Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am 16 years old, meaning I haven't come too far in my education. All the physics, chemistry and biology I have learned so far have been very basic and had nothing to do with mathematics.

I am wondering, how do I find the right science branch for me to learn. I am sure I want to work with science, because of its' problemsolving nature and I would just find everything else boring.

Should I look actively for something that can entertain me as a hobby, and if so, how?
Do I just wait until I get into more advanced courses (will take a few years, and I can't wait to be honest)?

Any tips appreciated.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Finding the branch is difficult for you? Strange. Finding an occupation is hard for me. Don't really know what to tell you because I don't know anything about you.

Do what you like, nothing else.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Go into a university and browse their textbooks for different courses. The foundational stuff in highschool is important (especially for chem and maths), but university (and from that point onwards) study is very different.

Do what I didn't do, and do a lot of reading now. Start with a discipline like biology, and search the web for all the associated components and streams. You might come across an area that fascinates you. Also, browse around universities and their post graduate research in different compartments, it might give you something to think about whether you'd like to research things like that. Also looking up the predominate people and places leading the way in certain fields, and tracking their work, might spark your interest. What are people researching now? what's happening in this field now? email a few people too. Showing interest is important, and i'm sure there are people willing to help if you have questions.

Often times generic science degrees let you explore different streams in your first year, so when you get to university, try a few different ones. In my first year i've done maths, chem, geoscience, psychology, evolutionary biology, and a range of other things. I came into the science degree knowing pretty well what I wanted to do, but looking at other fields has kept my interests open. I generally like most fields of science.

·
Registered
771 Posts
You answered it yourself. Develop a few hobbies - areas of interests.

Schools. colleges/Uni offer a foundation a broad spectrum if one prefers - it has to be for everyone...not ideal but people need that foundation

perhaps nothing really interests you
But, perhaps everything interests you

later on it can be more complex and theoretical, albeit it is not always based on sound foundations
a dichotomy..it really is :)

therefore become a priest or fizisist

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You could always go into college with an undeclared major. They don't like you to do that, but you can.

Then start on your gen eds. Take a biology course, a physics course, a chem course...See what they're like and how they fit with you. See if you can find some textbooks to read and look at. I would advise against waiting til advanced courses to decide because it will take forever. Science majors tend to have a lot of pre reqs before you get into advanced classes. Like, I'm a biology major and I had to take chem 101 before I could take chem 211. I had to take chem 211 before i could take chem 212 and bio 201, 202 and 203. I had to take those three bio classes before I could take 310. I had to take 201 and 202 before I could take 304 and 305. Have to take bio 310 before I can take 470. It basically took me 2 years before I could get into advanced courses.

If you get that far and decide you don't like bio, then you've just wasted a year (or two) and a whole lot of money. LUCKILY, a lot of science classes are required for different kids of science majors. Chemistry majors are required to take some biology classes and physics, biology majors are required to take some chemistry and some geology or physics. So if you can try to take some that will count towards one of the other majors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts