Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!
I have really bad social anxiety and I want to go to a therapist.
The problem s that I'm 17 years old so I have to tell my parents. I have no idea how to tell them.
Do you have any tipps on how to make this easier??

Thanks

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Hi :)
My initial response was well, just go to them and say "i'd like to go to therapy to address my social anxiety", which begs the question, what exactly is it that makes this hard for you? is it because you think they'll be surprised, disappointed, won't understand, etc?

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's rough, know how that goes. Glad you're seeking help though. I dreaded having to tell my family. Not sure what exactly makes it difficult for you though (e.g. are you socially anxious with them, or worried they're unreceptive to mental illness, or afraid of being that vulnerable, etc?) so I can't offer anything specific to your situation other than my possibly similar experience.

I'm severely socially anxious as well as avoidant of emotional openness. Because of that and other things I was set on keeping it to myself and living with it. I only told them when messy circumstances made it the least painful course. Sought out counseling on my own first (since I'm in university and an adult) and then emailed my mom about it instead of calling or texting.

That helped a lot since it allowed me to (a) take my time explaining without the pressure of direct conversation and (b) frame it along less painful lines, e.g. by sending resources on social anxiety in the email so I wouldn't have to describe it as much, and I could maintain a slight "clinical detachment" to avoid describing it through my own experience.

(Avoiding painful situations is part of the whole problem with social anxiety, so I'm not recommending sliding out of whatever you can. But there are corners you can cut to make things more manageable, which is good. That's the basic structure of exposure therapy for SA, recovery in general, and any long, important project - small steps.)

Of course, she called shortly after. There's no getting around those painful conversations in recovery. But that at least prefaced the conversation. Bringing up my treatment in the same message shortened the work by carrying the conversation right to its logical end as it began: focusing on getting better. You can look into self-help strategies and search for therapists in your area through Psychology Today by specialty, insurance, etc. to start. Having those resources or the specific therapist(s) you're interested in at hand can make the process much smoother.

Writing a paper note and leaving it somewhere for whoever you need to talk to can also work. Anything detached that allows you some space to explain on your own terms first. That can include just rehearsing everything you want to mention if you want to start face-to-face, too.

Have spent some time researching social anxiety to better understand my experience, so feel free to ask about anything else with SA and therapy. Good luck, and take care!

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,463 Posts
Hey Guys!
I have really bad social anxiety and I want to go to a therapist.
The problem s that I'm 17 years old so I have to tell my parents. I have no idea how to tell them.
Do you have any tipps on how to make this easier??

Thanks
I was your age when I had major depression and some social anxiety and I lied to them and told them I need career counseling :p
after the therapist diagnosed me I told them about the depression

I couldn't deal with their doubts if I'd told them the truth before going and looking back it was the correct way to handle it for me, for sure

I also got severe social anxiety in the following years and it was really hard to explain it to them. It didn't help that they were quite older than me and their generation (in my country) shunned psychology. Most of all they wanted me to be well so in their [hopeful] way they doubted my psychological state which wasn't good for me.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Address them about it, I'm sure they'll give concern to your social anxiety and would want to help.

Don't worry I suffer a bit from social anxiety as well!

·
Spam-I-am
13,657 Posts
just say ''mum, papa, due to your lack of parenting skills I now need therapy''

all joking aside does your school have counselors
if so go to them, they will guide you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts