Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every test I've taken was a flop. Reading descriptions of 9, it seems to be the closest match. But I'm not so sure. Any idea of how I can find out for definite what I am???

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a 2, 4, or 8. But reading the descriptions, I feel like a 9. But then on other sites, I feel more like an 8. Is there an official page description somewhere??

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
To me this is the best site Enneagram Institute. I also like the organic and connected appraoch of Enneagram Explorations.

Type 9 and 6, both mainstream types, are hardest to identify well. Type 9 is a diplomat, seeking calm, typically reserved until they tease out as a bully or finally speak with gravitas. Type 6 is more a box checker, getting a list of things done. 6s act as a type of glue and have a need for connection. 9s are avoidant. 9s get caught up in seeking chill. 6s over stress themselves.

2 is a person that needs others to need them. They are insinuitive. They have a natural warmth that draws you in.

4 is a person that must indicate their own special distinction. The special snowflakes. They are expressive and moody.

8 is a person that feels the need to be strong and challenge others to be strong as well. They literally feel power as a sense.

Keep in mind that enneagram explorations (among other experts) has come up with a useful tool, the tritype to describe a person's top heart, mind, and gut type as a triad. This gives you essentially 3 types instead of 1 and helps you feel you are properly mapped better.

For instance, I am 8w7, 4w3, 7w8 or 8-4-7 tritype. A creature of pure chaos. Challenging, special, and joy driven.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
To me this is the best site Enneagram Institute. I also like the organic and connected appraoch of Enneagram Explorations.

Type 9 and 6, both mainstream types, are hardest to identify well. Type 9 is a diplomat, seeking calm, typically reserved until they tease out as a bully or finally speak with gravitas. Type 6 is more a box checker, getting a list of things done. 6s act as a type of glue and have a need for connection. 9s are avoidant. 9s get caught up in seeking chill. 6s over stress themselves.

2 is a person that needs others to need them. They are insinuitive. They have a natural warmth that draws you in.

4 is a person that must indicate their own special distinction. The special snowflakes. They are expressive and moody.

8 is a person that feels the need to be strong and challenge others to be strong as well. They literally feel power as a sense.

Keep in mind that enneagram explorations (among other experts) has come up with a useful tool, the tritype to describe a person's top heart, mind, and gut type as a triad. This gives you essentially 3 types instead of 1 and helps you feel you are properly mapped better.

For instance, I am 8w7, 4w3, 7w8 or 8-4-7 tritype. A creature of pure chaos. Challenging, special, and joy driven.
Epic description you special snowflake you ;)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Online resources are supposedly terrible. Since Enneagram is rooted in a person's insecurities and weaknesses as a person, try thinking more about your flaws and what you struggle with.

1. Struggle with anger. Typically repress it, and only feel it when the person feels it's 'justified,' or else when directed at self. Typically driven by a self-imposed need to be 'perfect.'

2. Think of themselves overly positively. Recognizing their flaws is their weakness. Shallow; act nice to people in order to feel better about themselves.

3. Performers. They preserve themselves by splitting their consciousness; putting up a facade for others to see to insulate their true selves. Their insecurity is a disconnect between themselves and their persona, and a deep-seated, unconscious dissonance between what they perceive to be their real selves and their projected persona.

4. Intensely envious of others. They perceive an emptiness in themselves, and so covet everything others have which they themselves lack. Paradoxically overcompensate by striving to shape their identity as differently from others as possible, to prove to themselves that they have value others don't, and that they matter somehow.

5. Reserved. Do not like to talk to people about their internal lives. They feel that if they were to express who they were, they would become less for it. They guard themselves out of a desire to hold onto everything that they feel they possess. Simplistic in their personal lives. Live almost entirely in a mental world; don't associate much with reality.

6. Unstable. Driven by a fear of loss. They seek to establish stability; security. Because they provide a sense of reliability, they become overly identified with routines and their work or home lives, losing sight of themselves as an independent person in the process. Their archetype is a 'defender of the castle.'

7. Addicted to fresh experiences. Seek to constantly preserve a pleasant mental state, at the expense of anything else that should happen to interfere with it. Disconnect themselves when they begin to feel even slightly unpleasant; constantly run after other, emotionally addictive mental states. Difficulty with focusing on anything uncomfortable for them. Often have trouble grasping the gravity of unpleasant situations.

8. Assert themselves out of a desire for control and power. In touch with their anger; animalistic. Use seduction; intensity; lust; anger; anything to get what they want. Their master is their own selves. Despise external authority. Have little regard for the spiritual or anything they perceive as emotionally 'weak.'

9. Perpetual observers. Do not think of themselves as people. They associate themselves with situations or people to feel a sense of identity. Without them they are nothing; un-people, without preferences, emotion, or ambition. Immediately try to sacrifice themselves to preserve a sense of peace. Have difficulty with ambition. Don't care about much; finding themselves unwilling to exert their will.

This is a good summary of the types, IMO.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Do you have a link for that? Are they elaborated on? They are pretty good, yeah.
I'd disagree, at least for the 6. This shows one very basic type 6, the wording seems far too generic and gives a very particular vibe that I don't feel captures it correctly.

In fact, sounds like very good worst case scenarios for the types. What I would say when thinking negative stereotype.

·
Registered
18,511 Posts
I'd disagree, at least for the 6. This shows one very basic type 6, the wording seems far too generic and gives a very particular vibe that I don't feel captures it correctly.

In fact, sounds like very good worst case scenarios for the types. What I would say when thinking negative stereotype.
Well, they are onliners after all, and are interested in showcasing the underlying issues or fears of the types rather than a more nuanced picture. Not sure what else there is to expect from that kind of premise.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Well, they are onliners after all, and are interested in showcasing the underlying issues or fears of the types rather than a more nuanced picture. Not sure what else there is to expect from that kind of premise.
Had they kept to one liners they may have been better off. They seem to want to expand and get trapped. Series0 gave very good short versions of 2, 4, and 8...

That page has some good descriptions and some very misleading/misrepresented and a variation between.

Everyone has type preferences, no matter how we may wish to minimize it. I think whoever was writing it maybe picked up on inconsistent details to showcase instead of giving an even keel to the negatives of each type.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Do you have a link for that? Are they elaborated on? They are pretty good, yeah.
Thanks. I wrote it.

Gilly said:

It's supposed to be negative. Other than that, I'll admit I don't have a great handle on 6 types.

Gilly said:
Everyone has type preferences, no matter how we may wish to minimize it. I think whoever was writing it maybe picked up on inconsistent details to showcase instead of giving an even keel to the negatives of each type.
Fair enough.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
@kittenklyn Okay, So I felt a bit guilty about how we -totally- derailed the point of this thread.

I did a bit of stalking. Oh baby ;)

I read some of your blog posts and many of your perC posts.

The way I see the enneagram, tritypes and wings is a decent way of mapping a personality so others can kind of see a basic shell of what they're getting before filling in the details of the actual person. So when I look at different people trying to look for their enneagram I look for traits that can automatically rule some types in or out.

Political and religious beliefs don't really play into this, but perhaps how one see's those establishments. You come off as a mild person to me, but one with strong beliefs. Beliefs you find are worthy of standing up for and perhaps even fighting for, if in debate alone.

I would say that for sure, I would type you as a 9 from what I have seen. Your wing, I would be less certain of. You say you see 8 in yourself. You will always be the best judge of your type, but keeping an open mind is never a bad thing. We often want to see the best in ourselves, giant flaw in humanity :D

For your head type, I really don't see 6 or 7 for you. You seem collected and rational, calm. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, we've not had feedback from you so it's all based on personally gathered information. 5 seems like a very good guess in your tritype. I would give you a wing for 4 because you seem to take some pleasure in being an outside the box kinda guy (don't we all? :p), but you also make it work with an insane amount of practicality. I also support biking vs having a car. Go you.

For the heart. I struggle with this a lot with you. I don't see blatant 2, so I would put it last in your tritype. I'm torn between 2 and 4, but I don't think your 4 is strong enough from what I've seen. So I will go with 2w1. You have ideals, and you want people to fit with them, but you aren't anal about it. You want the world to be a better place and for people to work together towards it.

To recap: tritype 952
Head: 5w4 (?)
Body: 9w8 (?)
Heart: 2w1 (?)

Everything I have written about you I gathered from what you have written, but I have never spoken to you and do not know you. It might all be complete and total bullshit. Please feel free to tear me to shreds ;)

From PerC - Tritypes thread.
259 Problem Solver Archetype

If you are a 259, you are caring, knowledgeable and accepting. You want to be helpful, wise and peaceful. You have a very shy, gentle and reserved nature that focuses on what is harmonious. You need companionship and avoid loneliness by focusing on the needs and concerns of others.

Your life mission is to find the information needed to help others manage their difficulties. A true problem solver, you are happiest when you are able to be in the role of a good Samaritan and help others find solutions.

You can be so focused on the helpful information you have collected that you can be too passive and miss opportunities that would allow true presence. You also have great pride in giving to others but not needing them.

your growing edge is to recognize that hesitating too long and being passive to avoid conflict does not keep the peace. true harmony comes from being in attunement with what is essential and in tending to it what is needed and when it is needed.

the 954 is more contemplative and the the 952 will be more focused on others

9s have a great capacity for depth, they just avoid conflict. Introspective 9s with 5 in the tritype are the intellectual 9s.

The two most passive Tritypes are the 259 and the 269. They are both Tritypes that try to avoid conflict and keep the peace. Both are shy and somewhat withdrawn like the 459. But, the 2 brings active helpfulness which is why both of these Tritypes are good Samaritans. The 269 is the most defined by the motivation to help regardless which type is dominant. The 259 is more reserved and helps by problem solving.

925 is one of the helping types. only the 926 is more helpful. This Tritype can be introverted and/or hesitant. When 9 is in charge this Tritype is often good at assessing situations but can have trouble knowing their own preferences and taking actions on their own behalf. Like the 269 the 259 is inclined to more passive than aggressive and can be reluctant to voice their views. They make great behavioral scientists and researchers.

592: Accepting and caring 5. Most gentle, kind-hearted 5. Tends to be passive 6 wing.

[258] What's hard with her is that she inadvertently forces people (even friends) to be very blunt when her services, advice, or even presence is not needed. I guess it's the triple-rejection nature that brings on this. My father is the 952 tritype and this can happen with him as well, only to a lesser degree.

five with a nine fix: pattern seeking above all. whimsical exploration,
disposition of reluctant idealist. open minded,
philosophical perspective. can seem to lack focus
while associating groupings of information into larger
theories. likes people and humanity as a whole,
shares ideas and is relatively easy to get along with.

2-9s - They avoid admitting that they have a (completely) negative image (and avoid anything that may lead to such a state). They're ultimate fear is that they have a completely "black" image and are unable to escape it. They enter a strong state of denial when this occurs. This isn't necessarily because of the Two side, but much rather because the 9 side can't handle such a reality and thus this kind of Two is more likely to withdraw into a more "positive" perspective of themselves. It's much nicer and much more comforting that way.

2-5s - They're schemers at heart. They combine their intellectuality with their emotionality to create sure-fire strategies that are bound to end with them projecting a "positive" image. They learn as much as possible from their environment to understand its rules and regulations, so they can then proceed to accomodate their image to it and therefore "fit in". This was the problem with Alice, as she could not understand her environment, thus her 5-fix had trouble. And because her 5-fix had trouble understanding, then her 2-type could not accomodate to the environment so easily. This led her to become frustrated and upset with her environment for not providing her coherent and consistent rules. The inconsistency of the rules and her natural tendency to accomodate the rules around her is what led her to become confused about her image.

2-5-9 - Because by 5-fix they rely on their experience to provide them with the rules which they can accomodate to, they expect a lot from the environment around them. Thus, this all combines to being incapable of admitting that they're environment has made a mistake (9-fix, it's uncomfortable to know that the thing you are relying on is unreliable. Or that it is impossible to accomodate to your environment, and thus be incapable of producing a "positive" image). For this reasons, 2-5-9s (and actually 2-9s really) have trouble admitting that there's something wrong with their environment, or have trouble blaming their environment for their issues. Logic mandates that if one is uncomfortable with where one is, one should run. And this might be exactly what a 2-9 may do. They may run from where they are to go to a place that they can more easily accomodate to. A problem may arise though when they can't really run from the truth. Running from the environment is in the end admitting that they can't accomodate to the rules of the environment. Thus, if this is something they aren't willing to accept, they may stay and try to learn more about their environment until it makes more coherent sense. In such a situation, as much as they'd like to flee, running is not an option.

9-2s and 5-2s may have somewhat similar issues, but have their main focus be a lot less centered on "fitting in" and more on "calming down" or "finding out".

5-2-9: this is a more generous, social and good-natured Five, who genuinely enjoys helping others out and being in a relationship with them. Although they do require their alone time, Fives of this tritype tend to be more personable and they make wonderful advisors and counselors as long as they can keep behind the scenes. They are rather attracted to human sciences (psychology, sociology) and have a natural flair for moderating conflicts and solving people’s problems.
typical subtypes: social, 5w4
similar tritypes: 5-9-2, 2-5-9
flavours: friendly, understanding, cooperative and humanistic

5-9-2: rather easy-going, modest and amiable, these Fives are usually pleasant to have around because of their friendly nature and deeper understanding of the human needs and frailties. They are less judgemental and critical than other Fives and prefer to focus on the better side of things and people and work on exploring and improving these. They also have a somewhat holistic approach to life’s problems and questions – they tend to prefer the general to the particular and aren’t always very scientifically thorough.
typical subtypes: self-preserving, social, 5w4
similar tritypes: 5-2-9, 9-5-2
flavours: agreeable, relaxed, friendly and spiritual
This discription doesn't exactly fit you I feel, but it comes close to your vibe, although I'd put far less effort on the helping others specifically that they seem to be going for. They also have no description for what I peg you as which is 952. Almost all of these descriptions are 2 based.

·
Registered
18,511 Posts
Had they kept to one liners they may have been better off. They seem to want to expand and get trapped. Series0 gave very good short versions of 2, 4, and 8...

That page has some good descriptions and some very misleading/misrepresented and a variation between.

How would you rather see it expressed?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Gilly

Okay, time to tear you to shreds
*Rips Gilly in half and makes confetti*

But let me see,

It is true that I try to be calm and reserved when in any kind of debate. I dont respect people who start yelling or screaming- its not classy and quite frankly, those kinds of people often make bad arguments that are not logical or reasonable. I have reasons for living the way i do, and i am always prepared to justify them with statistics, facts, examples, and more.

I believe that truth is one of the most important things- but this only serves to enhance my main desire which is as follows: make life good for everybody.

I don't have any patience for people who knowingly hurt others. If it is something that i think is really important such as veganism, feminism, racism, human trafficking, slave labor in the chocolate industry, etc etc etc, i will fight tooth and nail- but not without evidence. I do not respect people who ignore important issues simply to be comfortable and i have no problems being confrontational with these kinds of people. I do make a lot of people unsettled when i talk about some of these topics because i tend to shoot for root causes which usually involve the people themselves. this does disrupt the peace, but it is for good reasons, i justify it.

however, i have learned that people will not change by the opinions of others- they need to make a change themselves, so i no longer try to convince people to live a certain way. BUT!! if anyone makes an incorrect claim (Such as, "You need to eat meat to get protein"), i really cannot help myself but speak about it.

everything I do is in correlation to live what i consider to be a 'good life.' one that does not hurt others, but rather lifts everyone up from all cultures and nations. the best situation is one where everyone has what they need (not necessarily what they want).

As for living outside the box- this is definitely true. the car vs bike thread is an excellent example of this. I simply see what i think is a good way to live and i go for it. I try to live practically, live beneath my means, take care of my necessities etc. it is also evident in my minimalist way of life (i proudly state that i own less than 98 items in total), but i back this all up with concrete proof that, for me at least, it is a wonderful way of life. it is simple, and i like that. i do take a lot of pride in thinking in non-conventional ways.

I definitely do want people to live according to certain beliefs- mainly that comfort should not come before others safety. of course, like i said, i cant change people, but i certainly hope for it.

______________________________________________________________________________________

in areas that do not involve morality and the like, i give stunning advice. my favorite thing to tell people is: "there isn't just one way to live. just because someone says that you need to do something, doesn't mean that they are right"
i am very good with handling money, so i often give helpful tips to friends so that they can save more, or invest properly, etc.
I love helping my friends, family, and even strangers when it comes to giving advice, aiding in a service, and simply finding information for them. i get a lot of fulfillment when my life is beneficial to another. I do take pride in my intellect- being able to reasonably find solutions to problems between people and being "the voice of reason" when conflict arises.

I do not like confrontation, however i will confront someone if i sense there is an issue. after all, problems dont disappear unless you address them. so i force myself to get involved. and i dont feel right gossiping about something unless i've actually tried to fix it first.

ultimately: i want everyone to get along, i will judge people harshly that act out in ways that disrupt harmony and peace, and i do not forgive easily if an individual willingly hurts an innocent person.

I hope that helps (/- 3-)/

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@kittenklyn you did tear me to shreds. I was super wrong and now you've hurt my brain. I need more. Tell me more? :)

You talk about a perfect world and a society but not individuals.
Hmmm, I do want a good world, but it has always been focused on people.

I don't know which posts you've read, but in one of them I talk about what i feel is my purpose in life, which may shed some light here.

In my last year of high school, a north korean defector came to give us a talk on what life is like there- that speech broke my heart in a million ways because of the horrific stories she was telling us of her own experience.

it is for people that i want the world to be safe. it really kills me when i hear about girls being sold into the sex trade, or the atrocities committed under the North Korean Regime, or when an animal is tortured in factory farms. I've cried a whole lot about these things because, well, i dont know. people around me dont seem to care enough to do anything, so maybe im different? I dont know honestly. Its what i feel.

So, my logic is that if everyone worked together to fix the world up, it would be safer for everyone. ex: stop buying chocolate from slave owners would increase the demand for fair work and fair pay, thus ending the suffering of children who are kidnapped for the Ivory Coast, by deleting the demand for cheap chocolate goods that require cheap/slave labor.

Its the people who have shitty lives that break my heart, and often times make me feel guilty for having so much more than they do simply for being born where i was. luck. Therefore, i feel as if it is my duty and responsibility to help them- otherwise my life is pretty useless. my feel as if i am the same as everyone. and i hurt when they hurt. I have to help them, because i feel like i am connected to them somehow, like they're my family. if that sounds crazy it probably is.

Helping at all???

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yes, It's helping a lot. You sound like an awesome person btw.. :)

The tritype descriptions. What felt wrong about those descriptions to you? What fits and what does not?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts