Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exactly like title I'm very curious just how a relationship begins, like what happens in that stage just before being in a relationship. Do you date them and escalates, do you just talk it escalates, do you formally agree to enter a relationship, or do just start hanging someone you like and next thing you know you're a couple? Feel free to describe how your last relationship(s) started.

I'm just extremely curious at the present moment for some reason about this, so please and thank you, haha, =)

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
My method

This is how I do it.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Lol. My daughter literally used to give those notes to boys in elementary school ^^^. I used to find them in her pockets and stuff. It used to crack me up and I was worried she was rather "pushy". But she likes the shy boys so maybe it helped move things along.

For me a relationship starts like this. He asks me on a date. We discuss the next day on the phone if we had fun with each other. If I like him I will give him a second date. This time he might get a kiss but I have to be careful with that. We start dating. I continue dating others and I assume he is too. I try to go slow because of this. After a while, we talk about going exclusive. And usually for me, if I've already started to think about him more than others I'm dating, I'll agree because it's already naturally happening. For some reason I've naturally stopped accepting dates from others. I'm thinking about him more. There is something special about this particular person.

After we've had the talk about going "exclusive" that's pretty much a relationship for me and sex galore ensues.

The above process [1st date to exclusive] takes anywhere from a month to 3 months in my experience.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Mine started a little unconventionally. We began talking about my gf's and my own issues and instantly found ourselves relating to each other in such an extremely fundamental way that we knew there was an almost supernatural connection between us.
The whole romantic stuff came months later but it seems almost as if that was only a formality to confirm that which we already felt and knew from the beginning.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Generally we talk a lot as friends and it just escalates.

I don't care much for "dating" with the intent of maybe forming a relationship....Too much pressure to make a decision if you like somebody or not, when you really have absolutely no idea who they actually are. You can't in just a couple dates. But most people who are specifically looking for a relationship when they date aren't willing to spend that much time dating before a decision is made. Then if you decide that you don't like them, but you still think they're cool as a friend, you have to communicate that and it likely will make things awkward.

Its just much less complicated to make friends and hang out with those friends and if it escalates, then you have a much more comfortable relationship.

·
Banned
1,760 Posts
Me and my girlfriend is a bit of an odd case I suppose...

I'm from Portugal and she's from Germany.

We met over the internet, on a MMO to be precise and became friends. Slowly but surely, things somehow escalated and around 1 year later, we were dating over the internet, chatting on skype and so on.
Move this a bit more and we started meeting in real life, the spark was still there and so we continued to deepen our relationship.
Move this to the second year and we see each other at a steady rhythm until I start looking for a job outside my country. She offered me to move in with her and I accept. This was 3 years ago and now, we moved together to Ireland.
What can I say... sometimes internet relationships do work? :laughing:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Lol. My daughter literally used to give those notes to boys in elementary school ^^^. I used to find them in her pockets and stuff. It used to crack me up and I was worried she was rather "pushy". But she likes the shy boys so maybe it helped move things along.
I like shy guys too, you have to be forward with them! Unfortunately I'm too old to use the note approach. It would make things so much easier.

What usually happens in my relationships is that I start seeing and sleeping with someone intending to have a fling, and I make sure they know those intentions. Then I accidentally fall in love with them, and say something to hint that my feelings have changed (or get drunk and say it outright). Once he gets the hint, or after I sober up, we talk about it for real and are a couple.

Of course right now I'm stuck in relationship limbo due to both of us having crazy life circumstances that make it impossible to commit to anything given that we've only known each other since August. He was living in a hotel then and now has no address, I'm living in the middle of the Indian ocean on an island where he can't get a work visa due to EU regulations. I frequently wonder what this whole relationship thing must feel like to people that stay in the same place for years at a time and don't have to make drastic moves just to see where their relationship goes. At the moment I feel I can't commit, but I'm calling him almost everyday and not dating anyone else because that's what feels right -- it's weird.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
Usually for me- I meet someone, we share deep-conversations. We laugh, hang out, have fun.. enjoy being kids again. Poof, after about 5 dates or so, it's "Will you be my girlfriend" type conversation. Then we are together.

Some of my friends went into relationships assuming that they were just together with their bfs bc they were seeing each other on a consistent basis. I don't know how that works? For me- if it's not verbalized, then I see it as casual dating..

Depends on the couple? I think it doesn't hurt to see where things are at.. If a person isn't sure (about whether or not they want to be in a serious relationship), then that uncertainty (if I were in that situation) would prompt me not to ask, because I wouldn't want to take the relationship further. If we hit it off, and we both feel that connection, then the natural progression is that we talk about where the relationship is at, because neither of us want to let go.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
First relationship: we met in class. Spent a couple of weeks talking and hanging out. It was fun. One day he asks, "sooo, will you be my girlfriend?" I said, "Sure" and bam. That lasted a good two weeks. LOL!

Second relationship: It was a mutual attraction from the start, I think. I flirted with him for about a week, before he finally said, "I like you. Will you be my girlfriend?" Of course, silly. That's why I've been flirting with you for soooo long :wink: haha. It lasted about 5 months. He and I are still friends.

Third relationship: We had been friends for several months. I told him one day that I liked him. I think I caught him off guard with that, but like a day or two later he came back telling me that he liked me too...and asked if I'd be his girlfriend. That lasted about two months. We're still friends.

Fourth relationship: We "met" the summer before I began college. He was already a student at the college I was going to, so we actually met and started talking on a forum thing for my college. He arranged a tour group to show us around campus later that summer, I went, and thought he was cute, nice, etc. I flirted with him a bit while we were walking around, but...he's a bit on the shy side, and there were other people with us, so...yeah. So I decided, after we left from the tour, to send him a text. "So, hey, you're pretty cute ;)" and I got one back from him, "Hehe. Thanks. You're pretty cute yourself... Can I take you out for a coffee or lunch sometime?" And from there, we started hanging out a lot. I don't remember when we actually had the "bf/gf" talk, sometime within the first three weeks... but I do remember how it happened! We were sitting outside my house one night, in his car...he was dropping me off from one of our date nights...and we sat in his car for almost an hour talking, before he finally said something like, "So...are we an item? Like, bf/gf? I've been wondering that for a while now..." haha. :crazy: Yeah, we're still friends too.

Fifth relationship: we met, and after about a week of hanging out and talking, he asked if I'd be his girlfriend. Yeah, why not? I liked him in that moment. :crazy:

As somebody else said, I don't really like the idea of "dating" because there's too much pressure involved. I prefer just hanging out, and letting things progress. As you can see, the majority of my relationships pretty much started on a whim...we had little-to-no "get to know each other" time before starting the relationship. I like it that way... but I also like being friends with someone and letting it progress from there.

Reactions: Quin Sabe
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.