Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hear some stories other than my own. -- But just for the hell of it heres mine---I remember being home "sick" because I didn't like my art teacher-And my mom was a softy-She even let my brother stay home that day too-- Coincidance it happened all on 9/11-- Anyways, I was in trouble for something- I just remember being realllly hyper and being sent to my room-Then I sat there in my room--And so I was just there bored-- So I turned on the TV-And I saw it-- At first I thought it was a Godzilla movie..Thats what made me not change the channel--It looked "reallly cool" .. (I was wayy into the old 80's Godzilla movies) Then I realized it was real..And that sort of "this is important" feeling came to me...I came out of my room to get my brother to show him (He was outside on the trampoline)..I thought I was going to get in trouble for getting out of time out--But to my surprise my mom was just sitting there playing with her hair in front of the TV....Then she got all crazy and yelled at my brother to get inside---The entire day was sorta dark and mysterious--Then after my friends had got back from school- They told me our class had a code red drill all day--and I remember sorta feeling left out--But then I also remember coming to the realization that- our government wasn't an omnipotent power...And that frightened me allot---I also remember later that night watching Bush and Rudy Giuliani ( Bastards ) address the nation, and feeling really safe. I was 9 years old. I think 9/11 made me more cynical at an early age.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I'm going to be completely honest. I never gave a shit about 9/11, and to this day I still don't.

It was simply 1 attack on the United States, which is small scale on a worldly perspective. I'm sure that my views would be slightly obscured if I had a family member die in 9/11, but my overall views would most likely have remained the same.

·
Registered
142 Posts
considering i was 15 when it happened...and living in texas (had just moved there from California after the "dot com" bust) it just reaffirmed my life goal to serve my country by serving in the army then coming home and starting a very successful company not because i was passionate about business but so i could take my wealth and help rebuild the country. things i will never ever forget about that day are... saying out loud while i was putting my socks on for school "why is that plane so low?" then boom...
hearing my ignorant classmates say "white people would never attack america", my jrotc commander walking into the classroom while were were all doing our homework saying "the towers are gone", not knowing if this was the start of a wider war.. and watching people jump off the building live..

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I was six and a half on 9/11. MY sister had just been born eight days previous. I more remember reruns of the footage and people talking about it in the years later. I guess it made me realize that we all tend to think we're safe out here in mighty America, but really, we're not. When I was younger, it made me wonder who would want to do that. Now it makes me wonder why we didn't do more about it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was 15, almost 16, in art class. After the first plane hit the WTC, a crazy art teacher from the next room over came in and said "A plane bounced off the Pentagon!" At this time, the Pentagon had not yet been hit, so he had his story wrong...but ended up being kinda right (and since when does a plane bounce?).

At about that time the bell rang for the next hour. In my next class, the teacher had already cancelled the day's lesson and we just watched TV--saw when the second plane hit (we collectively screamed), and then the initial footage of the Pentagon. And then, of course, the collapses. I think we were too shell shocked after that.

What I remember most about the day, other than being confused, shocked, horrified, and devastated, was the absolute silence in the halls at school between classes. No one talked, everyone was just anxious to get to the next class so we could watch footage. Most teachers didn't and couldn't teach, so they found TVs from anywhere they could, and/or had their kids go to a class that had a TV. I didn't go to lunch but I'm sure the lunch rooms were pretty empty, everyone opted to watch footage instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I was about seven at the time. I just remember being completely confused as to why someone would want to fly a plane into a building. I couldn't understand it. I think the teacher got the TV out and let us watch the news reports of it, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I was slightly confused why people made such a gigantic deal over that.
"OMG, we're not safe! even though we know who did it!"
...What?
Then I realized how easily people fell for sob stories.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was 9. I was actually home sick too (or pretending to be, I don't remember anymore). I wasn't very impacted by the actual events of 9-11, I think. My dad was really upset because he'd been to New York and my mom was just sad in general, but I didn't really understand why the towers were so important.

What did impact me, though, was the time after that. I was a very paranoid little child and for some reason I was convinced that my house was going to get bombed and would stay up late at night worrying about it in bed. There was also a lot of anthrax stuff on the news afterward and I was scared my mom was going to "get anthrax and die" when she had a cold.

·
Banned
102 Posts
wow, made you realize our gov't wasn't omnipotent
I am now seeing the ripple effects that were intended of that event
interesting long term effects
interesting that our youth are (in their maturity) now aware
aware that one is now cynical, more so than without this event occurring
and what is cynical, if not just removal of the blinders
removal of that which hides the truth
seeing truth early on can hurt
because ugly hurts
and generally we try to shield you from ugly
maybe we should expose the ugliness for all to see... ???

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
wow, made you realize our gov't wasn't omnipotent
I am now seeing the ripple effects that were intended of that event
interesting long term effects
interesting that our youth are (in their maturity) now aware
aware that one is now cynical, more so than without this event occurring
and what is cynical, if not just removal of the blinders
removal of that which hides the truth
seeing truth early on can hurt
because ugly hurts
and generally we try to shield you from ugly
maybe we should expose the ugliness for all to see... ???
Oh okay, I guess crushing everyone's dreams is such a good idea.
I guess fatalism did such great work for people.
I might be what you consider "cynical", but it's a realistic form of it.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Your sarcasm needs a bit of work in order to be effective, it's not supposed to be so immediately transparent

Secondly, to contend your point of necessarily crushing "everyone's" dream, versus just the select few who still harbor fanatical dreams thru adulthood like Santa clause and Easter bunny, those dreams better destroyed earlier than later, lest dreams of that nature fester its way into reality, god knows what that would look like

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
It's called color coded for your convenience.

Imagination? Dreams? You would dare crush innovation and individuality, just for some slightly less distorted view of reality?
Besides, it already did.
Called the wheel, smartphones, etc. etc.
Do I have to color code this one for you too?

I'm just disappoint your wishes are already happening, and already taking it's toll, hive mindness is awesome, I mean botnet is more powerful than ever.
But still... Eugh. Desensitization is such an ass. Too bad it isn't my ass.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
I have a little different perspective...I was 18 when it happened, so not a child anymore really...I remember we'd just come back from England (my stepfather had been doing an exchange program there for the summer. Yeah, that's right--the bastard couldn't be bothered to come to my graduation).

I remember in August when we were in England I'd watched something about suicide bombers on the news...some young man had walked into a Sbarros in Israel and blown himself up. So I was, eerily enough, researching suicide bombers at the time of the 9-11 attacks.

Yeah, it changed the course of my college career--I took Middle Eastern Studies and Arabic because I became so interested in issues of terrorism originating from the Middle East. I even moved to Dubai and studied there for 6 months...and came to learn that everything we know about the Middle East is wrong. I saw the Arab Spring before anyone else did, that's for sure.

Didn't care much about the 9-11 event itself, tbh--I'd been traveling around and seen US military bases all over the world. I couldn't help but feel that was something of an imposition, and wasn't surprised a lot of people were angry at my country. I was more interested in the way the US and the global community reacted to the events.

·
Banned
1,001 Posts
I'm the youngest possible age for our generation. I was 7 when it happened, so I really don't remember it at all. Well, it didn't really seem significant to me. I was too worried about which color I got to play as in the Game of Life to care about adult matters.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I was 10 on 9/11 and stood around awkwardly trying to comfort my incoherent mother who basically snapped and told me that the world was ending and we were all going to die (hello, dramatic). It was a little freaky because my dad was stuck in an airport at the time, but I don't really remember very much other than that.

In retrospect, it's quite interesting to read critical analyses of what was really going on at the time and the significance it had because it seems so foreign to how I remember it. I was a woefully uninformed 10 year old.

Reactions: RepairmanMan Man

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I was 8 when 9/11 occurred. I honestly couldn't have cared less when it happened (other than it sucked for the people in the World Trade Center and their families), nor did my parents really care that much - they thought it seemed believable enough that it happened. I didn't have any concept of the implications behind any of it at the time until close to a decade later. My twin and I just went back to playing after asking what happened like nothing ever happened. We were all mildly concerned about how close to home such a thing could be, but we didn't assume the worst would come from this where we lived. At the time, I was more curious about the idea of some criminal being on school premises when we had the code red. Otherwise, it had 100% zero impact on my childhood.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had just turned 12 a few days before 9/11. I was in a language arts class, and the teacher turned on the news, and everyone around me started freaking out. I glanced up at the TV, saw horrible shit happening, and went right back to whatever I was working on, because horrible shit happening in the world wasn't anything new, and the fact that it's the US and not a third world country made no difference to me. My classmates kept poking at me to take more interest in it, and I just didn't get it.

My mom got uncharacteristically hysterical and drove to DC to get my sister...who was no where near the Pentagon. Pretty much all of our field trips were canceled for the rest of middle school.

All the irrational groupthink in the country afterwards really freaked me out, especially since I had recently read 1984. 9/11 made me afraid of this kind of behavior, rather than terrorists. I really don't...get it.

·
Banned
891 Posts
I was 19 when it happened, so it didn't impact my childhood.

I have felt the impact, though, when traveling to the States from Canada (I've done so several times in the past for health reasons- long, long story). The border guards often looked at me like I was attempting illegal immigration because I wasn't employed (but was living with my then fiance, who happened to be in a stable job, I was his common-law spouse). Plus, I had sold my house and had made a small profit on it (I did that so I could get more money to find help, and so I could move in with my now husband). Seriously, some people really like to jump to conclusions without looking at the whole equation.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I hate 9/11. Now peopel are more willing to give up their rights to "feel" safer, not actually be safer. It's amazing how much more we are starting to look like the old Soviet Union and that was who we fought before. Makes no sense. All 9/11 has done is make it easier for the rich and powerful to maintain their hold on their share of the wealth and to try control the world. The war on terrorism like all the other wars is a fucking joke. Use of fear to control the people. Wake up people. Wake the fuck up. War isn't the answer. Love is the answer. Makes me sad that the rich are willing to start wars where 1000s of people die in order to make a buck. How do they sleep at night? On a personal level, I get angry when I think about to that is how it has affected me. Anger. Which is also not the answer.

1 - 20 of 293 Posts