Personality Cafe banner

241 - 260 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am an INTP woman and how I'm perceived is a pretty mixed bag. I tend to be pretty polarizing. When I was younger, I was very shy and had a hard time making friends. I was always tom-boyish and never considered very attractive to boys, especially in middle school and high school. I filled up a lot of diaries with my youthful tales of unrequited love. I liked to wear men's clothes and did not find girly things interesting. Most of my friends were also boys. I never related well to girls because I found them 'irrational, even as a second grader. I spent most of high school hiding alone in my room learning to code and building websites. Around 17, I became frustrated with myself and how I interacted with the world. I started really going out of my way to be different. I started putting effort into my appearance and trying harder to force myself to interact with people. My first major job was at a coffee shop and that experience helped me develop better social skills. In my early twenties, I worked as a stripper which forced me not only to take care of my appearance, but made me more aware of my sexuality and capable of starting and maintaining conversations with complete strangers. I would say most people who know me now assume I am an extrovert, but I am not at all, not by a long shot. I have just taught myself to play certain roles in society and switch sex appeal/ lively small talk on and off like a light switch. I get a fair amount of attention from men. I think they tend to find me initially intriguing, especially NTs and NFs, but this usually wears off quickly for S types. I am a great first date and almost every man wants a second one with me, but I know that the majority by the third or fourth will find my novelty fade. I am also an artist, so a lot of men project a fantasy onto me as being the quirky, pretty, cynical artist girl in their own personal indie film, but rarely want to deal with my reality, which includes scathing feminism, a lack of interest in nurturing them or stroking their egos, extreme independence and need for space, and general argumentativeness.

I will say, I am a fake-it-til-I-make-it INTP, but I have a great deal of envy towards the real Extroverts I know, including my ENTJ boyfriend. Him: "But, baby, why can't you just pick up the phone and call that person?" Me: HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
Woah...this is...the most cringeworthy thread I've ever seen on the INTP board. Be careful, men out there. Reading more than three pages of this thread will make you gay. (No fair forwarding it around if you already are.) Same applies for all you lesbians out there. Stop reading now. I only read six pages of it, and by rights should be immune, but even I now need a palate cleanser.

That's self-awareness pudding by the way, @DarkBarlow . You're not the only one who knows where to shop for it.

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
Woah...this is...the most cringeworthy thread I've ever seen on the INTP board. Be careful, men out there. Reading more than three pages of this thread will make you gay. (No fair forwarding it around if you already are.) Same applies for all you lesbians out there. Stop reading now. I only read six pages of it, and by rights should be immune, but even I now need a palate cleanser.

That's self-awareness pudding by the way, @DarkBarlow . You're not the only one who knows where to shop for it.
You do realize that your post is tempting Brer Rabbit with the briar patch. Now I'm going to have to read this thread. :dry:

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
You do realize that your post is tempting Brer Rabbit with the briar patch. Now I'm going to have to read this thread. :dry:
If you do, I'd prescribe conspicuous consumption of pudding to help counteract the effects. But you still will probably notice how amazingly well some guy has trimmed his beard in a way you never did before. Beware.

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
If you do, I'd prescribe conspicuous consumption of pudding to help counteract the effects. But you still will probably notice how amazingly well some guy has trimmed his beard in a way you never did before. Beware.
These well trimmed sissy beards of have just got to stop. They're emasculating. :dry:

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
Says the man who hasn't read the thread yet.
Yeah! :rolleyes: ... I'll get around to it.

All these lumbersexuals moving in and cramping my style. I've been trailing a woolly beard and wearing flannels since before they were a twinkle in their daddy's eye. :dry:

93 Posts
I have an INTP female friend - who is also my only friend - and I love her. I think she's awesome. Great sense of humor, original, intelligent and the only person I can hold a conversation with.

My A level Maths teacher is also a female INTP. Obviously, I don't know whether she's been tested or not, but there are some exceptions when you just KNOW.

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
Says the man who hasn't read the thread yet.
Well, I'm on page 7. Beards, well trimmed or not, haven't made their appearance yet. What INTP women express is what I would expect. It's too bad INTPs are so few and far between. We'd probably find a lot of commonality.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Just curious as to what you found to be so cringe worthy about it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like my life story. haha INTJs seem to love me and SJs find me rude, NFs find me cold, but they seem to like me, too...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know any female INTP online or RL, however from their posts i think they are intelligent, in some aspects more subtle than other types which I like. Can't say much more due to my limited experience with them, IRL they might be too similar to me and could probably be an awkward exchange or encounter.
They are INTPs (the "nerd" type) what the fuck did you expect

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I do tend to lead people on but that is just all part of the test. Whenever somebody tries to initiate flirtation, I always pretend like I'm uninterested even if I actually am. If they give up then I know they do not really like me but if they keep trying I will eventually give in. It has nothing to do with emotions, I just want to be w/ someone who truly likes me.
Could also be someone that likes you but gives up eazly because they dont want to seem creepy?

idk tho

·
Registered
INTP
3,448 Posts
Great thread, thank you! I still want to have a relationship, but I'm getting discouraged after many failures. I'll take some of your adjectives (honest, smart, etc.) and try a new promotion campaign.

Most people think I'm stupid, maybe because I'm quiet. However, a few men (ENTJ, ENFJ, INFP?) recognize my intelligence.

Most of my boyfriends have criticized me for not dressing, acting, or talking like most other women.

Two of them have actually criticized me for not initiating conversations in the car. A car drive is a perfect opportunity to observe people, nature, traffic patterns, architecture.... Why waste it babbling about what to have for dinner? I figure we can talk at home (but then they're usually too busy).

It's hard to meet people, even though I've lived next door to a cafe for 10 years. Sure, everyone has some wise insights or useful info, but to get to that I have to sit through hours of talk about cars, house repairs, etc. So I stay away and am perceived as antisocial.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
So, as a fellow P, I am ENTP, I do enjoy openness and such. And that is exacerbated and driven by E. I find most INTP women I know to be usually amazingly less open and flexible in thought and especially action. I mean they BILL themselves as thinkers, but, their introversion confines them, it being driven by fear. I find a TON of credit to that position and it fits along the lines of immaturity, e.g lack of realization that cognitive functions are linked quite decisively with one of three primal emotions, fear, anger, and desire.

I also find most INTPs, including by happenstance women, find consideration of objective morality hard. That is sad, as objective is what morality is (to me). It takes a lot of thinking and understanding to really get that in the correct way, and again, despite the openness, the fear limits INTPs. Lacking in J, there is a tendency to rationalize rather than actually think. This means a lot of time is spent thinking about excuses for subjective truths that are not truth at all. I used to do that, as its a tendency for ENTPs also, but reality convince me, even in college, as a firm start.

The confidence to stand amid truth is related to anger. In that sense all I functions have a boost. But E has even more of a boost, and of course, this seem like arrogance to many.

I contend that the truth is (truth is objective), that the RIGHT way to be is to be strong or pursue strength in ALL functions, all ways to be human, all virtue. Failing is allowed much more so in the honest attempt, than in the lesser position of verbally and overly rationally attacking making the attempt, and even lesser position of just lazily doing nothing and not trying.

So, P and to some extent I make a person insular and free only within a CHOSEN realm of expression. T should save such a person, and over time might. That is to say, careful observation of OBJECTIVE truth over time is hard to ignore. Love itself is a tyranny and does not accept your opinion on what is GOOD or not.

Sp, regarding maturity, I find many and most INTP women to be insular and defensive, well versed in rationalization defending subjective positions that it would be far healthier for them to criticize. It's actually hilarious considering that is effectively their claim against such things as 'the Patriarchy', 'men', 'objectivity', and anything they can attach to those things. It is awesome though to meet a fellow P in the opposite gender (yes opposite on the foci as an objective truth - e.g. closer to female as I am closer to male) who has matured far enough to first hate the things I say and then inevitably be drawn into the truth and face epiphany after epiphany in a healing process of conversation. That has happened to me with INTP women more than just a handful of times in my life.

It's too bad I go for surly doorslamming INFJs too much. The FJs plage my romantic life but something about that TP-TP thing screams friends only.

241 - 260 of 264 Posts