Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start with some of the things I do, and people, well you just add to the list please :)

Also, for those of you who are emotional people, then how do you deal with more logical and emotionless people?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I'd reply with my usual ''They don't'' but I'll give this one a try

ultimately I think it depends on what kind of emotional person you're dealing with:

totally unrational: refer to bold

semi-rational: either learn to swallow some salt water from time to time if the person is worth it, or refer to bold

rational(I know, oxymoron): study them closely, find their triggers, and if you feel you can't give any advice, just listen to them and try to weather the storm, most will respect you for listening to them even if you don't necessarily give them advice, if they don't, refer to bold.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Become confused, throw hands up in defeat, walk away.

Naw, just kidding. To be honest, I grew up surrounded by tons of feelers and very emotional types, so I sort of learned to cope. A lot of times I still don't understand peoples' emotions, so I sort of... imitate what is the "socially acceptable" reaction. It feels totally fake, but it placates people.

When I have my own Fe-fueled crazy outbursts, I do what I said in the first line :wink:

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
It depends on who is being emotional and the reason(s).

If they are upset over something that is a legitimate concern, then I try to listen and offer advice.

If they don't calm down, consider my advice, and engage in a constructive discussion about the issue, then I usually get frustrated and give up, and tell them that they can "come back when <you> are calm and rational".

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It depends on who is being emotional and the reason(s).

If they are upset over something that is a legitimate concern, then I try to listen and offer advice.
I agree with this. My mother is very emotional, and I have learned to listen well and be supportive; I don't like seeing her sad.

If it is someone I do not know well, then I avoid them like the plague usually.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
It varies drastically depending on who it is.

Someone I don't care about: look at them with a blank expression until they are done talking.

Someone I do care about: look at them with a thoughtful expression until they are done talking.

·
Registered
817 Posts
If they expect me to reciprocate I tell them I'm phlegmatic and poor with personal issues but will listen anyway. It's the best I can do.

·
Registered
657 Posts
when it comes to the logical, emotionless I hardly treat them any different then any other person.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I try to put myself in the situation and think about how I'd feel, and then try to give advice accordingly. Needless to say... it really isn't always the best advice because what placates me and what placates an ESFJ or someone are entirely different.

If I know the person well, I can try to give more personalised advice. People only tend to come to me for advice if a) I've been through the situation before, or a similar one; or b) They don't really have anyone else to go to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really enjoy emotional people, mostly because I don't understand them right away. I need to analyze them, and because of this I often end up as some sort of advisor for them. They actually listen to my thinking based solutions, and ask me for help about pretty much anything. The only problem is, they usually "fall in love" with me for this particular reason...

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
How do INTP's deal with emotional people?

Im pretty good at handling them, listen to their full story, see if there is a desire for advice or just a shoulder to cry on. If they need advice, I present some options on how they could handle the matter. And if they need a shoulder, well, I don't mind that either.

Eitherway, Im pretty good in being sympathetic, grew up with lots of F's so I sort of know how to deal with them. And knowing the secrets of most of my accuintances/friends, I find myself in a favourable position of *Insert dark thought here*

Reactions: camus11

·
Registered
569 Posts
If the emotional people are simply being stupid, I avoid them.

If the emotional people are justifiably emotional, I just sit by and awkwardly say something that I think they will want to hear.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It depends on the type of emotion displayed, and from what relationship role it comes from. If it's from my SO, I'd rather you show me emotion via physical affection such as holding my hand, or kissing me, etc, with an occasional verbal expression every now and then.

If it comes from a stranger, and you touch me, I'm going to freak out because you totally just violated my personal bubble.

If the expression is verbal, and from a family member or something, chances are I've heard all of your drama before, so I'll just roll my eyes and yet again offer you some logical advice, that I know you won't consider.

If the verbal expression is from a stranger, I'm going to think you are super weird for spilling your guts to me, I'm a stranger to you, what the hell are you doing dude? Yeah.

On a more generalized scale however, I just avoid emotional people, because I don't want to deal with them. It drains me so fast it's unreal. I'm not equipped to deal with those kinds of things. Give me several tall and stiff drinks, and a chance to become my drunken ESFX alter-ego first, before you start to cry on my shoulder.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I hand them a cup of coffee and a twizzler and tell them to drink up and chew until their heart's desire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My close cousin is an ISFJ, so there isn't a day that goes by where she doesn't call me crying over things such as her "anxiety", how she didn't get her way, or "boy problems". I usually approach it objectively, and make sure i tell her beforehand "I'm not trying to be rude or offensive when i say this but....". She's used to it now. I think she values what i have to say, but i do think she wishes sometimes i would simply tell her she has every right to feel the way she does and cry along with her about her frivolous issues. I love her regardless.. But yes..ahem.. When it comes to emotional people it really does depend on who, and what the issue is in the first place. If the emotions are justifiable i try and give useful advice and i always listen out of respect. If the person is just being completely irrational i tell them so.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I have a rule about my own boundaries, and how much of an emotional outpour I'm willing to listen to/help with. Firstly, whether its a friend or a stranger, if someone approaches me for help, I will give them help if it in no way harms me. If it harms the helper, then what good am I to help at all. For example, a person is having a crisis, but listening would make me late for work. I'm not losing my job over it. But, if I have nowhere important to go, I will listen, and help. If that person is abusing our friendship however, and just dumping on me all the time, I no longer feel obligated. They are -using- me.

The reason strangers are not excluded, is because I see it like this: not everyone in the world is going to use me as a help desk, but if an issue happens to fall in my lap at the time, I see it as simply a task or duty given by the universe, that happened to fall upon me. And thats totally cool. Its not going to happen -all- the time. And if people were kind enough to just help out when it happens to come their way..

And I do give great advice a lot. I can remain detached and logical, and form a method for them to work out their problems. I'm also pretty good at comforting people, granted not always, but it happens.

But for people who don't want actual help, and just want someone to dump on, I can't really handle the emotional transference thats involved in that situation. I don't want their icky energy when nothing good is even going to come out of it, when they don't even want to hear how to fix the damn problem.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I try my best to shut up, listen, and not argue.

Then afterwards I tend to change the subject after a minute of silence >.>

1 - 20 of 34 Posts