Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heey everyone, I'm an ENFP and I am VERY competitive. I love playing sport and I always put my heart and soul into every second of it. I'll refuse to play with someone if they don't want to keep score. I don't enjoy playing with people if they're bad at sport. Conversely, I LOVE playing people who are better than me and I get enjoyment out of matches whatever the result. Even if I get completely annihilated it can be so much fun because I learn so much from the experience :D

So my question to all you fellow ENFPs is: how competitive are you? I haven't seen any mention of competition in any ENFP profiles or on the "You know youre an ENFP when..." thread soo was wondering whether or not it has anything at all to do with my personality type!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I'm competitive if it's just for fun. The minute there's any pressure, I choke up and any desire to compete dies.

Reactions: cake

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting... I can get nervous under pressure but I still enjoy it and I've got a lot better at dealing with it over the years. Is there a particular function associated with competition?

·
Registered
930 Posts
All my friends who are competitive at sports tend to be Se users, like ESFP's. ESXP's are the stereotypical atheletes =)

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
I'm like that.. For me, it's not about winning or beating someone though- it's about improving yourself. I just feel awkward around people who tie their ego to sports. That's why whilst i can get competitive i would never cheat- why cheat when it ruins the challenge you've set for yourself?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm extremly competitive. I can't stand losing at all.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I am the opposite of competitive, always have been. I will play for fun, but th minute it gets at all serious, count me out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't like competition when it involves putting the team/or yourself down. That's something I really struggled with in high school when I was nervous about whether or not I was going to get into a good college and I felt guilty for caring so much.

At the same time, I really love competing at games, particularly ones that I'm good at or are really fun. I haven't had to lose to anyone else in Scrabble for a really long time and I really love Trivial Pursuit and so I get excited and energized about it, but never at the expense of hurting someone.

I'm slightly more intense about it than people expect me to be.

·
Registered
825 Posts
If it's something I'm passionate about (flute performance, trying to get the solos) or it develops me as a person, I'm really competitive.

If it's something that won't benefit me much (games, silly dares, etc), I don't really care much to be competitive.

When something that should be fun gets more serious than it should be, my brain checks out. It's supposed to be fun! Why so serious? :p

I also don't like people talking crap to get a rise out of a game. Not classy, in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not very competitive, and only engage in competition if it's for fun, frivolous reasons, or if it's for a subject I'm passionate about.

In a serious situation with emphasis on winning for personal gain or academic or sport achievement, I'd rather not compete. Too much pressure, and I dislike putting others down or causing others to feel inferior.

·
Banned
159 Posts
repetitive wording

I'm super competitive. When I look up to a person, my goal is never to be his/her equal, but to be the competition or to beat them. I'm competitive at sports (on the rare occasion where I actually play them, haha), though as an audience member, I cheer for anyone who does something good - "my" team or otherwise. It is in academics that my competitive nature most comes to the fore. I really love getting the higher scores on tests and always seek out the smartest people in the room so I can befriend them and we can be (friendly) rivals.

That said, I'm a constructive competitor. I'm a little sad when I lose, but I just keep on trying. I am a friendly competitor, and I won't trash talk or do other silly things that demonstrate a lack of respect for my competition. I like the thrill of trying my best to win, and trying even harder if I lose. It's not even a superiority rush (well, not completely); it's just fun to give meaning to things that might otherwise bore me.

If my competitor loses to me, I encourage them to do better next time, and in the case of academics, I offer to help them if they need it (like tutoring). I'm always really sad and lonely when someone forfeits or stops trying against me.

P.S. my title was supposed to be my reason for editing, but somehow it ended up as the post's title. >.<

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm fairly competitive, i love playing games against people, but i usually dont keep score, im usually fine with winning or losing, but for me the important part is, i always am trying to better myself in whatever it is im doing

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Fairly competitive. I hate losing. I will keep competing until I beat you or until I am satisfied with the results.

On the other hand, I am somewhat humble and do not like making other people feel embarrassed or bad about themselves. In those cases, I try to make it a fun experience.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm like that.. For me, it's not about winning or beating someone though- it's about improving yourself. I just feel awkward around people who tie their ego to sports. That's why whilst i can get competitive i would never cheat- why cheat when it ruins the challenge you've set for yourself?
This, definitely this. I'm always especially coming back to the idea of triumphing over my own nerves when I compete.

However, it's also about improving the people you're competing against, so that the level of competition improves and everyone comes out stronger. I guess that makes me "cooperatively competitive". Any one else relate to that idea?

Reactions: Ahiko and Tridentus

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I call it aggressive but not competitive. I'm quite the energy player on the field (or ice), but when it comes to winning I really couldn't care less. It's just fun to play as hard as you possibly can and I really don't know how to play on a lesser gear.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm very competitive, but like everyone else said more of a fun and to better myself. I take weightlifting very seriously too and like to be the alpha out of my friends, but I like to keep it fun too. The minute it gets out of line or if theres some serious competition I just get annoyed and angry. However my anger/annoyance leads to motivation to completely own the opposition so that's good for me too :D!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts