Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
They're all bad for the person who is actually of that type >.<

Otherwise they wouldn't be Enneagrams, they'd just be warm fuzzies that little schoolgirls write each other in their year books :dry:

:tongue:
My reaction reading my MBTI description:

My reaction reading my enneagram description:

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
I didn't really have any response when I discovered my type -- I mean, I took a test, read the descriptions, and it wasn't even really a question, it was a "duh" moment for me.
This. (I filled out a form, got a response and read the descriptions/read info, but same idea.)

I am thinking typical reaction might differ based on type and level of personal growth.

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I read the description for Five, I thought it was really creepy how accurate it was. Then while learning about the other types, I half-jokingly thought of Ones as "the uptight, self-righteous ones" and Fours as "the special snowflakes...gee they sound annoying."

A couple of years later when I learned about tritypes, I immediately knew 1 and 4 were part of mine. Guess I have a sense of humor about my flaws.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
@kaleidoscope yeah, the MBTI type descriptions really baby you. Reading the enneagram for the first time was a lot of, "No way am I that horrible.. wait.. oh, except for that time.. and that one.. :("

Reading the other type descriptions isn't going to sound nearly as cutting, as it doesn't make you confront your own flaws.

All that said, I didn't have quite as hard a time with settling on my tritype, though I was stuck on my heart fix for awhile because I thought that loving to help people meant I was a 2. Eventually I realized I'm a lot more selfish than I liked to think, and far more concerned with my own mental weaknesses. Finally allowing myself to be a 4 meant accepting that I was meant to be melancholic. My interest in disturbed people is just as much a fascination as a desire to help. Pretty bittersweet, but I had already realized these tendencies in myself - just hadn't put a label to it.

The 9 and 7 fix always made perfect sense, though, and it weren't hard to accept. :p Being the generally unoffensive (read: somewhat boring and flighty) person is something I'm very used to.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Enneagram is focused more on flaws/weakness/frailties, than anything else. People build up a lifetime worth of coping and defense mechanism layering over the -actual- inherent weaknesses that are too powerful to deal with.. because we aren't immediately competent enough to confront them.

At some point, after running from the things that we were not equipped to conquer, we discover that we were fighting the wrong demons..

And the ones that we should have been fighting all along were too central to our being, they are.. ourselves, our -real- selves.

I don't think that many are -content- upon realizing their actual core type. If thats the feeling, then they should perhaps peel back more layers and find whats really there.

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,819 Posts
At first I was like

Then I read more and was :shocked: and NOOOOOO!

Curse you reality!

·
Banned
891 Posts
Im I one of the wired ones who was relived and contented? I was stuck on 1, and it just didnt feel right, you know? 6 seems to fit me and explains my behaviors/drives much better than the 1 description did.
No, you are not the only one. I was relieved, but I was definitely not contented. With me, I found that Core 1 motivations/fears fit me better than the Core 6 ones did.

It's interesting, isn't it? I mistyped as 6, and you mistyped as 1. It's like a mistype reversal, lol! (*secretly wonders who the next person is who mistypes as a 6, and realizes they are a 1. And vice-versa).

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
No, you are not the only one. I was relieved, but I was definitely not contented. With me, I found that Core 1 motivations/fears fit me better than the Core 6 ones did.

It's interesting, isn't it? I mistyped as 6, and you mistyped as 1. It's like a mistype reversal, lol! (*secretly wonders who the next person is who mistypes as a 6, and realizes they are a 1. And vice-versa).
I think my "contented-ness" came from the fact that I wasnt wondering anymore. I like to have things decided. :happy:

·
Banned
956 Posts
At first when I got my enneagram results and read about it, it was very familiar and didn't excite me much because it felt like it was obvious. I was more enamored with the 'mystical' INFJ profiles. But after a few months, I got really in to the depths of the whole enneagram, mostly type 4, and have been really confounded about how it untangled so many aspects of me. I liked that it gave me information to formulate an understanding and tools to grow as a 4. I really needed it, I think.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Im I one of the wired ones who was relived and contented? I was stuck on 1, and it just didnt feel right, you know? 6 seems to fit me and explains my behaviors/drives much better than the 1 description did.
Hey, I'd been searching for 12 years. HELL YES I was relieved--everything else just felt wrong. I know exactly what you're talking about; finally I realized I really do fit into the enneagram; I'm not just some typeless freak of nature. I wrote a full post about that awhile back on the thread.

Just like when someone close to you dies, there is no "right" reaction.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I was 13 when I got my first Enneagram book, Wagele's. I immediately identified myself as type Five. I was very withdrawn, outsider different from others, intellectual, sensitive and easily exhausted by socializing or any kinds of demands. I also realized I tend to compartmentalize my relationships. Well, not all of type Five was pleasant but I also had nothing against the thought of being type Five. Type Four, on the other hand, made me think that would be the last type I would like to be. Mainly because it seemed annoying in many ways, highly emotional, attention-seeking, needy, difficult. I saw all the negative things.

Well, many years later when I got back to Enneagram properly, I experienced a "little" shock. I realized I was actually type Four by myself. That people did find me difficult and annoying at times. That I was so much attached to my feelings that it interfered with other aspects of my life. That my need to express myself and be different from others made me feel even more lonely since I defined myself outside of the system all the time while I longed for having friends. That I often felt very unhappy and yet had many good things in my life that I just could not see by myself. That I felt inferior and wanted to be humble but was actually arrogant at times and could feel very superior to the "normal" people. That I was actually very jealous, detested certain people because they seemed like a better version of me and made me feel so, so inferior. No wonder finding out my Four issues has improved especially my social skills and my relationships.

I still have certain shame about this though. I have introduced Enneagram to some relatives and friends of mine but have not told my own type. I just feel ashamed of it and don't want them to read all that :(

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
@Steel Magnolia. Well, first of all, I do not feel obliged to tell. I share if I want to share, thus far I have not. My SO is the only one whom I have told about this, I do not really have truly close relationships with others than him. I am afraid, afraid of being detested and scorned at and rejected the minute people will know what is deep inside me. I experience that with my SO too though. I feel ugly inside and outside, thus the shame.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think the reaction differs amongst each type for example for me as an absolute 4, it was clear that I couldn't be anything but a 4 because as it's mentioned in 4s' describtion we, the fours, spend a lot of time discovering facts about ourselves and we are the most self-aware type among all nine types... So it didn't shocked me when I found out that I was a 4, what shocked me was how true the describtion was and when I went through the result text I couldn't stop my tears falling...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I feel like my reaction isn't like the others in here. My reaction was just sort of:

"Oh that fits....Is that all?"

I don't know but that's the way I felt.

That being said I still haven't found my tri-type so I could be in for some shocks along the way. But I felt that a lot of the material on 4's to me felt lacking, as if they didn't really see the truth of the fear within Fours (or at least myself). The subjects surrounding envy and individuality felt surface level at best (perhaps because I am only reading online versions maybe in depth conversation with the text would be further beneficial). I feel only a few sources really got the fact that the fear of the four is essentially the belief that they are lesser or worse then others and so essentially they create this better surrogate identity of themselves in order to combat the fact that they feel the world short changed them and need to cope in a world where they believe they are highly damaged people.

I also don't think a lot of sources get the concept of Envy well either. Envy isn't just jealousy of what others have but also a deep yearning to align yourself with that quality and create it within yourself because you feel you don't have it. That attraction, merging, idealism quality was left completely abandoned by the way side for the surface interpretations of "well all fours a just jealous people, they are made because you have stuffs." :rollseyes:

So all in all I felt the information was only partially correct. At least in my opinion - so my response was "meh."

41 - 60 of 104 Posts