·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys and girls. First new thread on here in a long time. So:

How did you like college/university?
What did you major in?
How did you motivate yourself?

I have extremely mixed feelings about the whole thing. On the one hand, I like learning and being in an environment supposedly devoted to that. However, in the U.S. it's obviously an overpriced scam, full of people who have no business being there. I've become pretty cynical about the whole thing, but I'm an INTP so meh, that happens.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I fucking hate college with passion and I think it's so annoying
I'm only doing it because of my family ( which include many reasons.... being the oldest, how my family worked hard to put me in that position, social status reasons ...etc )

I believe in learning, hell I fucking love learning, I just hate the college system and most of what you have to do there, it's no fun at alllll for me. I think about dropping out every single day... it's sad.

I guess I said everything except my major. I'm undeclared. But definitely majoring in business school which I kinda hate too but I just want a business-school type degree.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
I enjoy college (Currently going to a community college while deciding if I want to go to a Uni. and before that, deciding if I want to major in Computer Science or Psychology) and find that it's better than primary in the fact that people do not senselessly socialize outside of passing periods. There is no 'busy work', weeks and topics fly by quite fast (Which is really putting a damper into the usual 'planned' procrastination).

The only thing I hate about it is the bookstore... It's a place of overpriced evil where no wallet is safe...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh thank God I'm not alone in this. It's easy to think you're the only one who feels that way. Seeing sensors do well because they just memorize and regurgitate like good little office drones instead of thinking for themselves really rubs me the wrong way. It's hilarious to see all the people who think they're so smart and enlightened while at the same time being patriotic, loyal believers in the system. And then when you bring this up people think you're crazy or "negative."

EDIT:

I enjoy college (Currently going to a community college while deciding if I want to go to a Uni.) and find that it's better than primary in the fact that people do not senselessly socialize outside of passing periods. There is no 'busy work', weeks and topics fly by quite fast (Which is really putting a damper into usual 'planned' procrastination).

The only thing I hate about it is the bookstore... a place of overpriced evil where no wallet is safe...
Yeah, I feel that! I really enjoyed community college. Commuter school is so much healthier for INTPs in my opinion, plus you're not going tens of thousands into debt. I just got to uni and elected to live on campus for the first year and am really, really regretting that decision. No car, no TV, no friends nearby. Really was a stupid choice.

If you do go on to uni, I recommend either living at home or off-campus and commuting. It is imperative that you stack your classes together at one time of day so that you're not there wandering around for 8 hours because you registered late. Also, just realize that you're gonna be around a lot of ridiculously entitled 18 year olds. Knock out all of your GenEds before you go so you don't have to do freshmen classes when you're 20 and out of the loop.

I did this the wrong way and want to spare as many of my kind as possible from making the same mistakes.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
When did being an intuitive start implying lack of attention selection and recall memory again? Er, I mean.. fuck the system that let's me go to a great school and get a great degree. I like college; it's a hell of a lot more fun than the crappy minimum-wage summer job I worked in high school, and I get to do math, build circuits, and laze out for most of the day if I want to. It's really wonderful to have this opportunity.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Oh thank God I'm not alone in this. It's easy to think you're the only one who feels that way. Seeing sensors do well because they just memorize and regurgitate like good little office drones instead of thinking for themselves really rubs me the wrong way. It's hilarious to see all the people who think they're so smart and enlightened while at the same time being patriotic, loyal believers in the system. And then when you bring this up people think you're crazy or "negative."

EDIT:

Yeah, I feel that! I really enjoyed community college. Commuter school is so much healthier for INTPs in my opinion, plus you're not going tens of thousands into debt. I just got to uni and elected to live on campus for the first year and am really, really regretting that decision. No car, no TV, no friends nearby. Really was a stupid choice.

If you do go on to uni, I recommend either living at home or off-campus and commuting. It is imperative that you stack your classes together at one time of day so that you're not there wandering around for 8 hours because you registered late. Also, just realize that you're gonna be around a lot of ridiculously entitled 18 year olds. Knock out all of your GenEds before you go so you don't have to do freshmen classes when you're 20 and out of the loop.

I did this the wrong way and want to spare as many of my kind as possible from making the same mistakes.
Eh... :laughing: I was unsure about going to college when I was 18 (My hatred of primary school was strong) so I ended up taking a 2 year hiatus of sorts. I started college last year when I was 20 and recently turned 21. I could probably knock out all the rest core general classes next semester.

As for the common INTP stereotype: Computer Science. I enjoy it, but I have a feeling that computers in general might end up being a hobby as opposed to something I delve into as a career compared to my interest in Psychology. Feels like I'm burning myself out just choosing between the two and since I'm paying for classes, I just do not want to end up paying for a course only to lose interest halfway through seeing as I'm halfway through to getting an associates degree in CIS.

EDIT: I doubt I'd live on campus ever if I decided to go to university. I feel sorry for those who do though, but where I live, there are plenty of apartments / trailers / city transportation via bus / cab. And on top of that, I live 10 minutes away.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Community college is great. The people still suck but the professors don't have thumbs up their asses and have invariably seemed down to earth, easy to get along with, and not intellectually dishonest(at least when it comes to discrediting student questions because of rank and tradition; maybe when it comes to having shoddy thinking tbh).

College(4-year) was my first extensive dip into the field(pool) of mass formality and I hated it. My high school was big but the teachers were still in your face and didn't let you get away with whatever. In college, it's just a cold, sterile environment where words are spoken at you and no semblance of understanding is attempted to be imparted. You have to SHAPE the information, you cannot just foist it out there like a dead fish sitting in the middle of the room. If professors took more care in the preparation of their lectures, I feel the other problems of college, including costs, could be forgiven.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have no trouble education wise. It's social life i'm struggled with.
What did you major in?
Economy/Business. Took it because it's easy and reasonable for the future.
Doodling and daydreaming!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sup guys and girls. First new thread on here in a long time. So:

What did you major in?

I have extremely mixed feelings about the whole thing. On the one hand, I like learning and being in an environment supposedly devoted to that. However, in the U.S. it's obviously an overpriced scam, full of people who have no business being there. I've become pretty cynical about the whole thing, but I'm an INTP so meh, that happens.
College was and is an environment. Not a program. And I liked it and like it to the extent that it offers me specific opportunities for learning that I wouldn't get anywhere else.

I'm a grad student in a program for English Literature.

I have the worst time with motivation. Just for the thesis. Everything else is done. Just... procrastinatin'...

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
When did being an intuitive start implying lack of attention selection and recall memory again? Er, I mean.. fuck the system that let's me go to a great school and get a great degree. I like college; it's a hell of a lot more fun than the crappy minimum-wage summer job I worked in high school, and I get to do math, build circuits, and laze out for most of the day if I want to. It's really wonderful to have this opportunity.
... but none of that was implied. To be against mindless regurgitation is not the same thing as devaluing memory. And of course mindless regurgitation is an assumption and an exaggeration to a point, but then again what else could anyone possibly be given credit for? Why is there never any credit for getting the absolute wrong answer but in the most interesting way? Why is there credit in only an answer (or insofar work could lead to an answer) and never in thinking? That's what pisses me off.

But I agree that there isn't much alternative. A crappy minimum wage job isn't a better prospect that's for sure. And what you described sounds like an enjoyable experience.

·
Banned
4,619 Posts

I liked it. It was difficult and I had doubts every term that I might not make it through the next one. The only regret I had was that I went to a technical university with a low female to male population, so finding girls to hang out with was difficult. Ratio was about 1:6.

What did you major in?

Physics

Motivation wasn't too bad a problem since it was generally interesting and challenging, expect putting up with the constant pressure from demands.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
I'm tired of College and ready to move on with my life. I am majoring in Physics, and what makes it harder is getting professors who speak english as a second language. I respect them for learning a second language, but they are terrible at communicating complex subject matters like Physics and Math with their Thick accents and having to pause between every 3 syllables. Not hating foreigners, just hating them as my professors because it makes class so much harder.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The only thing I hate about it is the bookstore... It's a place of overpriced evil where no wallet is safe...
Why do you not use online rental places?

Personally I don't like college for many of the reasons posted here. It still feels too much like highschool. You just mindlessly check boxes and bubbles. I feel like college has taught me to think no further then the end of a power point slide.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Worst thing I've ever done, was a waste of life. I would've gotten more out of just watching my money burn. And I've gone to two different unis.

There need to be camps made in the desert where we stuff all the professors, at least that way we mitigate the waste of space they are.

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
Well, I hated the fact that I was forced to study something that I absolutely hate instead of something that I'm made for. But I liked it for the first month maybe. It was something new and I thought that I would finally be around smart people. Nope. The vast majority was dumb as a doorknob. And it turned out that I was right (as always) and I ended up hating it even more because of the fact that every goddamn class revolved around literally memorizing everything from a book without ever having to worry about understanding a thing. It's a parrot school full of wannabe intellectuals. And I'm pretty sure that the only thing I got out of it is chronic depression and cynicism.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Uni is pretty fun for me. I've been here for about a year. Maybe because I'm in Australia, in a small, laid-back town, so the profs are relaxed (their jokes are as bad as ever, though), good vibes from classmates and a very accommodating system. The teaching material is pretty interesting and they have good educational standards (but then I can't compare to other Uni, so I dunno).
I'm majoring in Maths, minoring in Physics, so I get to meet all sorts of people from Physics, Engineering, Programming etc. due to shared classes. Physics is great, the profs teach whatever they want, we have a super small class (9 people) for it, so we go at our own pace.
I'm motivated mostly because my friends (mostly physics majors) are enthusiastic about learning, and a bit competitive, so we study together. We all want to be here, so we help each other out and do our best (in a lazy manner). There are plenty of clubs to join, too, like the humanists, the knitting group, anime, D&D, board game, etc. clubs which I'm keen to check out. There's a small, but thriving Christian community here so I fit right in.

·
Registered
INTP
621 Posts
... The only thing I hate about it is the bookstore... It's a place of overpriced evil where no wallet is safe...
Bahaa, I know it hurts to walk past a book store. PS never go to Powell's ,takes up the block and has four stories of booky goodness, in Portland. My wallet wimpers whenever I walk by. If I lived in that city I would be bankrupt. Though I have given thought to spending my vacation in the stacks.

I loved university. One of the best times of my life. Looking back I don't know how I made it through. Worked and went to class so I came out debt free. Didn't sleep for four years. In contrast being paid to work 40 -50 hours a week feels like a vacation.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Like pretty much anything else I've experienced in life, there were pros and cons.

I majored in MIS, had a few professors that I quite liked and learned a lot from, and enjoyed most of my major-related and major-elective courses. Some classes (like accounting) were awful, though, and it was always a struggle to find the motivation to show up and go through the motions. I made some good friends, but mostly my other classmates were idiots. This has always been my opinion of the population at large, though, and wasn't exactly a surprise. Ultimately, I toughed it out and got my degree, paid off what student loan debt I had, and then repeated the whole process again five years later for law school. Having now and forevermore cemented my status as someone who can make money simply by knowing things, I have absolutely zero intention of enrolling in school ever again.

Reactions: xraydav
1 - 20 of 28 Posts