Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-Lazy reader, read bold statement.

I've noticed that all S-types have this blank expression when you accidentally give a 'rabbit-holish' explanation about the cause of a certain effect whilst the face-value of the given effect indicates otherwise.

I noticed that many S-types distrust iNtuitive information. It's that fraction of silence that disturbs me, is the communication successful?

My experience regarding this is that whatever you've been saying gets either misinterpreted so fucking bad that people use it against you in certain situations(*populist douchebag approaching*hey, you think X is Y right?), shrug it off without altering anything in their system(even if the secondary effects harm you or someone else) or ask the 'what should I do instead?' without paying any attention to the 'why or how' as if it is not relevant.

My only successful venture in this regard is with ESTPs who have wonderful persuasion skills and are competent in extracting necessary information along with other skill-assets making that silence/blank stare moment less painful.
----
How do S-types process information given by an INTP.

----

I don't think that intelligence/IQ or whatever is a ruling factor here, neither should you, as I find that too many (younger) INTPs pride themselves with the illusion that they somehow know it better or that the input of other types, mainly S,F and J types is inferior to their already established mindsets and premises.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I've known very intelligent people of all types. According to the research N types on average have higher IQs, but I'm not sure that means they're more intelligent about some things.

In my experience, S types seem to have a very difficult time "thinking outside the box" and questioning their own biases/assumptions, but a lot of them are very good mechanically. They're usually fun and energetic.

They seem to get very impatient with people who are interested in causal relationships, because they tend to take what they see at face-value.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well, my most frustrating experiences are with my boss, an ISTJ.

After he takes that little pause he just hits me with his Te reasoning, which is on a totally other page than I am, Usually I can pick up where he is going a few sentences later, if he gives me the chance to think about what he says of course, let alone let me respond.

But I think that is more the Ti vs Te problem.

On the s vs N front, yes he also seems to have a problem interpreting intuition, when I hit him with what my intuition is telling me he almost always asks me to get to some facts on it. He doesn't seem to be able (willing?) to fully interpret what I say without holding some little piece of paper with some numbers on it.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Well, my most frustrating experiences are with my boss, an ISTJ.

After he takes that little pause he just hits me with his Te reasoning, which is on a totally other page than I am, Usually I can pick up where he is going a few sentences later, if he gives me the chance to think about what he says of course, let alone let me respond.

But I think that is more the Ti vs Te problem.

On the s vs N front, yes he also seems to have a problem interpreting intuition, when I hit him with what my intuition is telling me he almost always asks me to get to some facts on it. He doesn't seem to be able (willing?) to fully interpret what I say without holding some little piece of paper with some numbers on it.
That is the nature of Te. It wants everything to be quantifiable, and especially in an INTJ, Ne is the scary inferior function. He will instinctively distrust it in others.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Did that message really need to be delivered in image format ?

I couldn't find the detailed message one that looks like a professional menu via google images. My apologies. =(

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I couldn't find the detailed message one that looks like a professional menu via google images. My apologies. =(
Aw shucks, pulling a guilt trip on my ass like dat. I’ll let you off the hook this time, but in return you never use a ****** text message again !

·
Registered
362 Posts
Both my parents are S types, honestly, they have a hard time understanding any concepts or theoretical things I explain to them. They seem to take it literally. I guess they need more straightforward information. Both my parents say from a 1 to 5 scale, they only understand me as much as 2.

They also like it when information delivered to them is popular or normally accepted. They want decent clarification. If it doesn't seem plausible enough to them, they distrust it. For me, they can be hard to persuade at times.

If I was talking to my mom that "Humans once could breathe underwater", my mom would reject it and immediately challenge the idea before accepting it, to see if it really is something to believe or not. Sometimes she'd ask for verified sources.

I dunno, just my parents and two friends I know with S types, it might be different for others.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Generally S type friends will shine me on as I let my mouth run about whatever idea. I can tell that my thought processes are a little to winding for most S types; where they think in a relatively orderly fashion my thoughts catalyze other thoughts and so the product is that I jump back and forth between many different concepts to illustrate one. I sometimes feel guilty for that, because if I weren't the one speaking I imagine I'd find it tiring also. I've had sensor friends tell me that when I talk they zone out... :'(

Sorry. :X

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Generally S type friends will shine me on as I let my mouth run about whatever idea, and not really listen. I can tell that my thought processes are a little to winding for most S types; where they think in a relatively orderly fashion my thoughts catalyze other thoughts and so the product is that I jump back and forth between many different concepts to illustrate one. I sometimes feel guilty for that, because if I weren't the one speaking I imagine I'd find it tiring also. I've had sensor friends tell me that when I talk they zone out... :'(

Sorry. :X
Everyone tells me that, S and N alike. If anyone can comatose a person, it’s me. Perhaps an INTP power ?(probably just me)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Everyone tells me that, S and N alike. If anyone can comatose a person, it’s me. Perhaps an INTP power ?(probably just me)
No, now that you mention it many N types respond this way to me also. They more so seem to understand my thought processes, judging by their responses, but oftentimes I keep my mouth shut because I know no one will want to hear it all. My INFJ father is probably one of the few people who gets my thoughts so completely, and has as many useful counter ideas to pose.

^This is so incredibly true. When I get to talking I start making tons of connections that can even overwhelm me, and if I allow myself to spill them all out, I'll be flapping my gums incessantly for... however long is too long.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
No, now that you mention it many N types respond this way to me also. They more so seem to understand my thought processes, judging by their responses, but oftentimes I keep my mouth shut because I know no one will want to hear it all. My INFJ father is probably one of the few people who gets my thoughts so completely, and has as many useful counter ideas to pose.

^This is so incredibly true. When I get to talking I start making tons of connections that can even overwhelm me, and if I allow myself to spill them all out, I'll be flapping my gums incessantly for... however long is too long.
Nothing wrong with that my good man.
I’ve yet to meet anyone that doesn’t glaze over when I begin the intuitive random walk, but perhaps the links I make aren’t pertinent enough to hold the attention of even the more open-minded sort. I don’t have a very developed sense of practical utility when it comes to thinking, I contemplate any old shit, so few can relate.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
My father who I consider to be ISTJ is actually rather quiet. Every morning at breakfast, I generally comment/rant/talk about something and he just listens. Part of me figures he doesn't care, but he responds and agrees occasionally. While I feel like I am coming across as a nut, many times, it will be part of whatever I have recently been studying with computers and it allows me a chance to solidify what was swirling around in my head with little to no foundation.

·
Banned
649 Posts
My mother is an all-out S-type and she doesn't want to hear any "what-if" scenarios or anything theoretical. I once presented her with this question just to observe her response. It went something like this:

Me: Say there are 2 marbles in a cube and there is an infinite set of those cubes with the 2 marbles. There's an infinite amount of marbles then, right?
Mom: Yeah...
Me: Well what if there is another separate infinite set of cubes and each of those cubes had 5 marbles. Wouldn't that infinite set have more marbles then since each cube in that infinite set had 5 marbles which is more than 2 marbles in each cube of the other infinite set? (The answer is No. Both of the sets have an infinite amount of marbles in their infinite amount of cubes. Neither infinity is on a higher level)
Mom: Ahh-! *closes eyes and puts hands up* I don't wanna hear any of this. This is too complex. So confusing.
Me: No no no! Listen to me! I'll try to explain it better!
Mom: No, that's okay. I'm not interested in any of that stuff.
Me: *sigh* (just as expected...) :rolleyes:

Apparently, any discussion that doesn't have practical value to her isn't worth it. I know this so I usually keep most of my thoughts quiet around her. Which stinks because I'll never get a chance to talk about what I really want to talk about with her. I don't think she'll ever understand my interest in theory or discussion about things that would never happen.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Found it:

My Google skills are superior.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I can't speak for all Ss, but I can speak adequately for myself.

I've noticed that what counts as evidence for intuitives looks more like hypothesis to me. It helps to relate something about it with a concept I am already familiar with. Note something about it. For me, ideas are built up on details. I relate ideas based on shared parts. I can build up my own conclusions off of those.

It's quite easy to get me shooting my mouth off about theory, actually.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts