Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 So/Sp (614 tritype)
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be on my boss's good side. She told me "Once you get your act together, your going to be a great technician. You're loyal, you're honest, you never talk back, you never call in, and you're always looking to improve." I'm not sure, though, since she did thow in "get your act together." I sense she likes me as a person, and that's fine, but I am seeking a professional admiration, as well. I want to shock and awe, and really drive home the point I am indispensable, competent, and somebody she can count on. I've asked here and there for training to show my continued interest, but I want to limit how much feedback I ask for from my boss for fear of appearing weak or insecure, which I honestly am on some level. Above all else, I want to do things the right way and on my own. The only people whose opinions I care about are my pharmacy's head pharmacist, my pharmacy's assistant pharmacist, my pharmacy's head technician, my district manager, and the head tech of the district. While allying myself with my colleagues at the same level in the chain of command as myself is also important, as they will support me in my upward trajectory, I know in my efforts to win my superiors' trust, I may need to break a few eggs. Please help me brainstorm additional ways to embody the ideal pharmacy technician and loyal employee. I need to learn all the parts of these social and computer systems which form this microcosm I wish to master and find refuge in. So many things that could go wrong, I know, but I must press on. My security depends on it.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
...How long have you been working as a pharmacy technician?

This would give us more context as to what she means by "Once you get your act together" ?? Or do you not know either?

Are you failing to meet standards in some way? Are they telling you where you are not performing best? Or are you simply somewhat "fresh" to the field?

That information would be helpful.

If you are somewhat of a spring chicken, she likely just meant "Once you've gained lots of experience, you're going to be a great technician.", which would have been a better phrase to use. Both in accuracy and social tact.

She likely wasn't realizing how negatively "Once you get your act together" could be interpreted by you and was speaking off-the-cuff.

Best job advice: Do not wind yourself up.

Reactions: Magic Qwan

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
"Once you get your act together, "

for fear of appearing weak or insecure,

My security depends on it.
Going to just toss a few things out there for you. The second point is most likely what she is referring to in the first one. It's probably nothing to do with your on the job performance and everything to do with the general vibe she gets from you. Getting your act together is normally in relation to becoming focused, settled and secure.

Possibly by seeing this job less as 'your security' in life and more as something you do to get money. If you try hard to win over your coworkers it will have the opposite effect. Relax, focus on your job, have jokes with your coworkers and focus less on what your boss thinks about you. The truth is, unless you are creating a bunch of problems for her, she is probably not thinking about you at all. Flying under the radar is the most secure place to be.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to just toss a few things out there for you. The second point is most likely what she is referring to in the first one. It's probably nothing to do with your on the job performance and everything to do with the general vibe she gets from you. Getting your act together is normally in relation to becoming focused, settled and secure.

Possibly by seeing this job less as 'your security' in life and more as something you do to get money. If you try hard to win over your coworkers it will have the opposite effect. Relax, focus on your job, have jokes with your coworkers and focus less on what your boss thinks about you. The truth is, unless you are creating a bunch of problems for her, she is probably not thinking about you at all. Flying under the radar is the most secure place to be.
Ok. I've dealt with ADHD and Anxiety disorder, so I am pretty high-strung at work trying not to overlook anything. I lost my first technician job, and I've been really...ok, your right that I might need to bump up my anxiety meds a bit. Thank you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...How long have you been working as a pharmacy technician?

This would give us more context as to what she means by "Once you get your act together" ?? Or do you not know either?

Are you failing to meet standards in some way? Are they telling you where you are not performing best? Or are you simply somewhat "fresh" to the field?

That information would be helpful.

If you are somewhat of a spring chicken, she likely just meant "Once you've gained lots of experience, you're going to be a great technician.", which would have been a better phrase to use. Both in accuracy and social tact.

She likely wasn't realizing how negatively "Once you get your act together" could be interpreted by you and was speaking off-the-cuff.

I started in the field 5 months ago, but I only transferred to this store about 3 weeks ago, since the first store wasn't busy enough, and since all the jobs I hadn't learned in those 5 months were taken over and complete when I started my shift. I transferred because of the opportunity for more hours and since I was promised a raise once I transferred, due to the fact I did this side certificate while I was at the first store and should have gotten a raise there back in February. The first store said things like 'you're a tad on the slow side,' and 'you talk too much to customers,' and 'you're too quiet with old people,' and saying you were supposed to write for 40 milliliters, and you put 4.' I tried fixing these things, but they kept popping up, and it got awkward when it was slow and it was just me and the boss, since it felt like all the pressure was on me to perform. I worked for 1 month at another company a long time before that store, but was fired due to 'repeated mistakes.' I promised myself never again. This new store feels better, but anxiety and fear are creeping in here, as well, as I've made several embarrassing mistakes and made things worse on a couple of occasions trying to fix them. I just nervously laugh it off, saying 'Well, now I know not to do that...'

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
@Magic Qwan

Sounds stressful. Good for you for being so persistent in your career and staying positive. You're just going to become more and more competent with time.

Reactions: Magic Qwan

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to try to swap to a new ADHD med. The last one was hurting my heart. Going to be a rough next few weeks while I slowly up the dose.

In the meantime, how do I get less...serious? It's hard for me to laugh at jokes or make jokes, and I'm never really at ease.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You sound a LOT like me and what I'm going through right now in my recent job (coming from being an office assistant for an inspector in one town, to a new inspector in a different town). I pretty much got the job because I had background in a similar department, but I was too excited for the first several weeks and tried too hard to impress people by giving off the impression that I can pick this up fast and start helping the public and show off my knowledge; In the process I neglected the little things - being a fly on the wall, observing, handling the schedule - and came off too anxious. (Like you, I have issues with ADD and anxiety, so at times I compulsively double check my tasks and occasionally freeze when insecure about how to do something.)

My boss has told me on more than one occasion, don't try to impress everyone, but at the same time, earn people's respect.

Like you, I'm used to different kind of nitpickings from my previous job and am trying to let go of those hang ups for this new context. In the previous town, people made a big deal if you didn't greet and exit properly ("Good morning, how are you?", "Have a good day", and saying please, excuse me and thank you were expected in every, single, interaction.) In this town, people will find you STRANGE if you judge someone by that.

It's probably nothing to do with your on the job performance and everything to do with the general vibe she gets from you. Getting your act together is normally in relation to becoming focused, settled and secure.

If I could like/thumbs up these posts ten times over, I would; I've been told that I'm not doing a bad job and that my performance isn't the issue, it's personality. Which I'm working on changing, but it's tough when I've been at the previous place for almost 2 years vs. almost 2 months over here.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You sound a LOT like me and what I'm going through right now in my recent job (coming from being an office assistant for an inspector in one town, to a new inspector in a different town). I pretty much got the job because I had background in a similar department, but I was too excited for the first several weeks and tried too hard to impress people by giving off the impression that I can pick this up fast and start helping the public and show off my knowledge; In the process I neglected the little things - being a fly on the wall, observing, handling the schedule - and came off too anxious. (Like you, I have issues with ADD and anxiety, so at times I compulsively double check my tasks and occasionally freeze when insecure about how to do something.)

My boss has told me on more than one occasion, don't try to impress everyone, but at the same time, earn people's respect.

Like you, I'm used to different kind of nitpickings from my previous job and am trying to let go of those hang ups for this new context. In the previous town, people made a big deal if you didn't greet and exit properly ("Good morning, how are you?", "Have a good day", and saying please, excuse me and thank you were expected in every, single, interaction.) In this town, people will find you STRANGE if you judge someone by that.

If I could like/thumbs up these posts ten times over, I would; I've been told that I'm not doing a bad job and that my performance isn't the issue, it's personality. Which I'm working on changing, but it's tough when I've been at the previous place for almost 2 years vs. almost 2 months over here.
Wow...it's so nice to know I have somebody who understands what I'm going through. I think humor and relaxing are going to be hard for me, as I'm quite used to needing to be hyper-alert for things to go wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts