Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking yesterday, ENTPs are thought to be the "idea people" with immense amounts of creativity. Although I must admit that I am one of the more creative people I know, I know plenty of people who get great ideas all the time who are NOT ENTP.

So can we really say ENTPs are the best idea people? I don't think it's necessarily that. I think the more truthful saying is that ENTPs are the people who get ideas and then try to do them. The simple act of trying an idea out to see if it works makes us appear to be on another level of creativity over other people, but really where we excel is that we have this inner uncontrollable urge to try the idea out.

·
Banned
613 Posts
I was thinking yesterday, ENTPs are thought to be the "idea people" with immense amounts of creativity. Although I must admit that I am one of the more creative people I know, I know plenty of people who get great ideas all the time who are NOT ENTP.

So can we really say ENTPs are the best idea people? I don't think it's necessarily that. I think the more truthful saying is that ENTPs are the people who get ideas and then try to do them. The simple act of trying an idea out to see if it works makes us appear to be on another level of creativity over other people, but really where we excel is that we have this inner uncontrollable urge to try the idea out.
Yes ENTPs are by far the best idea people. But not every ENTP is Walt Disney or George Bernard Shaw. There are plenty dumbass-retard ENTPs too.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
I think xNTP ire idea folks more so than most types.

But that's why we're so prone to becoming dangerously sidetracked, so much information coming in.

You all probably end up making better use of your ideas because you share them others. I have some ideas I never talk about and then I forget about them e_e

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

Good point. One of the traits I say distinguishes ENTPs from INTPs is ENTPs are more likely to be trying out their ideas in the world while INTPs are trying things in their head. For me to physically try out an idea, I have to believe I can pull it off.

That's really what extroversion means in the context of MBTI. Interacting with the outside world (not necessarily just socially) vs being in your head. Ne is a function that likes to interact with things as well as people, so that's why ENTPs don't always seem socially extroverted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think it's so much that ENTP's are excessively more creative than one type. Rather, it seems like we have a knack for connecting two different ideas in ways that others simply wouldn't consider. The result of this connection comes off as ingenuity, and as ENTP's, we're more than happy to accept when others award us that label.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
What sets us apart isn't necessarily the quality of our ideas, but the quantity, and the way we go on to use them.

I think some of these describe the ENTP creative process pretty well...

Edison quotes
It is this reason I came to the realization I was not ENTP a long time ago. I have too few ideas. My use of Ne is occasional, but if I attempt to force it, it runs and hides.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I tried jumping stilts on today for shits. I decided that it would be a really good way to pick apples, rescue kittens, AND get a great time in a crossfit WOD. Probably all at the same time.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think xNTPs are really great at taking in as much information as possible, and finding ideas that work with them. Like if you overload your brain with Ne, ideas come out from that material. On the other hand, I've noticed that people with Ni seem to have ideas that are created without anything there.

I have a sneaking suspicion that our xNTP Ne is just better at forgetting our sources for inspiration than other types ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I shit out idea's. However they're either too ambitious or just bad. I dig it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ne IS the possibility perception, always asking "How could this be if..." "What options do I have if I do this and...." "This can be used like this also!" or " Well, that documentary the other day about aboriginal tattooing, what if I combine that cool stuff with this programming thing I conjured the other day.."?

I am -sadly - by far the most creative, idea-sprouting person I have ever encountered in my whole life. Seriously.... I have heard it from others so many times now that I even could acknowledge it to myself, even if I had the notion somewhere deep within. When going to Innovation agencies they have also told me , quote: "Most people come here with One idea, and honestly, they are most often not very good. You just came here and casually put forth these four ideas, in a range from small to big, to see what we can offer you. And they are all very good!". My Idearrhea is actually my problem, since it is difficult for the junkie to remain happy with yesterdays fix, when you have new ones darting you automatically every day. I have difficulty applying the Drive needed to make something of all of these ideas.... (Well, ok, I have run my own for 16 years, started MA clubs and lots of other stuff)...

My dream is to have like Edison: A staff of smart people ready to try out my ideas in a quick reject-proceed manner, and take it to market. Friends have told me this as well... Myself, I am getting weary with not getting ANYTHING out of this. I do have some failed attempts at different businesses and also had to kill some darlings. Currently, I have two innovations going, writing a book, exporting to Japan, creating a line of Tees/underwear (just as side thing) and planning for a kids party that will hopefully become a 20 min TV episode... Also looking at iPad authoring... As you can see, I am shattered in my focus. But I do have a lot of respect from the innovative community around here, who seem confident in my ability, and also seem as flustered as me when it comes to not realizing more of my visions.

So.... I am very creative. By any standards. I do not know many more ENTPs. One that I do know is a programmer, App-author, game dev that recently made an album and released it. So the P shatter/diverge thing seems to consistent.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ne IS the possibility perception, always asking "How could this be if..." "What options do I have if I do this and...." "This can be used like this also!" or " Well, that documentary the other day about aboriginal tattooing, what if I combine that cool stuff with this programming thing I conjured the other day.."?

I am -sadly - by far the most creative, idea-sprouting person I have ever encountered in my whole life. Seriously.... I have heard it from others so many times now that I even could acknowledge it to myself, even if I had the notion somewhere deep within. When going to Innovation agencies they have also told me , quote: "Most people come here with One idea, and honestly, they are most often not very good. You just came here and casually put forth these four ideas, in a range from small to big, to see what we can offer you. And they are all very good!". My Idearrhea is actually my problem, since it is difficult for the junkie to remain happy with yesterdays fix, when you have new ones darting you automatically every day. I have difficulty applying the Drive needed to make something of all of these ideas.... (Well, ok, I have run my own for 16 years, started MA clubs and lots of other stuff)...

My dream is to have like Edison: A staff of smart people ready to try out my ideas in a quick reject-proceed manner, and take it to market. Friends have told me this as well... Myself, I am getting weary with not getting ANYTHING out of this. I do have some failed attempts at different businesses and also had to kill some darlings. Currently, I have two innovations going, writing a book, exporting to Japan, creating a line of Tees/underwear (just as side thing) and planning for a kids party that will hopefully become a 20 min TV episode... Also looking at iPad authoring... As you can see, I am shattered in my focus. But I do have a lot of respect from the innovative community around here, who seem confident in my ability, and also seem as flustered as me when it comes to not realizing more of my visions.

So.... I am very creative. By any standards. I do not know many more ENTPs. One that I do know is a programmer, App-author, game dev that recently made an album and released it. So the P shatter/diverge thing seems to consistent.
Same boat, I get more ideas than almost anyone I know. If I were you I'd try stick to one venture at a time, and not move onto the next one until you've automated the previous venture by replacing yourself. Coming to this realization has done wonders for my business at least. I have tons of ideas for other businesses I want to start, but I am sticking to the one which I am the most passionate about (and what will most likely being in the most money).

I know we've talked on here before about not getting too sidetracked with all the new ideas. I have this "problem" that if I come up with this big idea I feel compelled to try it out, because I don't want to look back ten years from now and see someone else having become highly successful with a similar idea as mine and always thinking "that could've been me". Luckily I've learned to accept that it is physically impossible for me to execute every one of my ideas. I have gotten a lot better at remaining focused on my current business. Possibly this is because I know that if I do a good job I can truly change the world for the better, more than any of the other business ideas I have come up with. I cannot think of anything more important right now than to solve our current energy problem.

I think the other reason I have been able to stay as focused as I have is because I really really want to succeed. I do tons of research on business, entrepreneurship and clean energy, and I have so many ideas for where I want to take my business. These are the ideas that I focis on and intend on implementing. Business ideas for other industries I get all the time, and I know I could make a success out of it. But it wouldn't be as important as what I'm building right now.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Really good points @ENTPreneur @BusinessMan.

I lean more toward INTP than ENTP, but I have to agree about having a team of people that can work for you. I am running my business right now with one employee (xSTJ) under me and it helps a ton. I want to get to the point where I have a network of 3-5 SJs working for me and implementing my projects, a good ISTJ accountant, and an ENTx lawyer to work with.

I have tons of ideas too and have whiteboards full of future project ideas, but just executing in one area can have a ton of impact.

Good point BusinessMan about how being focused allows you to impact more people in the end. I believe we talked on here a while ago and you were just getting started in the clean energy field back then. It's awesome and motivating to see an xNTP sticking to one field and having success with it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes ENTPs are by far the best idea people. But not every ENTP is Walt Disney or George Bernard Shaw. There are plenty dumbass-retard ENTPs too.
Hah! I should take a page out of Disney's book. He delegated all of the boring tasks such as drawing and animating the characters and dealing with the specific scripts and plots, also character development. All the while thinking big picture. Instead I trust no one in handling the finer points of my ideas properly, only myself. This of course creates more work for me that never gets done. Ah the cycle of defeatism.

Do ENTP's have issues trusting other people with their ideas?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hah! I should take a page out of Disney's book. He delegated all of the boring tasks such as drawing and animating the characters and dealing with the specific scripts and plots, also character development. All the while thinking big picture. Instead I trust no one in handling the finer points of my ideas properly, only myself. This of course creates more work for me that never gets done. Ah the cycle of defeatism.

Do ENTP's have issues trusting other people with their ideas?
Look at Steve Jobs, the Creative Dictator. He was not always right, but then he was man enough to change his view of a matter when new data or input came. I worked with an ISTJ as assistant for many years, but in then end he quit in part because of that he felt I did not listen to him when he came with his ideas. In truth, I did listen , but if I could not fit it into My Big Picture (understand it) I had to reject it because My Big Picture was sure to succeed. Also, his ideas was almost always stuff my mind had rejected very early on in development. It is difficult to explain everything that that rejection was based on, so I guess he just thought I did not listen. He said he felt in awe of my ideation abilities and vision. I saw us as a good team, but eventually this imbalance made him quit. He said we were too different, exactly that which I saw as strength. Recruiting is difficult, especially in key roles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.