's just in their nature to think like that and my nature to think how I think.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts