Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I've been making a little personal study out of how different types experience and respond to embarrassment. I'd love to hear the observations of others on this topic. I've noticed, for example, that ENFJ's (and some ENFP's) in some strange way seek embarrassment? I know several ENFJ's that love being discovered doing something embarrassing. Their whole face will light up and blush and they just eat it up. Perhaps this is some way they experience humor differently. I've known several ENFJ's to go out of their way to share "really embarrassing" sexual experiences. They're absolutely hilarious, of course, but it puzzles me how they delight in this.

INTP's, on the other hand, I can't see ever doing this. On the few occasions I've witnessed an INTP experience true embarrassment, I feel like they totally shut down. To them, it's crippling.

Have you all found this to be the case? Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm very modest and an introvert, I tend to get a little shy and blush and just be quiet if it is around strangers or people I don't know well. If it's around family, I just laugh or wave it off. It really just depends on what my mood at the time is and what the embarrassing moment is. im not one to be the center of attention, good or bad, but I can handle it just fine if I have to, haha if that makes any sense. I'm an INFJ.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Hmmmm,

I'd have to think of an example...

Man, I may have to return. I either don't get embarrassed, or have amazing powers of denial that I did something stupid.

Ok I'll return with something, cuz I definitely know I blush, BAD every once in a while but thinking about it, I'm pretty good at brushing it off.

Was late for my first class, didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but I played out in my head what I'd say on the very off chance the teacher said something.

He said something in a class of 40 people. Stopped the lecture, "I hope you have a good reason to be late!" bit of a hard ass, so I said what I had planned in the car ride.

"I had to pull over to rescue a group of orphans from a burning car." haha, I shit you not, it was one of my greatest moments.

I kind of stole one of my ESTP buddy's lines when he tripped over a tiny little rock on a trail and busted his ass. He yelled, "Man Down!!" ha, smooth.

Generally though, I turn beet red.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I just get all red faced and generally cover it or turn away. Most likely put my head down or something, if not leave the room for a bit. If it bothered me, I'd get frustrated, and if it did more than just ruffle a few feathers, then I might shed some tears in order to keep relative calm.

Safe to say, if I didn't shake it off, then yeah, I'm shut down for the next few hours. If I see who ever embarrassed me that badly or what ever made me that way, I'd likely shut down again for about another 30 minutes to an hour...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Usually I just go with it, I'm pretty decent at recovering from embarrassing situations as long as I'm in a flexible environment.
If I'm in a stifled, formal environment, it's more difficult. I remember trying to leave after I had finished my ACTs several years ago and had some guy laugh when the supervisor called me back because she wasn't done talking (I hadn't realized it was me she was talking to) I knew who this guy was, knew he worked at checkout at my local grocery store and planned to checkout in that line and humiliate him in front of his co-workers next time I was there. I changed my mind because I realized that I was being childish and petty towards someone for doing something that I easily might have done in his place.
Point is, how I deal with negative situations depends on how much power I feel I have.

·
Registered
680 Posts
It's pretty hard to embarrass me. Most of the things that I would find extremely embarrassing are things that are completely avoidable, so it's not something I have to worry about very often.

When I do get embarrassed, I just play it off as no big deal. A lot of things I'll laugh off or joke about. If I can't do that then I just brush off anything people say about it like, "Yeah, that happened," and try to move on as quickly as possible.

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
Well if someone likes being embarrassed then that's not embarrassment for them XD
I often embarrass myself for attention :p
But it's not embarrassing.I avoid things that actually embarrass me.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
My INFP sibling self-deprecates as well. He often runs the scenario over and over and freaks out about it days on end.

I don't get embarrassed. I might play it for the lulz (sometimes the lulz need to be had, but I am rarely if ever, legitimately embarrassed).

Reactions: Ik3

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm not easily embarrassed. Unfortunately, I have rosacea (extreme reddening of the face) that makes me seem as if I am. Being in an incredibly hot environment or long bits of laughter can enact it. A lot of times I will laugh at myself when I do something funny and people will think I'm embarrassed because I'm 'blushing.'

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't usually point out honest mistakes in others, and expect the same from people in return.

As far as taking it upon myself to be embarrassed about something? Nope.

And should someone point out my "embarrassing" action, I'll take it as best I can, with a hint of aggression, so as to perhaps give that person back a bit of what they're giving.

Reactions: Michelle0416

·
Registered
252 Posts
If I can escape when embarrassed, I'll usually try to walk very fast to the door in hopes that nobody will have noticed I left. But for the most part, it doesn't really get to me. I usually laugh it off when people try to bring it up with me.

Reactions: Royolis

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
in some strange way seek embarrassment
Perhaps some form of "social masochism."

share "really embarrassing" sexual experiences
My guess is that it acts as some form of emotional catharsis. And it doesn't have to be sexual. When a person lays their secrets bare, they feel unburdened, especially when others chime in with their own "Tales from the Punch Bowl" (kudos if you get that).

Anyway, this topic reminds me of an Oingo Boingo song.
:crazy:

Reactions: Michelle0416

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I look down and blush and/or giggle nervously. I'm not really embarrassed by the same things other people are, though. There's this one guy I know that always mocks me for being short and purportedly "looking like a 7th grader" or some shit and that's supposed to be embarrassing, but it's really just annoying.

Anyway, I guess that's how ENTPs flirt -- making fun of you. (That's what he is, I'm pretty sure.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I'm embarrassed I just laugh, try to come up with something witty to say and while doing that I look like an awkward idiot and then I laugh more because I can't come up with anything. I do enjoy it for some reason though?
But my comfort zone expands really far or I'm just really comfortable being out of my comfort zone (?) so I rarely get embarrassed for real.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, I'm all about the self-deprecation, always saying stuff like, "idiot, why did you do that?"
Also, I'll most likely relive it tor a few weeks and cringe whenever I remember it later on. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Depends on the gravity of the circumstance. Usually, I brush it off and then smile with that Ne-reckless abandon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts