Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at MBTI types and income. A web page said that the Judging preference has the most impact on income and educational levels. I've also noticed on TV shows such as Wife Swap that the families with high income are the ones who are high J. They have clean homes and they use schedules. They're very disciplined.

So what are all the things I should be doing to have a 100% score in judging?
If you have a high J score, what kind of J things do you do and how do you live every day?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
How do I raise my J to the maximum?

J

Answer dishonestly on the tests. I can answer the questions on an MBTI test so I get 100% iNtuitive but that doesn't make me 100% iNtuitive. You have the score you have. (Sorry about the meaningless totality.)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier if you think about how to get a high income instead of "raising your J". Do you really think that doing them J stuff (whatever you're meaning with that) is magically going to bring you higher income? Don't you think that doing said J things just to raise your % on tests is faking it? I mean - you can just answer the questions the way they are supposed to be answered to get a higher %. It will basically be achieving the same result with less efforts.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Quite strictly speaking:

You can't really raise your J since it is not an isolated function, in the same way you can't raise your E or lower your I.

If you're an INTJ, your J is connected to your T (and your I to your N). You're an introverted perceiving type. The J only means you extravert your thinking/judging function (Te). So in a way, that's what you'd need to develop if you feel you "want to raise your J".

Reactions: Seph

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You have to organise your room completely, be on time to appointments and plan everything
Also answer all the P/J multi-choice questions correctly

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
That's quite the flawed way of thinking..
Being an INTJ means you have a preference for J in the first place.
You are who you are, and unless you are going to get yourself brainwashed, I don't see a way of genuinely increasing you J score.
Trying to force yourself to fit better the J stereotype can result in a pretty stressful way of life.
Try to excel in your work life instead of looking for such questionable methods.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Being an INTJ means you have a preference for J in the first place.
Hm, depends on angle: An INTJ actually has a preference for P(i) - they're Perceivers, not Judgers. They only prefer to extravert their judging function, but that's auxiliary, not dominant. So the preference is always perceiving if you're an IxxJ. Confusing, but true.

I agree with the rest of your post though...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hm, depends on angle: An INTJ actually has a preference for P(i) - they're Perceivers, not Judgers. They only prefer to extravert their judging function, but that's auxiliary, not dominant. So the preference is always perceiving if you're an IxxJ. Confusing, but true.

I agree with the rest of your post though...
I'm talking dichotomy-wise. Cognitive functions seem irrelevant here.

·
Banned
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You people fail to understand me and you don't want to understand me or be helpful. You just enjoy taking a big shit on my ideas and thoughts.

How can I be a highly flawed and incorrect thinker when I have a high IQ? You INTJ's are far too quick and eager to trash other people's ideas and thoughts out of spite or whatever. I hate that about INTJs. It's unreasonable and wrong. And being and INTJ I would think that you yourself don't like having your ideas and thoughts totally stomped on like that. I'm sick and tired of people talking to me like I'm an idiot and telling me that all my ideas are wrong even though I have a high IQ. Even my stupid ESTJ mother (who probably has an IQ below 100) disagrees and disapproves of all my ideas. In my business I have good ideas and strategies and I make more money than almost all the other people who do the same thing.

I want to transform and improve myself to enable myself to be more successful. What's so wrong and stupid about that?! A lot of people already modify their behavior so they can be better workers. I've identified that being low in Judging preference is a problem area for me and I'm going to correct it. I don't want to hear that I can't change myself, because I need to change myself!

I did some searching. This is some of the kind of information I was looking for. I can work on doing the judging things and avoid doing the perceiving things. After looking at this list, it looks like being a perceiver sucks and is a recipe for failure.

** JUDGING **
Decisive
Controlled
Good at finishing
Organized
Structured
Scheduled
Quick at tasks
Responsible
Likes closure
Makes plans
* like to make decisions, or at least like to have things decided
* task oriented
* like to make lists of things to do
* like to get their work done before playing
* plan work to avoid rushing just before deadline
* Schedule things in advance
* Bring closure to an issue so that we can move on

** PERCEIVING **
Adaptable
Relaxed
Disorganized
Care-free
Spontaneous
Changes tracks midway
Keeps options open
Procrastinates
Dislikes routine
Flexible
Postpone decisions to see what other options are available
Act spontaneously
Decide what to do as we do it, rather than forming a plan ahead of time
Do things at the last minute

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm talking dichotomy-wise. Cognitive functions seem irrelevant here.
Okay. I personally think cognitive functions are never irrelevant and the whole dichotomy idea is a flawed one (and the reason why so many people mistype), but on that, we can agree to disagree :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You people fail to understand me and you don't want to understand me or be helpful. You just enjoy taking a big shit on my ideas and thoughts.

How can I be a highly flawed and incorrect thinker when I have a high IQ? You INTJ's are far too quick and eager to trash other people's ideas and thoughts out of spite or whatever. I hate that about INTJs. It's unreasonable and wrong. And being and INTJ I would think that you yourself don't like having your ideas and thoughts totally stomped on like that. I'm sick and tired of people talking to me like I'm an idiot and telling me that all my ideas are wrong even though I have a high IQ. Even my stupid ESTJ mother (who probably has an IQ below 100) disagrees and disapproves of all my ideas. In my business I have good ideas and strategies and I make more money than almost all the other people who do the same thing.

I want to transform and improve myself to enable myself to be more successful. What's so wrong and stupid about that?! A lot of people already modify their behavior so they can be better workers. I've identified that being low in Judging preference is a problem area for me and I'm going to correct it. I don't want to hear that I can't change myself, because I need to change myself!

I did some searching. This is some of the kind of information I was looking for. I can work on doing the judging things and avoid doing the perceiving things. After looking at this list, it looks like being a perceiver sucks and is a recipe for failure.

** JUDGING **
Decisive
Controlled
Good at finishing
Organized
Structured
Scheduled
Quick at tasks
Responsible
Likes closure
Makes plans
* task oriented
* Schedule things in advance
* Bring closure to an issue so that we can move on

** PERCEIVING **
Adaptable
Relaxed
Disorganized
Care-free
Spontaneous
Changes tracks midway
Keeps options open
Procrastinates
Dislikes routine
Flexible
Postpone decisions to see what other options are available
Act spontaneously
Decide what to do as we do it, rather than forming a plan ahead of time
Do things at the last minute

Oook............ you have issues in your life and it's understandable but you need to hold your horses for a moment.
No one is being unhelpful on purpose. You posted a problem on a forum and asked for advice, and those who read it told you things as they are. Being radical 100% to one direction is never good, and there isn't some magic pill that will make you more J.
I'm not looking down on you and it doesn't make my day to shoot down you ideas. You can start doing all the things you just listed if you want and see if you can get used to it and go with it as a way of life. I can't tell you how to like something.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,486 Posts
Plenty of Ps can be focused, driven and disciplined. I guess it's all about what you find important. If you live for ambition then there is a pay off financially but it may cost you socially and romantically. You could spend your life cleaning and having a beautiful home but then there are hobbies and things which help you wind down that may have to be put aside.

I would say just figure what you want aim for it and try and streamline so you can strike a balance and not lose your mind getting caught up in it all.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
@Killionaire

First advice to be successful in business (from someone who is):
Don't take things personally.
Grow a thick skin.
Be creative and think outside of the box (probably one of the "dreaded P-traits" in your understanding).
Focus on what you're good at and expand from there. Don't focus on the money first.

More specifically about the traits you desire:
I think it's great you want to work on yourself/improve. Everything you mention can be learned, honed and/or perfected. Single out what you feel you're bad at and then work on that, instead of just thinking of it as J & P in a generalised way.
If you find that's too tricky on your own, get the help of a mentor or coach. If you want to improve, you need to invest (usually time and money).

Reactions: EyesOpen and seiei

·
Registered
217 Posts
It is not that difficult to figure out that OP is actually asking how to be more decisive, disciplined, etc. So why are you all trying to lecture him on MBTI?

Reactions: Zaabon

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
On dichotomy tests I show an overwhelming J preference, and the list you found seems pretty accurate. I will add:

-Adaptability and Flexibility are both P traits that will serve you well and keep you grounded. Don't give them up just because they're on the other list.
-Always keep in mind that your goal is training your mental processes. Employers are less likely to notice your clean house than to notice how you order your thoughts and speech.
-Don't get so caught up in planning that you ignore your intuition when it says something is wrong. Your Ni is stronger than your Te and it knows what it's doing. (I learned that one the hard way.)

Good luck.

Reactions: SoulScream

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
First of all, the cognitive functions are always important, regardless of dichotomy, because they drive the dichotomies.

All I__J and E__P types have dominant cognitive processes that are classified by Jung as Perceiving. This means that they have a stronger preference towards taking information in than they have for processing it. The reason I__J are considered Judgers in MBTI and E__P are considered Perceivers despite the 8 types sharing this commonality is that I__J types, like E__J types, prefer an Extraverted Judging function (Te or Fe) instead of an Introverted one (Ti or Fi).

In other words it is not because they are "more organized," it is because their way of conveying their assessments is extraverted, and objective. One could be a strong Judger and still do this in the context of being very unorganized, or very poor.

If you want to improve your income, you need to either develop and follow through a plan at your current work to move to the next bracket level, or find a position at a different place of employment that will offer more. You cannot change or modify your MBTI type, so you need to focus on those goals directly, not as mediated by type.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
you people fail to understand me and you don't want to understand me or be helpful. You just enjoy taking a big shit on my ideas and thoughts.

How can i be a highly flawed and incorrect thinker when i have a high iq? You intj's are far too quick and eager to trash other people's ideas and thoughts out of spite or whatever. I hate that about intjs. It's unreasonable and wrong. And being and intj i would think that you yourself don't like having your ideas and thoughts totally stomped on like that. I'm sick and tired of people talking to me like i'm an idiot and telling me that all my ideas are wrong even though i have a high iq. Even my stupid estj mother (who probably has an iq below 100) disagrees and disapproves of all my ideas. In my business i have good ideas and strategies and i make more money than almost all the other people who do the same thing.

I want to transform and improve myself to enable myself to be more successful. What's so wrong and stupid about that?! A lot of people already modify their behavior so they can be better workers. I've identified that being low in judging preference is a problem area for me and i'm going to correct it. I don't want to hear that i can't change myself, because i need to change myself!

I did some searching. This is some of the kind of information i was looking for. I can work on doing the judging things and avoid doing the perceiving things. After looking at this list, it looks like being a perceiver sucks and is a recipe for failure.

** judging **
decisive
controlled
good at finishing
organized
structured
scheduled
quick at tasks
responsible
likes closure
makes plans
* task oriented
* schedule things in advance
* bring closure to an issue so that we can move on

** perceiving **
adaptable
relaxed
disorganized
care-free
spontaneous
changes tracks midway
keeps options open
procrastinates
dislikes routine
flexible
postpone decisions to see what other options are available
act spontaneously
decide what to do as we do it, rather than forming a plan ahead of time
do things at the last minute
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

·
Banned
2,064 Posts
So I was looking at MBTI types and income. A web page said that the Judging preference has the most impact on income and educational levels. I've also noticed on TV shows such as Wife Swap that the families with high income are the ones who are high J. They have clean homes and they use schedules. They're very disciplined.

If you have a high J score, what kind of J things do you do and how do you live every day?
Here's simple steps imo, based on the definition that J means actually doing things instead of just imagining them or planning them.
1. Start doing all the things that you plan even-though you see some possible drawbacks such as modesty or in-existent issues of morality that other people preach but never practice. One example is, if someone tells you you can't do that, prove them wrong, not only theoretically but practically too. Then beat the shit out of them for being stupid.
2. Stay away from people with P preference or do NOT take their advice seriously. They can demotivate you by showing you it's better to sit on your butt and do nothing.
3. Stay away from other J people that DO NOT support you and your actions. Negative judging Js can do alot more harm than Ps.
4. In general terms, _DO_ whatever you want to do or think of doing and never give a fuck about what others around you say as long as it's none of their business.

Reactions: WinterFox

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm going to take the position that you can influence your behavior and push yourself to be more organized, efficient, streamlined, etc. (or outgoing and socially available if your intent were to develop your extroversion, for instance). It's just going to be a matter of challenging yourself on your weak areas. If you procrastinate, stop procrastinating. Try organizing your organization. Or at least outlining what you need to do to reach your goals.

As a J, I am goal-oriented so it helps me to think first in terms of goals and then in terms of steps to reach them. So the more you focus on that the more successful you'll be.

For the rest of this thread:

The whole point of MBTI, by the way, is not to lock us into some definitive pattern that we can never escape. The point is to know where we stand, know why we see things the way we do, and to examine our growing areas. Being a strong J doesn't mean you'll never be anything else because it's set in stone. It means you need to consider loosening up a little and being more accepting of those who don't have such strong J tendencies. In other words, you need to consider the P's perspective. The whole deal here is to help people understand each other and work together, and you can't do that if you have closed systems where no one can ever change their level of introversion if they are severely introverted. That's absurd.

Whether you take the cognitive functions perspective or the dichotomies perspective, it remains true that it's all about balance and you reach balance by developing your functions or expanding on the weak areas caused by strong dichotomy preferences.

An INTJ who's all Ni or Ni/Te is not a very balanced person. You do in fact need the influences of the feeling and sensing functions as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts