Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi NF forum searchers,

I chose this thread in particular because of the question- is the intuitive mind predisposed to seeking out only abstract experiences?

Not to say that intuitives are all fully intuitive and therefore must seek out only the intellectual, theoretical part of life but something I've recognized is that sensors are more attracted to fashion and aesthetics then than of the intuitive counterpart. Seems to be more in their realm at least.

Sure I've come across an ISFP or the like which didn't attend to their looks so much the most being on a special occasion. However, as a person who has scored INFP on most tests, I can say as an INFP I have never done my makeup or nails or eyebrows or overdressed even for special occasions (unless it's for something like a job interview in which case the most ill do is foundation or something) However to my intuitive brothers, they find that I do attend to my looks in that I worry how I look, change constantly when deciding what to wear and take interest in clothes and hair and this makes them question if I am truly a sensor or intuitive. (Ps. Know that sensing and intuitive is more about the way you think than just whether or not you like clothes but whilst I am very open minded and do enjoy theory and the surreal the most I'll seek it out is at a visit to the bookstore or library otherwise I'm just in constant movie/tv marathon mode. I'm not hands on at all though and lack common sense. Not being under confident or modest just plain truth)

But I was thinking to myself, I'm sure there are loads of NFS out there who also care about how they look? whether it's linked to identity or if they're just plain self conscious, is it a normal thing for NF girls just as much as SF?

Or basically 2 questions:

1. How do you attend to your looks as an NF? (Makeup, eyebrows,hair styles, etc?)
2. Do you feel guilty for doing it? Like you're going against your values?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I've pretty consistently never liked doing makeup/hair/eyebrows/nails. My mom would always have to make me to wear makeup atleast for special occasions, nag me to get a new haircut, and force me to tweeze my eyebrows. I especially hate doing eyebrows cause it friggin hurts!

It seems the older I get, the less fucks I give about my appearance and what other people think of me.

I don't wear any makeup, usually not even for special occasions anymore. I trim/pick at/bite my nails constantly to keep them very short (for practical reasons), my hair is always long, I have poor sense for fashion, and I usually wait til my eyebrows get really bad before plucking. I don't think so much that it all goes against my values, just that its tedious and annoying to do these things, so I avoid it. I did used to hate it because it was all too "girly", though.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Is this really an exclusively female question though? ;3

Ne shows it's way practically all the time and some of that is through experimenting with fashion. I admit I neglect my looks at times... Let my hair dye wash out, neglect skin care and get spots... But I love dressing up. Sometimes as a means of trying on different personas.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
1. How do you attend to your looks as an NF? (Makeup, eyebrows,hair styles, etc?)

I moderately pay attention to my looks. I wear a bit of makeup, more or less depending on what I'm wearing. I have thick ass eyebrows that I pluck about once a week. My hair grows so fast that there's no point in getting them waxed.

I have very long hair, but I take good care of it, so all I really do in the morning is brush it. I also paint my nails once a week because I like changing colors, but I don't get manicures/pedicures because they're expensive and I get sick of a color quickly. I hate pedicures because I hate people touching my feet! Plus I always wear shoes instead of sandals unless it's really fucking hot out, and I live in Northern Wisconsin, so that doesn't happen often.

Kind of. What's most annoying is that I feel compelled to remove my natural body hair -- armpits, legs, etc. It's expensive and timely and I feel that it distorts women's natural bodies, especially the really new expectation among some American dudes that women shave off all of their pubes. WUT??? They're there for a reason. Ugh.

·
Registered
618 Posts
----As far as make-up, I wear a bit of foundation/powder, mascara, and some natural blush. If I'm feeling extra wild, I'll toss on some eye shadow and lip gloss, maybe some lipstick if I'm going out. I don't have my eyebrows waxed, rarely I will pluck a stray hair. My hairstyle is straight, long locks. I dye it only to hide the silvers, lol. I don't paint my fingernails, but I will paint my toenails in the summer. I'm a 36 year old woman and my make-up/hair routine has been the same since I was a teenager.

-------The only time I feel guilty is when I have to spend money on it. I will put off dying my hair to the point where my roots are a couple of inches long, just because I dislike spending money on myself. I also greatly dislike buying make-up because it's so darn expensive. I make what I do buy last as long as possible.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've thought about this a lot! It seems like Sensors do their makeup more than Intuitives because they're more in tune with their surroundings so they have to accommodate themselves with what's around them.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
This is a great thread.
I've rarely done make up in my entire life and I dont do my eyebrows because it hurts so much! Wearing make-up kinda feels wrong to me, like I am betraying myself even though I dont have anything against it. I don't have a problem with others wearing it either. I'm sure it seems self-righteous and condescending but I never mean it to be that way. As a result, Most people think that I am really confident that I don't need make up, but in reality, I am super self conscious and insecure about my face. I understand why people wear makeup to feel better about themselves and be more confident. I hope you all understand what I mean when I say that I would rather feel ugly and natural than feel pretty but for it to make me feel false. Not saying that make-up makes people fake. It's just that it feels that way to me personally.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
I want to upload my photo here only after I dress to the nines and have a friend do makeup (I HATE MAKEUP IM DOING THIS FOR YOU LOSERS ON THIS SITE :cool:)

Seriously, I would care but then I'm like nah..

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't wear make up or do anything special with my hair, and yet I do feel that I care very much about how I look. I can't help it; I want to be satisfied with what I see in the mirror. But i still feel that I look distinctly different from sensor girls my age... I don't know why and I don't intend to, I just do. Intuitives aren't really "deeper" than sensors; we're just as likely to be worried about things that don't really matter, such as looks. The difference is, we experience the world in terms of something's abstract interpretation rather than its actual sensory qualities.

For example, I often find myself worrying about what my hair looks like because I have this abstract idea that certain kinds of hair styles go with certain kinds of identities and I need my hair to reflect just the right identity. But sometimes i miss very obvious sensory aspects of how my hair looks...

Don't think of Intuitives as being "deeper" than sensors if you mean more mature, concerned about more important things, etc. Abstract does not mean more important or more emotionally mature... In fact it's often the opposite

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Falling Foxes

Nah. Not exclusive. Just see it being a bigger problem fr females.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
they find that I do attend to my looks in that I worry how I look, change constantly when deciding what to wear and take interest in clothes and hair and this makes them question if I am truly a sensor or intuitive.
well this describes me really........ i don't follow fashions/trends (have no idea about them) don't wear makeup on a daily basis nor dress up often. however, i choose my clothes wisely based on how good i look in them, i use good products/methods for my hair and skin to look their best, so that i don't *NEED* to make much effort on my looks in terms of using makeup, hair altering thingys. prefer to look my best NATURALLY (ok except my eyebrows which i get waxed lol).. if that makes sense :)

some people think it's obvious i'm a sensor so ya doubt it's anything to with N/S

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

I'm high maintenance compared to most INFPs that I've come across. Then again, I think I'm pretty obsessed with grooming myself than most people, in general.

I get my brows done every week, I get my hair cleansed, trimmed, colored, deep conditioned every 3-4 weeks, I don't have to worry too much about waxing or shaving since I've done laser. I eat clean and drink plenty of water everyday. I'm not really into it as much as me wanting to look perfect but, it's more of an obsession with trying to preserve myself so that I don't end up looking like a dried up prune with cancer by the time I'm 50.

I don't wear make up unless it's going out for an occasion but, I always wear sunscreen no matter what.

As for clothing, I guess I do buy a lot. I'm more into accessories though like heels and handbags. Timeless pieces of jewelry are my thing too.

Not at all. I sometimes wish it were much easier but, beauty is pain and nothing comes without labour. (Laser isn't the most pleasant...and it sucks when I'm pinched for time and my brows haven't been cleaned up...)

·
Banned
1,837 Posts
I honestly don't do much. It's a bit of a paradox though, because I am quite preoccupied with how I look - I just don't attend to my appearance in parallel to my preoccupation because, in a way, I feel like I don't deserve to look nice. I feel kind of fake when I dress up or try to on the days I don't feel like it matches me. It's like a masquerade. Undoubtedly it's my body image influencing me here though. Maybe I'd do more if I felt better about my body.

I'm very much into skin and haircare, 'natural beauty' I suppose. I occasionally get my eyebrows done, but I'm not one for regular, high maintenance beauty routines.

I had a bit of a stupid argument with my mother about the eyebrows once. She said something like it's important for women to look groomed, so I should go do it. It pissed me off to hear it because unless I want nice eyebrows and to look a certain way, I sure as hell am not doing it for other reasons. I guess I just feel like it's no one's business what I look like other than my own. If I choose to look grubby, I'll be grubby (well, not grubby, just not dolled up. Nothing wrong with wearing a t-shirt and pants). Sticking me in nice clothes and makeup when I'm not in the mood is just going to make me feel worse because it just isn't me.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I don't see how attending to one's appearance would go against being an intuitive. That's like saying that liking and making aesthetic art goes against being an intuitive. It doesn't at all. There is an Intuitive relation to aesthetics of course being the main reason Also we all use both Intuition and Sensing functions anyway.

I've always cared a lot about my own appearance and personal style etc. a lot. However, it was something I had to learn to do well rather than it coming naturally to me exactly. It was something I had to work on I guess. And I did always feel like it seems effortless for some others. Basically it's something that is really important to me, I've always been really interested in it and cared about it but it's also something which wasn't exactly a natural skill for me either. But after some time I have developed it and understand it a lot more so am now much better at it. I would really like to stay on top of it more than I do. I always try though and feel best when I'm looking my best. And I've gotten better at actually making it happen how I want it to and developing my own style and knowing what looks good etc. Perhaps with Intuives it can take more of a planning type attitude whereas Sensors maybe it is more just instinctual. Obviosuly a lot of N's could be really into it and great at and a lot of S's not but yeah just they do it different ways. So I'm not saying Inutives can't be naturally good at it anyway. But surely it does just require a different process basically.

I know a lot of NF's who are really into maintaining personal appearance and you can often see it reflected form their functions in the way they do it. For example INFJ's are often very perfectionistic about it (Ni I think), care about being appropriate and looking good to others based on the situation (Fe) and I think Inferior Se makes them more inclined to it as it is a way to use and express their Inferior function. Just for example. Anyway I'm not an NF, I'm an INTP. But most of your question seemed to more about Intuition vs. Sensing so.

·
Registered
623 Posts
This thread is interesting because my INFP mother constantly makes comments about how I don't do things like wear makeup,straighten my hair, or wear things like dresses and heels...She does just about every form of beauty maintenance in the book lol....

I only care for ear rings, headbands, and putting a bit of time into my hair. Anything to avoid attention...

Reactions: Nephilibata

·
Registered
738 Posts

For everyday living, I don't want to spend a lot of time and effort on how I put myself together. I have too much I want to do! I will add something unique to my attire to make an otherwise simple outfit "pop", but it has to be something that doesn't get in my way. I'm about being practical.
I think I'd call my look "simplified beauty". I also don't really follow fashions. I will pull things from any era and wear them if I like them. I've had some articles of clothes for 20 years and I still wear them, mixing them and matching them with new.

I'm highly active, not afraid to get dirty and do hard work. I could never see the point of doing my nails if it was all going to be scratched up within an hour. Same with makeup. If it's just going to get smudged or wear off while I'm working, what's the point? And my hair? It's never liked to stay in anything I've ever tried to do. As long as it's out of my face, I'm usually okay.

Here's where the paradox comes in. If the occasion rises, I can pull out all the stops: hair, makeup, and stunning outfit. If I'm going out to an event, if I'm doing something special with a love interest, if I'm playing a part for a performance, for all these occasions I can, and will, spend a lot of time and effort to get the right look. It's about the delight and pleasure it gives other people; I want to make it special for them.

Whether I'm dressed down or dressing to the nines, it's all in my uniquely "me" way. As long as it never hinders me from what I think is important in life (which is doing things), everything's fine.

I should also note that I'm kind of oblivious to everyone else's fashions sense, too. When I meet someone, I'm not really looking at what they are wearing or how their hair is or what their makeup is like. I'm usually focused on the internal person. I'm so absorbed in figuring out what makes them tick that I couldn't tell you much about the exterior afterward.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Makeup- I wear makeup pretty much every day. Just the basics: primer and foundation, mascara, blush. Usually takes about 5 minutes. On weekends, special occasions, and when I just feel like it, I wear more.
Eyebrows- I started plucking my eyebrows at a young age, so they don't really grow back. I just get the occasional stray hair that I pluck.
Hair styles- I bleach my hair. I tend to leave my regrowth longer than I would like, because it's quite expensive to maintain. I usually bleach every 8 weeks. I keep it pretty well toned and conditioned though. I use a hair mask once a week. I only heat style for special occasions, since I want to keep my hair in good condition, and I have to wear it up for work anyway.
Other- I paint my nails on weekends only, since my work prohibits nail polish. Toenails are always painted, and I can't stand chipped polish. I exercise a few times a week, but that's not really only for my looks. Sometimes I'm bad and forget to do it though. I eat absolute garbage (should probably change that). I will probably end up getting cosmetic surgery and/or injectables in the future. I know some people are against it, but I figure if something can be improved, and I have the means to do it, why not? I don't really see it as much different than renovating a house, for example. Obviously there are risks, but as long as an informed decision is made, I don't see the issue.

I only feel guilty if I spend money on something (clothes, makeup, etc.) that I will not get a lot of use out of. Otherwise, no.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I try to take care of myself so I don't look sloppy....in public.

At home by my self I look 100% homeless on the brink of a mental break down. But at work I show up looking like I just stepped out of a 2017 Banana Republic ad campaign.

I am wearing the most hideous sweat pants right now with an old t-shirt but my hair and makeup are on point because I was at the office for earlier this morn for a few hrs.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Makeup- I wear makeup pretty much every day. Just the basics: primer and foundation, mascara, blush. Usually takes about 5 minutes. On weekends, special occasions, and when I just feel like it, I wear more.
Eyebrows- I started plucking my eyebrows at a young age, so they don't really grow back. I just get the occasional stray hair that I pluck.
Hair styles- I bleach my hair. I tend to leave my regrowth longer than I would like, because it's quite expensive to maintain. I usually bleach every 8 weeks. I keep it pretty well toned and conditioned though. I use a hair mask once a week. I only heat style for special occasions, since I want to keep my hair in good condition, and I have to wear it up for work anyway.
Other- I paint my nails on weekends only, since my work prohibits nail polish. Toenails are always painted, and I can't stand chipped polish. I exercise a few times a week, but that's not really only for my looks. Sometimes I'm bad and forget to do it though. I eat absolute garbage (should probably change that). I will probably end up getting cosmetic surgery and/or injectables in the future. I know some people are against it, but I figure if something can be improved, and I have the means to do it, why not? I don't really see it as much different than renovating a house, for example. Obviously there are risks, but as long as an informed decision is made, I don't see the issue.

I only feel guilty if I spend money on something (clothes, makeup, etc.) that I will not get a lot of use out of. Otherwise, no.
1. I use a foundation and powder from Laura Mercier that makes my skin look natural and light glow. I on put on a little bit of pink or peach toned blush, and for my eyes I use the lightest colors in the Naked Basics pallete. My eyes: I don't do eye liner, just mascara. I use a brown shadow on the lower lash line. I wear a glossy light colored lipstick or a lipstick from Lancome called "Pink To The Club" which is almost my natural lip color except it has little flects of gold glitter in it that reflect light so it's sparkly.
Hair: I only wash it once a week and use dry shampoo instead. My hair is all the way down to the top of my butt and it takes a long time to blow dry so thank God for dry shampoo. I have 3 hair styles : straight with flat iron, loose glam curls with a special long barrel 2" curling iron, or sexy mermaid waves by letting it air dry. I usually wear it straight but it depends on what I'm feeling, I like to mix it up. I love the look of a high ponytail but I don't do it very often because it hurts to that with super long thick hair.
For skincare I use Prevage serum, Clairins facewash, and a cheap cream by Ponds. I Treseme shampoo/conditioner, protein filler spray and serum by Purology, and Dove brand dry shampoo.

2. No

1 - 20 of 134 Posts