Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself here in the UK with grades BBC obtained two years ago, retaking the C trying to get an A (for ABB). In the UK for psychology the minimum grade for top universities tends to be ABB, with the "best of the rest" starting at BBC.

I'm left feeling disappointed with myself, all through school measuring my progress most would have been confident of AAA and a possible place at Oxford/Cambridge or universities close to that standard- but in the last couple of years when i've passed the point where natural smarts would take me through i've found myself lacking..

now i find myself, even with my best efforts, looking at probably BBB, and accepting myself as less than i could have been.. now i wish i'd listened to all those teachers down the years (although i accept that- how could i have known??!).

how did you find the judgement days of school/college worked out for you.. and where are you now? do you have any regrets? are you surprised at how your life has worked out?

(and for all you young rapscallions- PAY ATTENTION at school!= from the last person who would have said that while he was at school.)

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
I'm decently smart, so I was able to do fairly well with a minimum of work. At one point, it finally clicked that that was an idiotic way of doing things, that trying my best is actually way more fulfilling in the long-run. Obvious conclusion, but for some reason, it took a while for that fact to smack me upside the head.

I'm in a pretty good spot in life right now. I do have regrets, but I try (sometimes unsuccessfully) not to dwell on them.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
I don't take school and grades that seriously. I mean I get a B average, but I don't need to get an A. I can stand mindless memorization, and regurgitation of information and I don't consider that "smart" at all. Its boring and rather limiting. I find I do better when I teach myself something and study it on my own time. I applied to one college and got in. Its a large public school so its not a fancy Ivy league, but it is popular and people recognize the name. School is very "bleh" for me. I learn better when there is little structure and more freedom for thought.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I don't aim for A's to have A's. the A's really mean nothing to me. I aim for passing the course so i can move on with this cursed degree, If passing means an A, so be it.

If I like the subject the A will come just cause. I dont waste effort on things I dont like :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just wanted to add(no ENFP pun intended), I have realized I have real issues in my subjects involving silly mistakes especially maths 1 mistake can lead to a 2-3 mark loss and when each grade has a 5 mark difference its annoying. So now I just cba with the stress
accept I am bottle necked with a B in maths. I just hope for A's in Bio and chem. I have realized now at the age of 17 getting A's shouldn't make you feel miserable I so I just get what I need,

I don't need some bureaucratic flawed assessment system to tell me what I'm worth.

ENFP POWER !!!!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
For me, I had a few times of getting bad grades and having to take the class again as well as PAY FOR THE CLASS a second time. That Was enough to keep me focused in my bachelor's program. In the Master's program we have to keep a 3.0 or we get kicked out so I am motivated to do well now just in case there is some class in the future that tries to really kick my ass and is exceptionally hard. Plus I'm passionate about what I am learning and that helps keep me easily engaged and the grades come more naturally, although its a whole hell of a lot of reading and a whole hell of a lot of writing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts