Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was growing up I basically divided people into "serious" people and people who would "play along" with whatever goofy jokes I was telling at the time. I didn't notice any similar patterns between multiple people, although I did philosophize about how personality/ intelligence develops in people. So when I learned about mbti I had a kind of "woah" moment where I wanted to learn more about the patterns of life that I didn't know about until then

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Before MBTI: There were 2 kinds of people: Normal people and idiots.

I did not put myself in either one of those categories.

Now there are 4 functions of which each is either Introverted or Extroverted.

People are still weird but now I can understand their behaviour better. (And some still are idiots, but it's a small group now, not the maiority like before.)

Normal people also don't exist anymore. They are now "average" people.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also divided people into two sections. For me, the two kinds were the ones I avoided and the ones I didn't with the first group probably making up to 90%.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
before MBTI I made up my own very long personality questionaires. I had many different 'types' I came up with, and worked particularly hard on a fantasy creature based system. I can't remember all the different categories I had for people at this point, but I did think about personality a lot even before coming across official personality theories.

When I first read Please Understand Me I was excited as it seemed to logically tie together some traits that I'd noticed but not connected or thought through quite as well.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Yeah, what I was coming into say has already been said, but it is no less true.

There were two classes of people: acceptable, and defective.

And some of the acceptable were friends.

That's still true -- I don't type other people as a rule. At most I can use some of type theory to sell things to people. It's a backup plan to my usual MO of being charming and empathetic (as far as anyone else can see).

For understanding myself as a "person," pre-MBTI, I had a theory based on experience that was remarkably similar, but it cost me a lot of effort to continually revise the framework, so I just translated my understanding in a virtually one-to-one mapping onto the cognitive function theory, and that's good enough for me.

//////////
ETA That's, of course, to the extent I ever thought about other people. Usually if someone gave me a reason to consider them, it was because their behavior drew attention to itself. Which is, in my view, distracting, outrageous, unsupportable, offensive, and defective. And then rare exceptions, like a nice cashier at the grocery, or some street person who says something funny to no one in particular, or the occasional acceptable contribution related to a task.

Still, in general, if you draw my attention when I'm busy, then as now, it's likely not going to be thrilling, unless you're funny as shit or have something good to say, and aren't an annoying Poindexter about it.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I thought of people as people lol. Good old days, eh? The thought of imposing rigid categories on them would have been laughable, although admittedly I have had my dark moments of seeing people as "idiots" or "defective" and what have you...

Of course there were some labels I used... usually based on how people chose to present themselves or what they aligned themselves with, not something inherent to their character/psychology. Then again, I'm clearly not a type to spend much time desperately trying to systematize people like that.... that I gladly leave for the ITs to do.

·
Banned
199 Posts
I thought guys are all esxps.. And girls are mostly xsfjs.

I always wonder why i have special intuitive abilities like I'm always wondering why people doesn't see stuffs beyond what i can see.

I always tend to avoid intuitive types.. Because they can read me. I usually befriend sensors because they don't have intuition. I can easily take control of them.

I just don't get along with gossipers.. And...... Whatever.. I don't really care about people those time.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Oh.. I actually know extroverts, introverts.. I tag myself as introvert because i hate people.. I thought everyone who hate people are introverts..

But i feel like I'm not really that introvert. I'm not just that social.

Then i discovered ambiverts.. It seems perfectly describes me.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
As a kid I saw the world as "popular people" and ... "me"... basically as the two categories. I like to think I've learned a lot since then.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I thought almost everyone else was strange and unpredictable. Now they are, at least, more predictable.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I terms of intelligence and character.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I actually remembered that I thought for a long time that personalities reflect the seasons... autumn people have the sort of lingering warmth yet they can be surprisingly cold without you knowing it, spring people on the other hand are seemingly cold and unattainable yet have this inner transformative warmth to them... summer people are just fundamentally warm folks you want to spend the rest of your life with and midwinter people are cold to the core but have surprising light and clarity of mind to them... but that was just one way to estimate it (communication and temperament related...) I also applied it into relationships in the sense that it makes people kind of interconnected yet also explains why some people repel and attract one another lol. It was a nice little theory, I wonder why I discarded it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Kind of the same as I do now. I had and still have a tough time categorizing people. I guess they sort of go into the 'friend', 'person I dont like', or 'stranger' group but really, even people within personality types can be so different that I generally don't try to type them unless we're very close because I only know four or five people outside of my family well enough to figure out their types. Sometimes I'll meet someone and think "wow, that's a textbook INTP right there" or smth but yeay

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I was frustrated with and at some point mildly traumatized by clashes with people's Feeling function. I thought they were just overcome with emotions during these clashes and were more like me the rest of the time. The things they valued seemed totally random.

Being repeatedly falsely accused of meanness eventually made me bitter. I also became a bit anxious because it seemed that I could not predict who would act this way and that socializing with people therefore required too much of a risk of emotional pain and being drained to bother with, and I became more circumspect about the sort of person I engaged.

Aside from that, I didn't pay much attention to and was largely oblivious to how other people's personalities differed from mine.

·
Registered
ENTP 8w7 sx/so
965 Posts
I like all sorts of people, however in terms of talking with people, I thought of people as emotional or logical. Learning about MBTI has helped me understand myself better, and also communication better.

·
Registered
ENTJ 8w9
1,686 Posts
Before MBTI and the Enneagram, I didn't really consider differences in personality or intelligence. I expected all people to be, think and feel like me. Until I met an ESFJ. She was very intelligent, but at the same time she didn't understand what I was saying, she didn't see things from my angle. So if we're both intelligent people, why wouldn't we understand each other? While trying to understand this I came upon theories such as MBTI or the Enneagram which did explain these differences to me. It is due to different psychologies. Also, I started learning about and using psychology in general, not just MBTI and the Enneagram, to understand people and it worked. If I look more compassionate now than I did before, it's because I understand people based on psychology. It's not that I'm naturally empathetic, it's that I understand based on applied theory. It serves as a replacement for empathy.

·
Registered
614 Posts
A long time ago are used to think that people who didn’t get stuff done in their lives were just dumb or lacking ambition. Now I understand that there’s more to life than getting stuff done.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Erik Erikson

a psychoanalytic theory of psychosocial development comprising eight stages from infancy to adulthood. During each stage, the person experiences a psychosocial crisis which could have a positive or negative outcome for personality development

1 - 19 of 19 Posts