Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whenever I'm doing self improvement, maybe I'm doing it in order to change how others may react towards me. In this case I'm disintegrating to type 2s.

When am I ever doing the self-improvement for myself?

Enneagram says that when type 4s are healthy, they follow principles. In doing so, they become more like type 1s.

If I exercise in order to fulfill a principle, how do I know I'm not just doing this for the sake of others? Even if I reason out all the benefits of exercise, and do it in order to be healthy, how do I know I'm not just telling myself this in order to avoid believing that I'm actually motivated by others?

Edit: Even in editing my posts. I thought I edit my posts to clearly articulate my thoughts, but now I'm not sure if I'm unconsciously trying to seek approval.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Why does it matter whether your values come from yourself or from others? Most likely, your principles will naturally align with the principles of other people; for example, valuing excersize in order to stay healthy is pretty universal. Even if you are excersizing in order to become more attractive to others, the self-discipline and the effort of working out comes from you, not from your friends/colleagues/love interest. If it feels right, then you are probably on the right track.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts