Personality Cafe banner

261 - 264 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I know an INTP girl and she is kind of like a little sister to me. She is sweet in her own way...yes I said sweet. 🙂 She is a bit odd and at the same time she is pleasant to talk to. She is actually considerate and brings me my favorite drink when she comes over and she is not the first INTP to do this for me! Haha You guys are great about that.

She got me watching some of her shows that she likes and it's really neat to see her light up talking about the characters and stuff.

INTP are very laid back.

That's my perception as an ENFJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lol sorry it's been a while since you've posted this.

That last line you made there holds the answer. Personality is shaped by a combination of genetic predispositions, and cumulative experiences (socialization). Socialization plays a major factor in personality development, but it functions as a "modification" of genetic predisposition. Socialization begins from birth. You cannot separate a person's "core personality type" in any measurable form from the influence of how they have been socialized. You can only measure the differences in personalities between individuals, as you know.

Now, you bring up something interesting based on how you describe your experiences with men and women (and I agree that this is the case with many people in my own experiences). "Social cohesion" was probably an inaccurate extrapolation or choice of wording on my part. Something like "social focus" would probably have been better. Women are simply more attuned to social cues and to being nurturing because that is what has given them evolutionary advantages for being attuned to the needs of their children. I should have noted that the motivations of our sexes can be expressed as double-edged swords in the social realm. Perhaps women are overly attuned to social cues sometimes--I think that's what causes shit to hit the fan a lot of the time between women, as women of course have the need to compete with others as well. Likewise, male competitiveness can express itself in the form of vying for conformity and social cohesion too. I also think that different social environments can ignite the expression of our own genetic sex biases (which of course will be tempered or exacerbated by our individual personalities in addition to it). For example, men become less competitive with each other when good mates and resources are plentiful. Men can potentially spawn unlimited children, theoretically just based on what's biologically possible, while women can still only rear a very limited amount of children at a time comparatively (gestation waiting time), regardless of how plentiful the environment is. Women need to be a little picky about this no matter what, and men don't always need to feel threatened by each other, and these matters are intertwined with our social behaviours (at least they would be according to the primal parts of our minds). It would make sense that women can get more stressed and want more control and domination in social environments, based on outside stress or their personalities. Ultimately men and women can both be equally concerned with "social cohesion", especially in certain environments or as a result of being raised in certain environments or having different personalities, or simply as an expression of their sex-based motivations in different ways. It is really hard to explain, using a one size fits all, the root cause of individuals' behaviours.

Do correct me if there's something I'm not understanding or missing, cuz my Ti sux0rs.

Myth: There is such a thing as a typical male brain and a typical female brain from birth

Fact:
Research has found that only the tiniest gaps, if any, exist between boys’ and girls’ fine motor skills, ability to perform mental rotations, spatial visualisation, mathematical ability, verbal fluency and vocabulary. Under normal conditions, large gaps between boys and girls haven’t been found by scientists studying the typical development of babies. In fact, the overlap between the sexes is so huge that scientists have struggled to find and replicate results that suggest there is any real gap at all.

261 - 264 of 264 Posts