Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One question that I've been wondering for a while is how do you guys do work? I live with a bunch of INTJ's and they are very organised, very diligent, plan far ahead and work hard. Whereas I tend to rush things in a pretty intense frenzy at the last minute doing little to no work before it (in terms of school assignments.) So how do you guys work, what's your style? What I currently imagine is just on and off, somehow get it done random improvisation, but I have a feeling you ENFP's might actually be more organised than that!

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Currently? Badly. I had complaints in my previous job that I got too distracted easily. If there's no passion in what I'm doing then I drag my feet, wait for the moment where I have to work or I'm suddenly struck by inspiration.

I have an office job. I go in, turn on my computer, check my messages and open up my work. I'll mess around with my work for about half an hour then get so bored out of my mind that I need to find something online to keep me stimulated which normally distracts me at least 50% of the time. As it nears the end of the day I'll suddenly hit a productive curve because I know that the end is in sight and sometimes I'll even stay in late until I feel satisfied with my work.

I probably work the most productively when I have a constant yet mindless conversation with someone online at the same time (so long as said person doesn't start linking me things to veer me off course) or I'm listening to something... I found musical soundtracks are good because it's a story but doesn't require your attention as much as an audio book does (tried them, I couldn't focus on both). Ideally I'd find the right music that is new and unheard of before that I can play for an entire 8 hour day.

I wish I wasn't like this. I'm both a perfectionist and a procrastinator which is the worst combination because the people above me don't have patience for me. Maybe I'll one day find the trick to productivity or I'll find a job that I love so much I always work on it.

With school it wasn't so much of an issue because they would only ever see the outcome and not the process of my work so the teachers wouldn't know if I did it all last minute or not. In an office you have people constantly looking over your shoulder... And since I'm an artist any idiot can instantly see the visual progress from this morning.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Self-discipline.

I forced myself to come up with schedules and work when I need to (my job gives me a lot of down time, but involves serious focus for about 7 days a month).

If I'm working on a big project, I break it down into smaller chunks so that I can see progress to keep me motivated.

5,146 Posts
One question that I've been wondering for a while is how do you guys do work? I live with a bunch of INTJ's and they are very organised, very diligent, plan far ahead and work hard. Whereas I tend to rush things in a pretty intense frenzy at the last minute doing little to no work before it (in terms of school assignments.) So how do you guys work, what's your style? What I currently imagine is just on and off, somehow get it done random improvisation, but I have a feeling you ENFP's might actually be more organised than that!
Actually doing work comes from privilege. From not being subjected to psychological liquidation and not having damaged attention and memory (having functional Te and Si).
It's all just a scam.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I'm just going to reference to school work.

I procrastinate for sure. My brain works better when I'm feeling pressured, and I just generally feel confident (occasionally playing with the borders of over-confidence) in my ability to do any level of academic work- I feel more engaged when I leave myself less time and make it a challenge. I'm kind of pissed at the education system- I think I would be wired differently if I was advanced maybe 2-3 grades so that I felt pressured and inferior to the material, which is when my BEST work comes out, but I just had 15 years of watching most people struggle while I got things in the first 2 minutes, and the rest of the 40 minute lesson bored out of my mind, or I would simply not listen for 2 years because I could revise 2 years of material the night before the exam and get an A. When you have that behaviour reinforced for that huge a part of your developmental period, it's bound to impact your habits and psychology as you get older, and you find it biting you in the ass increasingly as you get older. I still get away with a LOT even at postgrad level, but academically I have definitely underachieved, and probably will do so over the course of my career, even if I'm still at a good level.

It's like, taboo, to talk about this stuff so straightforwardly, but thats just the truth.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
How do I do homework/projects for school? That's a great question. What I almost always do is break it into chunks, especially if it's a longer project, because I can't keep chugging along without losing steam, unless I'm really interested in what I'm reading or writing. I actually had a conversation with my mom, an ESTJ with laser focus, about this. She was utterly baffled as to how I can multitask so much.

And like other people have mentioned, I am bad with procrastinating. What it comes down to is I try to routinize things, like "this is the time of day you do homework." Most of the time I just do it out of habit without really thinking about it. It also helps that now I'm a junior (my third year) of college, so all of my classes are relevant to my major and interests.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Self-discipline.

I forced myself to come up with schedules and work when I need to (my job gives me a lot of down time, but involves serious focus for about 7 days a month).

If I'm working on a big project, I break it down into smaller chunks so that I can see progress to keep me motivated.
This when I should be studying and doing something I don't like to do.
When I like when I do (I did an art school before) I just start to do it and continue till it ends. If I'm not able to finish it in one day probably i will never end it. 'Cause I will see it with a different eye

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
The kind of job/work is hugely important here. There are 2 things that motivate me (I'm afraid I get to them towards the end, I'm taking a thought detour). And I am an extremely productive employee, I need to add. I get more done than anyone else. I am often replaced by 2 people if I leave a job. I build programs for people. I can turn something that took others 90 minutes into a 60 minute thing. I can teach my employees (I don't have any employees right now lol) some of these skills by developing the right training for them and boiling things down to their heart and cutting out bull-shit. This being said, it's extremely important for me to be appreciated by managers for the amount of work I am capable of, but that is not the most important thing. The number 1 most important thing for me to know is if I'm making an impact. If not appreciated, the load I put on myself might not seem worth it. If not allowed to DO all the things I am capable of, then I'm MISERABLE. You guys know me by now, you see me griping if I'm not allowed to get programs running. You see me upset at a ESTJ for trying to hold me back. I had a brilliant doctor tell me the other day that without me she knows of several people who would be dead. I'm really glad she said it because I always try to downplay it and I hardly ever have said such a thing, it sounds presumptuous as heck--- but yeah, there are people alive right now because of me and a bunch of them were babies when I was a Pediatric dietitian.... Oh, I can't believe I am owning to it.... am I going to hate this post later? It's only because this ENFJ doctor COULD see it and said it that I am allowing myself this "say it out loud" credit. And nobody else could have saved these people that I know of because I asked the right questions. I called the right people. I motivated them and educated them in the right way to seek help. I used Ne to see the connections in a people-oriented way. That is what motivates me. So that being said here are the two things I need to be productive: #1 Someone needs me, needs me personally, needs me because it's their appointment, needs me right now. Needs me because I can help them figure things out and they know I care and they know they can trust me to have the right information. #2. There's got to be a flow to it. I remember when I was tele-marketing in college and they always said I got like 4x more calls made-- I hated that job so much--- but there was a flow. I used to cry into my pillow waking up knowing I had to go to it I hated that job so much. I'm going to add a #3. Variety. Variety in the job helps. Going for #4. I have to be the one figuring things out. Nobody can tell me, nobody had better control me. I need to be in charge of what I do and I will repay them with loads of productivity. I have a GREAT job for me. What would make it better is private practice. Sometimes I think I need to get a 2nd masters degree in therapy/counseling and that would benefit people even more. I can make deadlines if helping people is at stake. Oh my gosh... I can't believe I'm telling you all the above.... how annoying.... BUT our Ne is amazing! It can be applied!

*edit: I am horribly unproductive if I have time to be distracted. That's almost why I fill my schedule to the brim, because knowing that there is a person outside my door waiting keeps me focused. If I didn't have all these components to my job, I know I would not be productive. Also I did get onto this forum at lunch time a bunch of times last week and spent too much time and got distracted, so.... if I didn't have people to focus on I know my Ne would not get used.
Love you all and relate very much to you all and I hope this all helped. Plus I've never been that good at school for all the reasons you're all saying. Instead of studying the curriculum I wanted to study what I wanted to study. I hope everyone finds the jobs that make their talents shine, because all I see on this forum is TALENT, caring and intelligence. *blows kisses* Now to get to that book I'm avoiding writing.....:)

Reactions: ricericebaby

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Right now I'm working at a job that requires putting on a lot of different hats - you do a little bit of everything. It's very flexible. I work 8 hour shifts, which is nice. And I get to work with people who are struggling with mental illnesses who are in crisis.

I get to interact with them, try to observe what's going on and cater to what needs they have in the moment. I try to talk people through panic attacks, get people out of bed who don't have the energy because they're super depressed, listen to people when they need it and grab a counselor if that's what they need... I really, really love the work. I also administer medications. They call my position a Community Service Associate, but I think I'm basically a med tech. I get to work closely with nurses, doctors, security guards, and counselors. It's pretty cool to be on a team.

I like jobs where I get to do a little bit of everything and have a lot of interaction with people. I like the flexibility of shift work too. I currently hold a PRN (per required need) position, so they schedule me wherever they have trouble filling shifts, and they also call me in whenever someone else calls out. I get pretty good hours.

I much prefer this to the rigidity I get at school. I'm not well suited to it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I do procrastinate, but I force myself to be organized, especially now in college when I have so much to do and I simply can't procrastinate anymore.

In high school though, I was always just mainly extremely bored with the things that I was learning. I almost never paid attention enough in class because nothing caught my interest enough, and I would end up teaching myself like a month's worth of material the night before tests, and I'd still get A's. For some reason the education system's overall style of teaching was never that useful for me, so I ended up teaching myself most things. I don't consider myself particularly bright either so I'm not trying to brag or anything. I know a lot of students who are so much smarter than me. For some reason I just rarely ever learn well from teachers.

Luckily in college, professors are even less likely to be good at teaching, so the skill of learning how to teach myself material in high has been really useful at university. I still procrastinate but much less now and I make myself to keep schedules to stay on top of things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts