Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I thought maybe I was somewhere in the middle, but then I read more about how the different functions are supposed to be represented within each temperament, and it seems as though you're really supposed to belong to one or the other.

I scored in the 99th percentile on my SAT (which seems T-ish), but I also got kicked out of my high school for failing most of my classes.

A lot of people have the impression that I am socially unaware or aloof, but I took one of those tests where you try to tell what the person is feeling based on their eyes, and I scored in the 98th percentile or something. People who know me well tend to think of me as more emotionally aware than people who are merely acquainted with me. Many people find me strange or even rude at first, but when they get to know me, they often become very comfortable with me and share things with me.

I am a philosophy major, and I think critically and relatively rationally, but I hate formal logic. The human condition is one of my primary interests, but I tend to connect it with broader metaphysical and ontological pursuits.

I have a hard time separating thought from feeling. Thoughts tend to have heavy emotional significance attached to them. It seems as though either T or F by itself is pretty impotent. I read a lot of nonfiction, but I also like poetry, art, music, and literature.

I was diagnosed with a depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, dissociation (derealization and depersonalization), and sensory processing stuff (probably secondary to ADD). I don't know if this reflects my temperament or is irrelevant. Also, I'm gay, so I don't know if that has anything to do with F vs. T (it seems like gays would be more likely F than T, just going by stereotypes).

A lot of the time I feel empty and as though I'm missing something that other people have, like a soul. I have trouble finding the motivation to do things like get out of bed, go to class, talk to the people I'm supposed to talk to, etc. I have messed around a lot with drugs, especially psychedelics, but also coke, mdma, opioids, benzos, etc. For a long time, I thought it was just for the stimulation, but I'm starting to realize that I am also probably looking for some sort of transformative or spiritual experience, or some push in any direction.

One thing I've noticed about myself is that I really don't like to lie. It's not that I have any ethical or philosophical issue with lying, but I really don't like doing it myself. Which is weird, because nobody in my family knows that I am gay, nor do many of my friends from before college, which I guess means I've been lying my entire life.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but I tend to experience something that I think of as 'atmospheres' or ambience or auras (not in the psychic or supernatural sense). I'm often inside my own head rather than engaging with what's around me, but the totality of my environment (more than the sum of the parts) tends to assert itself in my mind, like something between a feeling, or a picture, or a thought which is difficult to describe. And then later, I become nostalgic for these auras, even though at the time, I wasn't really paying much attention to them.

I smoke pretty heavily (cigarettes, but also weed), and I guess I would describe myself as having an addictive personality. When I don't smoke for a while, I begin to feel very depressed, as though nothing is real, and even more soulless.

I don't care about the things that I am supposed to care about. I used to be kind of proud of myself for this, but now I realize that you kind of need to take care of yourself and fulfill certain obligations, but I never do. I am always late for everything, and I can't focus on something that doesn't interest me or that I need a short break from. For me, the only manifest purpose of existence (that I have yet discovered) is to understand oneself, one's place in the world, and the relationship between oneself and others. Self-knowledge and self-awareness are very important to me, but it seems difficult to reconcile these things with sincerity. Self-awareness often seems to involve detachment, and this then leads to irony, but I try to be as sincere as possible.

My favorite philosophers are probably Aristotle, Hegel, Marx, Sartre, and Camus. I also recently became interested in Indian philosophy. I listen to a lot of different types of music (post-punk, folk, electronic, classical....) depending on what I'm in the mood for. I really like Kafka, Rimbaud, Oscar Wilde, and Van Gogh. My favorite directors are Ingmar Bergman and Woody Allen.

Even though I'm kind of smart (I know that is sort of arrogant, but I feel like if I am going to be honest, it is true), I really hate pedantic people who correct grammar and stuff.

I have seen INFP titled "Healers", "Idealists" and "Dreamers". The Dreamer and Idealist labels seem to describe me well, but I'm not sure about Healer. As for the "Thinker" label of INTP, that describes me well, too.

I tend to think in terms of systems of interrelations, where the whole is more than and modifies the parts, and I prefer looking at processes and theory rather than things or facts. This is why I like philosophy, and why I prefer Aristotle and Hegel in particular.

I like philosophy a whole lot, but science and mathematics usually bore me. I suspect that if I understood the basics well enough to learn higher-level physics, I would find it more interesting, but I can't stand physics 101 or Calculus II (which I just dropped). On the other hand, I am actually pretty good at math when I do it. I just don't care to learn a bunch of formal rules about things that don't interest me.

I also have very anti-authoritarian tendencies and even though I know it's immature, I do things just to rebel or spite authority figures. I tend to get into arguments with cops, TAs, teachers, and anybody who tries to tell me what to do, if I don't think I should have to do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You just know.
Without thinking at all, I know I am an INFP from the physical experience of being Fi-Dom. Feelings, opinions, beliefs, values, preferences, etc are so relevant that I can physically feel everything so deeply, all the time, and can label the feelings, their origin, their purpose, etc.
If I could tell you one thing about INFPs it would be that INFPs are generally looked at as useless from a worldly/business standpoint, no tangible special skills that Se, Ne, Te, Fe, Si, Ni, or Ti possesses, but INFPs are good at feeling, sympathizing, understanding, listening, giving sound advice- talents that aren't generally recognized as talents.
Many INFPs are really smart as well- just because one is an F, doesn't mean he is not smart and just because someone is a T doesn't mean he is heartless either.

You seem more Fi-Dom than Ti-Dom to me considering your addictive personality and
"I have a hard time separating thought from feeling. Thoughts tend to have heavy emotional significance attached to them."
That screams Fi. Being a thinker isn't about thinking, it's about logic. If your thoughts seem to have a more emotional significance attached to them as opposed to logic, chances are you're an INFP.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The T/F dimension is about how you make your decisions. If you make decisions based primarily on your values then you are an F type, but if you make your decisions based primarily on facts, then you are a T.
That doesn't make any sense. A hypothetical imperative has two parts: a goal, and a means to that goal. The goal is going to be based on values. The means are going to be based in thought.

To some extent, I think there is a sense in which logical thought is rooted in feeling. There are certain fundamental axioms of logic that can't be deduced from anything else, but that we accept because of a subjective feeling that they are 'right'. In fact, I think more broadly, there is a feeling of 'certainty' that is experienced whenever we decide that something is right.

That's sort of the difference between the natural logic we all have in our minds, and the more complicated formal logic you would learn in a class. Taking the course, you know that the rules you are taught are probably true or else they wouldn't be teaching them to you, but you don't get the same experience of certainty from them until you understand how they are derived from more fundamental principles (say, the laws of identity, non-contradiction, and the excluded middle).

·
Registered
971 Posts
''Ti function (INTP): Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, we search for a "leverage point" that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system. We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what's observed.

Fi function (INFP):
It is often hard to assign words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images, feeling tones, and gut reactions more than words. As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in. There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life's situations. We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, "Sometimes, some things just have to be said." On the other hand, most of the time this process works "in private" and is expressed through actions. It helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the "essence" of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.''

·
Banned
573 Posts
One way to tell is to think about if you care how others would feel before you say something (like hurting one's feelings). A Thinking type is that obnoxious type to not think about how others would feel before they say something. Ask yourself if you're sensitive or really dislike any type of conflict when you're in conversation with others to make you think about what you say before you offend or hurt someone's feelings

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
How do I know if I am INFP or INTP?
1) Buy a hand gun
2) Shoot yourself in the foot
3) If you react with "how did this make me feel," you're an INFP. If you start looking at the blood to figure out potential fractal patterns, you're an INTP.

It's an irrefutable test.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One way to tell is to think about if you care how others would feel before you say something (like hurting one's feelings). A Thinking type is that obnoxious type to not think about how others would feel before they say something. Ask yourself if you're sensitive or really dislike any type of conflict when you're in conversation with others to make you think about what you say before you offend or hurt someone's feelings
Maybe you know more about the theory than I do, but I highly doubt all Ts are soulless sociopaths.

Reactions: Seph

·
Banned
573 Posts
Maybe you know more about the theory than I do, but I highly doubt all Ts are soulless sociopaths.
I merely said that the way I mentioned is one way that you can possibly tell which one an individual might be, but you've added unfitting names that I didn't even intend to include.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Does it truly matter?

Perhaps you are INTP or perhaps you are INFP.

Or maybe you might be even both.

If the box doesn't fit properly, simply step out of it or alternatively simply increase the size of the box.

The quote in your signature by the great Oscar Wilde just speaks on this brilliantly.

“To define is to limit.”
Need I say more?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to admit, I use that Wilde quote a bit ironically. That all determination is negation is a fundamental Spinozist and Hegelian insight. I do also think that there is some merit to Lord Henry Wotton's intended meaning, though. In fact, I originally came to these boards to debate over the validity of the Myers Briggs types, or at least the rigidity of the theory. I'll probably have to read some Jung before I come to any conclusions about it.

I'm still curious about which box I'd be placed in, though.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,669 Posts
Well in a nutshell, do you prefer impersonal analysis(things that make logical sense regardless of feelings and values) or personal analysis and building up a strong value set over time. INTP has inferior Fe and INFP has inferior Te, this still can be a confusion though but the one that you feel most insecure about, Te or Fe, is a big clue. Ti and Fi are very different though the similarities lie with how they are both introverted and dislike inconsistancy with their mode of preference e.g value inconsistancies or logical inconsistancies(similar pattern here), Ti tends to be more mechanistic. Im sure you will figure out which one you dominate with in time.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
One of the clues for me, as I struggled with which of two suited me best as well, was when I read a biography of Einstein and I felt horribly sorry for his first wife, second wife, and his children. His son felt estranged from his dad, as he was always either in his study or at the university. When he was at home he preferred to be left alone. Einstein was clearly much more interested in his ideas than he was in building his personal relationships. I would never be that aloof at home with the people I love.

I think some of the confusion is that there is a difference between logic that is learned in school and a preference for thinking bases on its suppression of feeling values. The former will suppress impersonal statements in order to not offend anyone, while the latter will suppress personal statements in order to be correct. There are shades of grey that can be entirely obscured by a formal educational system. As I've gotten older I've been much more comfortable making impersonal statements, but I majored in the sciences in college and work in a technical field, so I should be. I honestly think socionics does a much better job defining the inner working of FiNe than MBTI because it notes how academically inclined we actually are:

Socionics Types: EII-INFj
Socionics - the16types.info - INFj description by Filatova

Also, I have a strong repulsion to seeing anything die. When I was younger I would dwell on scenes from movies that provoked my empathy for the character. Again, as I've gotten older, and have seen many living things die, including many people, I've been able to face death with maturity, but it has been a long road for me there.

I hope some of this information is useful to you. Typing oneself can be a royal pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
1) Buy a hand gun
2) Shoot yourself in the foot
3) If you react with "how did this make me feel," you're an INFP. If you start looking at the blood to figure out potential fractal patterns, you're an INTP.

It's an irrefutable test.
No! First you will experience fight-or-flight reaction (beyond of anything that has to do with MBTI type), then you are attaching values or feeling to it. In fact, I would look for potential fractal patterns first then think about how this is going to affect me (job, family, where is a good place to seek help, etc.). @Wistfulness has a perfect description of Fi.

Reactions: mushr00m

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
One of the clues for me, as I struggled with which of two suited me best as well, was when I read a biography of Einstein and I felt horribly sorry for his first wife, second wife, and his children. His son felt estranged from his dad, as he was always either in his study or at the university. When he was at home he preferred to be left alone. Einstein was clearly much more interested in his ideas than he was in building his personal relationships. I would never be that aloof at home with the people I love.
I think some of the confusion is that there is a difference between logic that is learned in school and a preference for thinking bases on its suppression of feeling values. The former will suppress impersonal statements in order to not offend anyone, while the latter will suppress personal statements in order to be correct. There are shades of grey that can be entirely obscured by a formal educational system. As I've gotten older I've been much more comfortable making impersonal statements, but I majored in the sciences in college and work in a technical field, so I should be. I honestly think socionics does a much better job defining the inner working of FiNe than MBTI because it notes how academically inclined we actually are:

Socionics Types: EII-INFj
Socionics - the16types.info - INFj description by Filatova

Also, I have a strong repulsion to seeing anything die. When I was younger I would dwell on scenes from movies that provoked my empathy for the character. Again, as I've gotten older, and have seen many living things die, including many people, I've been able to face death with maturity, but it has been a long road for me there.

I hope some of this information is useful to you. Typing oneself can be a royal pain in the ass.
Mileva Maric was a better mathematician than Einstein was. She was a great help in mathematical building of his theory. She was left in poverty and children were sick while Einstein did not bore to help them. I do not think that every INTP is like this. Very few I might think.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I just really disagree with the idea that Ti and Fi are somehow mutually exclusive. I use Fi when I'm engaging with people, I use Ti when I'm sorting out ideas, and I use a combination of T and F when I'm working with values.

i certainly don't like to see people die, to cheat, or to lie. I also think you should be rational while you're thinking or arguing. I don't understand why this theory seems to make people decide between being a bit autistic and being completely irrational. In different contexts, problems need to be approached in different ways. Obviously, you can't solve a math problem with feeling.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
According to a cognitive functions test, I have Ti > Fi > Ni/Ne > Fe > Se/Si > Te. And only Se and Si were below 70 percent. I'm starting to think this whole mbti thing is just really stupid, when you take it too seriously at least.

EDIT: whoops, my Te is also under 70%, and even lower than S.

Reactions: Seph

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Damn there goes my theory that T types are fuelled by batteries and F types eat rainbows ;-)

·
Registered
251 Posts
The T/F dimension is about how you make your decisions. If you make decisions based primarily on your values then you are an F type, but if you make your decisions based primarily on facts, then you are a T.
I think it is much more complex than that. I make decisions based on my strong set of values combined with logic.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts