Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe somebody else already asked the same question, but whatever.
I was curious about this since i've noticed how Si is often referred to (overly simplifying, obviously) as the function of memories (as well as all those other thing commonly associated with it such as tradition, method etc). The only time i've heard someone say something about this topic was in a video (can't find it anymore), the speaker was a Ni dominant who stated that if a Ni-Se user is good at memorizing things, he can reacreate very precisely every single detail of an event of his/her past but won't feel, by doing this, the same feelings felt in that very moment, and that in order to remember how exactly the mood and vibe were like at the time, he/she must reconstruct them logically. I wasn't quite sure what to think about it, but maybe it's just because my Si is filtered through Fi and for this reason it comes natural to me to feel again what i felt in the occurrence i'm thinking about.
What do you think of that guy's statement?

·
Registered
648 Posts
the way I see it is Ni/Se has memories but only recalls the objective sensory details of it and the subjective meaning of it.

From what I see Si users when they describe something from their past it usually comes from a very personalized take on their senses. When they recount a memory it comes from a very "I" point of view. Si says "I remember it was so hot that day I was sweating like crazy", "the music was way too low, they should've turned it up", "the marble floor was cold but I never seen a floor so shiny"

Where as me as an Ni/Se user I can describe the same situation but instead it's a much more detached take on the sensory details.

Se says "I remember it was hot outside" "the music was low and I remember people complaining about it", "the marble floor looked pretty cool"

An Ni user would say "the marble floor screamed wealth to me" - subjective and devoid of sensory information

Ni and Si users both make decisions based on memory, but Si remembers how their memories affected them on a sensory level, Ni remembers how their memories affected them in an abstract way.

Si says i'm never gonna forget to turn off the stove again because I can still remember to this day the pain and how bad it felt when I burned my hand, Ni says i'm never doing that again because it was a dangerous action and I need to be more cautious.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I remember things in subjective moods and feelings, with objective sensory information. If I try to remember something that I experienced any time in my life, I remember short instances/moments of extreme sensory clarity, while the rest of the memory is just blur and haze (no longer sensory memory, rather it just turns into brain memory where I have it "logically" placed). Certain memories have a slight filter on them, some sad memories seem to be dark and have a very slight blue/violet color tone to them, while some happy memories have a white sort-of glow to them (usually childhood memories). So in response to the Ni-Se speaker, I would consider him wrong. I can easily recreate the emotion/feeling/mood of a memory within myself, but I won't really be feeling it in the "now" moment, Ill be feeling it through the memory and my mind will disassociate from the now. Ni/Se = Clear present sensory information, hazy abstract thoughts/feelings of the past. Si/Ne = abstract present information processing, clear and detailed sensory past. I got that from another thread here on PerC not too long ago, and many agreed with it. I would say the speaker you were listening to was mistyped.

Reactions: 1Q84head

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Si/Ne-users tend to have very specific memories in my experience, retaining a great wealth of detail to form the narrative of their memories. As an Ni-dom, my memories tend to be retained in the form of what meaning I inferred from them along with the minimum of detail that allows me to make sense of them as real-world events.

Si-doms will usually ask me for specifics of who said what when I communicate past experiences, which is hard for me since I don't really think of my memories in that fashion. I know what I understood to be the broader meaning of the event, but it is hard to furnish specifics. This is especially difficult to handle when I remember finding something online and I want to find it again, but I don't retain enough detail of the event to do that.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Se seems to be very episodic and impressionistic in the way it experiences things. I think it has to do with the way Ni abstracts everything and already filters what information might or might not be important. It might also be that Se is more about acting than observing, while Si is observing more passively and keeps a complete view of all the information.

It's also interesting when you look at how people learn. Si-doms like to get all the information as is (usually from a book), Ni-doms like to get an abstraction of the information (usually from a diagram), Se-doms like to get the information by interacting with it in the physical world (usually from a interacting with physical objects) and Ne-doms like to brainstorm possibilities and gradually discover which ones are more likely to be true (usually from interacting with other people).
There's loads of room for interpretation there (and expansion, since I said nothing about the judging functions at all), but I think the bottom line is that as people interact in different ways with information, they also tend to remember different aspects of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts