Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father is an INFP(Fi>Ne>Si>Te) and my mother is an ESTJ(Te>Si>Ne>Fi). I am acually an INXJ (wich means my first function is Ni). Where did my Ni came from if not from parent-imitation? What made me predisposed to the appearance of Ni? What builds in one (in general) the predisposition for using Ni as a dominant function?

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
The genetics of MBTI is something that my boyfriend (ENFP) and I have been wondering about as of late, and I wish that there was research done on it. Unfortunately, as MBTI itself is not really based on empirical data, it would be nearly impossible to do that kind of research.

This is one observation, if it helps at all: I believe that it's rare to directly inherit a personality from either one of your parents. My parents are ISTJ (dad) and ENFP (mom). My siblings are ISFJ, ISFP, INFJ (me), ISFP, ENFJ, and INTJ. None of us inherited the exact same personalities of either of my parents. My boyfriend has four siblings, and none of them inherited their parents' INFP or ESFP personality. I only know of one person who has a personality match with one of his parents (and even then, they were ISFJs. That's the second-most common personality and there would have been a decent chance of him inheriting that one in any case). Point being, it's not the least bit surprising that you didn't inherit your mother or father's personality.

Again, no one really has any clue how MBTI links to genetics, so all I can really tell you is the above, based on observations. The only past generation relative I know of (one I could share some genes with) who is an INFJ is my uncle, so maybe that had something to do from it.

My personal belief is that you're born with your MBT and it's static throughout your life. Your environment can only have an effect on how that type is expressed (healthy or unhealthy). Environment -- unless you actually get some sort of awful head injury -- can't really affect your cognition in that way. You were born with Ni, Fe, Ti, and Se, and you're always going to have them. The only thing that you or your environment can change is how you express them and which function you express most often. Unhealthy INFJs (I was very unhealthy from the ages of 15-17) will usually jump to Se as a means of coping or escape, which is why INFJs are known for having substance abuse problems (this may also be due to the fact that sometimes it just really, really sucks to be an INFJ). Healthy INFJs will have achieved some sort of harmony between their top three functions (the ability to make good predictions from Ni, compassion/empathy for others from Fe, and confidence and logical thinking from Ti). Se can be included in this (enjoying simple pleasures, which is a great thing for the often stress-ridden INFJ to do), but if it's going to be healthy, you really have to keep an eye on it.

Well, that's my contribution. I hope that it was somewhat helpful.

Reactions: Klaro26 and ovimiu

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
You don't inherit your type, but you can inherit parts of your parents' personalities. For instance, I have no problem using Fe in social situations, because my parents have taught me to be respectful and kind to others. That is why there are so many different flavours of every personality type. Everyone has had a different upbringing. It might also explain a lot of mistypes, with people assuming they are a certain type while it is all taugh behaviour, as opposed to natural behaviour.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You don't inherit your type, put you can inherit parts of your parents' personalities. For instance, I have no problem using Fe in social situations, because my parents have taught me to be respectful and kind to others. That is why there are so many different flavours of every personality type. Everyone has had a different upbringing. It might also explain a lot of mistypes, with people assuming they are a certain type while it is all taugh behaviour, as opposed to natural behaviour.
Agreed.

My dad is ExTJ, and I'm an ISTP.
I've often mistyped as INTJ because I have no problem at using extraverted thinking because of watching my dad and how he deals with problems.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Remember that temperament type is a *preference* for a certain style of thinking. It's not something you ARE, it's something you DO. The implication being that (like everything) it's a learned activity which is influenced by your biological substrate (i.e. your genetics).

I don't think it's hard to see, for instance, how an INFP father/ESTJ mother pairing might produce an INFJ daughter. As a young girl, your task of ego formation and identity formation is to differentiate yourself *away* from the same sex parent, and towards the opposite sex parent. In my childhood family, for instance, the one daughter is very much like the father, and both sons are very much like their mother. I see this pattern over and over again in normative, healthy, two parent households.

The rest of why you adopted dominant Ni rather than dominant Fi from your father is subject to a lot of theorizing, but let's be honest - FiNe isn't *that* different from NiFe. It's also worth noting that your father's Intuition, being auxiliary, is the function with which he interacts with others, supports others, shows affection, and generally parents his children. As a young child his Ne is the part of him with which you would be most familiar (because children are myopic little beasts and only notice the parts of the world directly relevant to their own experience). You perhaps adopted your father's Auxiliary Intuition and liked it so much you adopted Intuition as your own dominant function.

However, since introversion/extraversion seems to be more strongly biologically based, your dominant function would be introverted in attitude. Thus an INFP father influences and produces a Ni dom for an introverted daughter. If you happened to be extraverted, you might have also been an INFP, like your father.

Do you have any siblings? Are you able to confirm a general pattern of typology in which the boys display types closer to their mother, and girls display types closer to their father?

·
Registered
133 Posts
You don't inherit your type, but you can inherit parts of your parents' personalities. For instance, I have no problem using Fe in social situations, because my parents have taught me to be respectful and kind to others. That is why there are so many different flavours of every personality type. Everyone has had a different upbringing. It might also explain a lot of mistypes, with people assuming they are a certain type while it is all taugh behaviour, as opposed to natural behaviour.
I would suggest that you are not in fact using Fe, but rather "aping" or imitating Fe using some combination of other functions in order to accomplish the same ends that a natural Fe user would use Fe for. NiTe can produce Fe like results if an INTJ sees the value or necessity of doing things according to social norms in order to accomplish a desired end. This is NOT Fe however. Real Fe is much deeper than just "being polite and considerate of others". In fact, I would suggest that if you ever met a real Fe dom you might be thoroughly put off because of what you might interpret as a lack of spine or a moral core, what looks like an unwillingness to think for themselves or stand up for strong personal principle. Fe doms, especially young Fe doms, can very much be "go along with the crowd" types. They shift their opinions and views according to what everyone around them seems to think. And that unwillingness to think for oneself is often antithetical to everything an INTJ holds dear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would suggest that you are not in fact using Fe, but rather "aping" or imitating Fe using some combination of other functions in order to accomplish the same ends that a natural Fe user would use Fe for. NiTe can produce Fe like results if an INTJ sees the value or necessity of doing things according to social norms in order to accomplish a desired end. This is NOT Fe however. Real Fe is much deeper than just "being polite and considerate of others". In fact, I would suggest that if you ever met a real Fe dom you might be thoroughly put off because of what you might interpret as a lack of spine or a moral core, what looks like an unwillingness to think for themselves or stand up for strong personal principle. Fe doms, especially young Fe doms, can very much be "go along with the crowd" types. They shift their opinions and views according to what everyone around them seems to think. And that unwillingness to think for oneself is often antithetical to everything an INTJ holds dear.
You're using Fe dom, emphasizing young ones, to support a claim that another type couldn't exercise any "real Fe" at all.

I think a person can exercise shadow Fe, or more Fe, without going to that extreme, if Fe was a function strongly nurtured.

Sent from Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
You're using Fe dom, emphasizing young ones, to support a claim that another type couldn't exercise any "real Fe" at all.

I think a person can exercise shadow Fe, or more Fe, without going to that extreme, if Fe was a function strongly nurtured.
I'm not saying it's not *possible* - just that that's not what's likely being described there. INTJ's demonstrating Fe are generally much older, more mature, and have more fully developed psyches. And, let's be honest - if an INTJ's old enough to have genuinely developed Fe, then 1) they're not really an INTJ any more, they've grown into being an INFJ, and 2) they're not on forums chatting on the internet, because they're old and internet forums are sort of foreign to them.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
You don't inherit your type, but you can inherit parts of your parents' personalities. For instance, I have no problem using Fe in social situations, because my parents have taught me to be respectful and kind to others.
I can never understand this illogical mindset.

If you could regularly use Ti or Ne or Si or Fe, then there would be no discernible difference between an INTP and an INTJ. You would be a hypothetical INFTJ or an INTJP. One of the few logical ways you could manage it is if each type uses all functions, but each function had it's own purpose, like in Socionics.

If you are an INTJ, then you are confusing Fi and Fe.

Reactions: Klaro26

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I think you could ask a similar question concerning various talents/professions, "Where does one get the predisposition to be an entertainer? Or to work in business?"

And I think it's safe to say, "We don't really know."

On both accounts.

We can speculate. My speculation would be that brains are largely wired the same, but Billy B has a cluster of predispositions that together look like what we might call ENTJ and Sarah S has a cluster of predispositions that together look like what we might call ENFJ.

It does seem to me that peoples' subconscious minds are wired differently, if nothing else - that is, the part of the mind that we can't directly access ("under" or "below" consciousness). I think it's plausible that people could have a cluster of subconscious predispositions that shape their perceptions of the world and shape what they prioritize and why.

I mean, I have a pretty distinct predisposition to get obsessed with things ("addicted" in one sense of the word - not necessarily addiction in the clinical sense though). But I don't know why or where that predisposition comes from. I don't have anything discernible in my past that would have made me that way - it's just been that way for as long as I can remember and my parents have confirmed that I was like that from a young age.

That predisposition, or "tendency," has no doubt shaped many aspects of my life. Whether it has shaped my personality is questionable, but the point is, I'm sure it's done some shaping in ways that I'm not privy to.

Synesthesia comes to mind as a predisposition that could surely affect someone's personality. Perhaps being sensitive to colors in such a distinctive way can trigger raw emotions that would otherwise be left untapped. Perhaps it can alter one's fundamental perspective of the world and how they think. Who knows.

I have hope for neuroscience research. Give it another few hundred years and if by some fluke, we're all still alive then, maybe we'll have more than speculation for these questions.

Reactions: Klaro26

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
You are right in that it is usually only when I see things to be gained from an interaction that I become more friendly.
I know it cannot be real Fe, I just used that as a way of saying "acting friendly and considerate of the others feelings".
I despise people who do not have they own opinions and I will indeed not completely change my view based on the group dynamic. Softening the blow is as far as I'll go.
I've always been the kind of person to be like "you can do whatever you want, as long as you don't bother me with it".

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I can never understand this illogical mindset.

If you could regularly use Ti or Ne or Si or Fe, then there would be no discernible difference between an INTP and an INTJ. You would be a hypothetical INFTJ or an INTJP. One of the few logical ways you could manage it is if each type uses all functions, but each function had it's own purpose, like in Socionics.

If you are an INTJ, then you are confusing Fi and Fe.
You are confusing speculation for logic. It is impossible to know how a person gets their personality type. I was merely speculating as how it might come to be. This is my take on the matter. It could well be wrong.

I don't believe in purpose when it comes to types. I see them as a starting point. That is 'you' when you come back to the core, but I believe that one can overcome all weaknesses that a type has and become something complete.
For instance, INTJs are notorious for being cold. This is not your purpose, this is a weakness. (because it affects you negatively in the end) However, one can overcome this weakness by working on his/her people-skills.

After you've worked out all of the negatives, you will appear to be something more complete and mature.

I am not confusing Fi and Fe. When I said Fe I meant being friendly and considerate of the feelings of others. Those are not Fi qualities. But as has been stated before, this is a sort of 'faux-Fe' that is only used when one sees merrit in the interaction.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
So a person can't develop any shadow function enough to use?
Not regularly. If a shadow function comes out, it's not at all controlled or desired. That's why it's a shadow function - it's disliked. Ti is a waste of time to a Te user, and vice versa. If anyone has a true and accurate understanding of the functions they don't use, they will dislike them, and think they're a waste of time.

An FP or a TJ will use Fi for human relationships and ignore Fe. One of the big problems with MBTI websites is that they imply Fi and Fe are so drastically different, when in reality, they are two opposite approaches to F.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Remember that temperament type is a *preference* for a certain style of thinking. It's not something you ARE, it's something you DO. The implication being that (like everything) it's a learned activity which is influenced by your biological substrate (i.e. your genetics).

I don't think it's hard to see, for instance, how an INFP father/ESTJ mother pairing might produce an INFJ daughter. As a young girl, your task of ego formation and identity formation is to differentiate yourself *away* from the same sex parent, and towards the opposite sex parent. In my childhood family, for instance, the one daughter is very much like the father, and both sons are very much like their mother. I see this pattern over and over again in normative, healthy, two parent households.

The rest of why you adopted dominant Ni rather than dominant Fi from your father is subject to a lot of theorizing, but let's be honest - FiNe isn't *that* different from NiFe. It's also worth noting that your father's Intuition, being auxiliary, is the function with which he interacts with others, supports others, shows affection, and generally parents his children. As a young child his Ne is the part of him with which you would be most familiar (because children are myopic little beasts and only notice the parts of the world directly relevant to their own experience). You perhaps adopted your father's Auxiliary Intuition and liked it so much you adopted Intuition as your own dominant function.

However, since introversion/extraversion seems to be more strongly biologically based, your dominant function would be introverted in attitude. Thus an INFP father influences and produces a Ni dom for an introverted daughter. If you happened to be extraverted, you might have also been an INFP, like your father.

Do you have any siblings? Are you able to confirm a general pattern of typology in which the boys display types closer to their mother, and girls display types closer to their father?
Ok, but I'm a male. My 2 brothers: INxJs, my 4 sisters: INFP, ISFP, ESTP, ESFJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts