Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's freaking hilarious that when I actually wanted a boyfriend, there were none to be found. Now that I've decided that my future seems less complicated without a man, they keep lining up. There's this guy, he's really nice and I only kinda like him, like I would rather just remain friends for now and I've told him this, but he hasn't gotten it yet. How do tell him to leave me alone, cause it's starting to piss me off, I dont want to be a bitch.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Certainly been in your shoes far too many times, but obviously from the male perspective instead.
From my interpretation, I think they have such a high level of attraction to 'us' (for whatever reason) that they subconsciously raise us to ridiculous heights in terms of status in their eyes. Sometimes, I think that when certain people are rejected, they feel like they need to re-validate themselves to the people they respect so much.

I have straight up told women that we had zero romantic potential, I've said it firmly and they always ask why. First I'll beat around the bush, but they'll always push and once I'm aggravated enough, I will lay down the thunder. You would think they'd just go "whatever, fuck you then" or something to that effect, but nooooo.

Anyways,
I have been nice, but firm -- no luck.
I have been rude and even offensive -- no luck.
Hell, I've even half heartedly trash myself for a bit saying they can find better and give them a spiel about never settling for 2nd best -- no luck.

Next step for me is just acting completely disinterested / unresponsive. Usually this works the best because they get "bored" of you and decide to search for someone else to latch onto.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
in the past I've tried to make myself seem like a total bastard just so I don't have to go through the whole 'let someone down' process. Or avoiding/evading the person and coming up with lame excuses why I can't do stuff with them which will seem like lame excuses. Some people just don't take a hint do they... It seems whatever you do, the opposite effect of what you want happens.

In all seriousness, I've found that what works on me (from a girl perspective) is reinforcing the 'friend' role. Ie. using the word 'friend/mates' a lot. That's how I get a hint. Of course then I wonder about those situations where people start off being friends and become more, but most of the time yeah, I'd take the hint.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Learned from my INTP best friend: be clear about not being interested, make sure you are honest on the reasons (I know -- not easy!), make sure the message is understood and stick by what you said even if your heart is breaking when the person is sad / lonely.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I would pull said person to the side and let him know in private. That way, you're telling them with respect, and also, out of respect, I think the person would be less likely to act out of line and will eventually get over it.

If it persists...I'd be progressively cold and blunt to him...worst case scenario, I'd drop him as a friend.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Depends on who it is.

When it comes to friends, don't tell me you don't have a 'rating system' in your heart :crazy: Isn't that an INFP thing? Just kidding, just kidding.. *Looks around so that no one will kill her* Maybe it's just me :crazy:

If it was a friend who wasn't that important, he was being annoying or douchebag-ish, frankly I would cut him off cold. (Very unINFP like I know)

However if it was a friend I cared about a lot, damn that would be tricky :frustrating:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think it's freaking hilarious that when I actually wanted a boyfriend, there were none to be found. Now that I've decided that my future seems less complicated without a man, they keep lining up. There's this guy, he's really nice and I only kinda like him, like I would rather just remain friends for now and I've told him this, but he hasn't gotten it yet. How do tell him to leave me alone, cause it's starting to piss me off, I dont want to be a bitch.
I think you know that deep down men and women can rarely be 'just friends'
Best approach is to to totally disconnect. SO what if he thinks you're bitch?Realistically you're unlikely to see him again

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think the problem is if he really does like you, and you've said that you'd rather remain friends for now maybe he's clinging onto a hope that someday you'll change your mind.

You might just have to be more direct, saying as much that you don't see anything beyond a friendship ever happening and that there is nothing he can do to change that. Something tells me you've probably already tried that as well though :p

·
Registered
251 Posts
What Lad said is exactly my experience with this. It's really frustrating, and no matter what, even if you do act like a crazy bitch to them, some guys just won't get it!

So, all I can really suggest is that you just let him know you aren't interested, in whatever way seems appropriate. If he comes on to you, you should reject him and be firm about it (that doesn't mean you have to be mean, just let him know you aren't interested in anyone right now). I used to tell everyone that I was asexual, and that got rid of some potential stalk-- uh, romantic interests, but definitely not all of them. It is a point that's difficult for them to argue with, though a lot of them really tried.

Anyhow, I hope it works out! I definitely know how frustrating and annoying it can be, especially when the guy is someone you'd like to have as a platonic friend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts