Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do respond to questions like "Tell me about GOD?" "Tell me about love?"

How do you think you respond to these questions when you hear someone ask you?

It really depends for me on who's asking...I may sugar-coat or lie as to not hurt feelings because I don't feel like I can be honest with some people (maybe a lot of people). I may even say, "None of your business". To me these are really personal questions, and I don't want to share usually....or I don't really have a relevant answer.

I get uncomfortable with these kinds of questions to say the least...do you think it has to do with being an SJ?

Reactions: Daniel_James_Maher

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I generally tend to tell them to find someone else to talk to. I don't like starting conversations that come with a high risk of hurting a person's feelings, and things like emotions/politics/religion tend to do that.

Asking me questions like that is like asking me "how much do you want to hurt my feelings today, and how happy will you be cleaning up the emotional mess I leave because of it for the next two weeks?"

·
Registered
677 Posts
Q: Tell me about god?
A: How could I tell you anything about something or someone when I can't confirm or deny its or their existence? Besides, what would you want to know? Either way, I don't think I'm the right one to ask...

Q: Tell me about love?
A: ...You'll have to be more especific. That's a too general and complex question. If you don't have especific doubts, all I can say is that in love (especially "the couple" kind of love), things are great or terrible. There's no middle point. Love is extremist.

I imagine being the one who asks... I would be so "Umm...". :laughing:
I don't get uncomfortable with these questions. I always try to be honest no matter what. Of course I take people's feelings into account, but they're not exactly a priority for me. I'm usually the one who says "You asked. When you ask a question you should prepare yourself for an answer you might dislike. Or do you want me to lie to you?".

·
Registered
408 Posts
Question: tell me about God?

Answer: You tell me first how you see God?

Question: What is love?

Answer: It is what you feel inside of yourself for God, as you understand Him/Her.

Answer 2: It is through self love that true love appears, if you can not love your-self unconditionally, then you really do not love anyone else. My thoughts only.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I learned to answer questions in the other person's voice - repeat their statement -or question - and add a bit of a query to lead them into self exploration. These are two subjects that cannot be debated. In a "debate " about the nature of God between five people - there will be at least 6 different concepts and no agreement between them, Both sides of my family were preachers starting in the mid 1700's, coming to full bloom by 1820.I have seen the most bitter feelings over the subject -
And love. A simple word, does one mean a mother's love, the love of a game, erotic love? and in questioning the (client -in my working days) questioner, he/she comes to an understanding that fits them.

I believe in a secular Gospel based on the life of Jesus. I also believe that Jesus, the Christ, the annointed Son Of God died to release us from the strictures of Law - I am not orthodox, but in "answering" these questions (and they are ultimately connected) the other thinks I believe remarkedly the same as he/she does - because they have defined and refined their own belief.

As a side comment, in choosing a therapist, pick one who will ask probing questions, for you already have the answers - avoid the one who says, in effect, " Now here's what you're gonna do."

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd love for people to pose those questions to me.

Unfortunately, I think I come off as confrontational at times, so I'm usually giving people my opinion before they ask for it.

I love debating the concepts of God and love, but most people aren't looking to debate...they are looking to inform me about their own opinions on God and love. When they realize that I feel their opinions are irrelevant, they aren't likely to bring them up to me again.

...Unless, you are my SO (an INTP) or his group of philosophy nerd friends (two ENTPs). In these groups, we ask these questions and play Devil's advocate until sunrise.

Reactions: Hollow Man

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do you think you respond to these questions when you hear someone ask you? It really depends for me on who's asking...I may sugar-coat or lie as to not hurt feelings because I don't feel like I can be honest with some people (maybe a lot of people). I may even say, "None of your business". To me these are really personal questions, and I don't want to share usually....or I don't really have a relevant answer. I get uncomfortable with these kinds of questions to say the least...do you think it has to do with being an SJ?
I will ask: "What do you really want to know?"

·
Registered
211 Posts
How do you think you respond to these questions when you hear someone ask you?

It really depends for me on who's asking...I may sugar-coat or lie as to not hurt feelings because I don't feel like I can be honest with some people (maybe a lot of people). I may even say, "None of your business". To me these are really personal questions, and I don't want to share usually....or I don't really have a relevant answer.

I get uncomfortable with these kinds of questions to say the least...do you think it has to do with being an SJ?

For the people who know me, they know me better than to ask me questions like that. For the people who don't know me, I'd just say, "Why are you asking me about that?"

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
I wouldn't have an issue with these 2 questions. But, I would most likely give a very direct and simple answer if I wasn't in the mood to debate religion. I really have to be in the mood to sit and talk back and forth about "what if" or I "believe".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts