Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my personal experience, I only experience true stress when an extremely intense stress factor hits me. Usually I can bottle it up and shove it to the recesses of my mind... And then forget about it.

But let's say you're so stressed that this is impossible. Even when you try to ignore the feeling, it surrounds you and engulfs your thoughts. How do you deal with it? What are your thoughts/actions/etc?

I tend to escape to my bed and think incredibly long and hard about what is bothering me until I have settled/rationalized/figured out the issue to my satisfaction. When I'm lazier, I find I try to distract myself with a good book, indulgent foods, or a TV show.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
I don't really know; this is a hard question to answer since everyone who is a five will have coping mechanisms outside of 'retreating into their mind'.

"But let's say you're so stressed that this is impossible. Even when you try to ignore the feeling, it surrounds you and engulfs your thoughts. How do you deal with it? What are your thoughts/actions/etc?"

Usually I just retreat into my room, and freak out. Even if I look calm on the outside, I'm internally screaming and trying my hardest not to collapse since my poor kitten is usually in the room with me haha. I sometimes call my friend who is premed and she helps me calm down since she's a counselor at a woman's crisis center, and she tends to do a good job of it. Now, the things that caused me concern don't necessarily bother me to the point of losing control then; but they're still there. I just use a mindfulness technique where I place my hand on things I can feel and see and describe it as concretely as possible.

Another thing that comes to mind is when my family is in a total mess (mental illness). I would say I retreat into my room, or I listen carefully to problems they all bring up to fix. It's become a talent. Unfortunately, when it's too much, I engage in self harm.

Frankly, I can be pushed to a breaking point and that takes a lot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't know actually, I think that all depends on what kind of stress we are feeling at the moment. I realised that we are stressing about things, because we don't really know what we can expect from that. Some people may be scared, because they are traveling first time alone via train and they have no experience with that, so they can't plan everything before inside the head, as a 5 type. From my experience that how it works, we are stressing of things, that we don't know and that our head can't defend against that. In my opinion the best way to take control of that stress is just trying analyze what we have to do and don't let our emotions win (especially when someone is 5w4). But honestly it's really hard to describe, you have to put an example of that stress, then it could be easy to find an answer for that question.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
I need to find my padded cell (bed) pronto otherwise I become volcanic with anger. I typically get angry at the people involved in the situation, blaming them for ruining my sense of peace with the world and thrusting me once again into the pit of hell known as my emotional state.

Once comfortably isolated I will reach for sweet things and tea, preferrably in dainty cups with roses painted on them and a faux gilt edge. My bed is a quaint combination of vintage mahogany bedhead and chinoiserie bed clothes bringing to mind the bucolic delights of a country house surrounded by a hoard of vicious alsatians who will rip the arms off anyone that crosses the threshold. Oh sweet, sweet sanity. :th_love:

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
That sounds very type 9ish, no?

·
Registered
47 Posts
With copious amounts of mind altering chemical substances.

Reactions: Jamie.Ether

·
Registered
99 Posts
1. Tell myself I shouldn't be stressed out because it's not a big deal, everyone else copes handily with these kinds of situations all the time and I'm just being a big baby.
2. Intellectualize the problem. Throw tremendous amounts of time into pure information-gathering and strategizing. Lay out plans A, B and also C and D in my head.
3. Become increasingly unable to cope and lean even harder on trying to coolly think things through.
4. Accept that I am in fact suffering and maybe it's not because I'm a big baby. Feel some compassion for myself. Cry.
5. Maybe ask for advice. Maybe let go of what I've been trying to achieve. Maybe keep doing what I'm doing.
6. After months or years, accept that courage, action and/or humble requests for help might actually be required to get out of the situation.
7. Basically survive everything no matter what I do or how convinced I am that I'm weak and incompetent. Endure constant comments from others about how well I seem to be handling everything.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Normally I deal with stress by talking to someone who I can have a trouble shooting as well as inspiring conversation with, like my partner. When, like at the moment, I have lost any contacts due to withdrawal and losing a relationship as a sx/soc5, it seems that the dealing with stress is much harder. I have nobody left to talk with.
My final solution is taking some sheets of paper and go out to the woods alone, crying my guts out and do mind maps, written selfmanagement exercises and write letters to people which I burn afterwards. Dealing with stress is more dealing with emotions that rise to the surface until the calculating mind is back on its place.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If it's business related? I start winging things. Like Ne overload "fuck it, let's just do this and see if it works." Lol. But that's only when things are getting so damn complicated that I feel like my issue is similar to that of a ball of tangled string. You can't explain how you'll untangle it but if you feel around enough you'll manage to untangle that bastard. This is also when I'm at my most impulsive. I get a weird confidence boost in these situations... (because I like to think I'm clever).

If it's relationship/emotional? I become a crybaby who balls herself up in blanket burritos and only drinks water and eats crackers while internally dying because the world is ending. Like a proper drama queen. And then I decide a week or two later "you know what, fuck this entire situation!" and then force myself to forget about it. I usually lose around ten pounds during this period and then gain it back the following week.

But I'm also an INTP so... idk how that plays into it.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,202 Posts
I become very unsociable and withdraw to a distraction like music/tv, until I can find a solution to the problem. Eventually though I try to ask someone for their thoughts, which is usually because I am over-thinking the situation to the point when I think it is worse than it actually is.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm prone to any of the following when stressed:

1. napping
2. Snacking (especially sweets and salty stuff)
3. researching random topics of interests online, so in other words, constructive procrastination as I like to call it.

I've tried watching shows when dealing with stress (having to get work done kind of stress) but I can't because I end up feeling too self conscious about it. I feel like even though I'd be wasting time, I want to spend that time doing something slightly more constructive like sleeping (since I usually lack sleep). The snacking...well that just contradicts what I just said but that's more of an urge than anything.

Napping seems to work out pretty well for me. Way to tune out all thoughts since you're well, asleep.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 xII-Ne
2,616 Posts
I deal with stress by listening to music or drawing. Being productive in general and getting things done helps. In order to complete things, there needs to be minimal stress in the first place, because too much stress often leads to procrastination. Reading a book that interests me also helps, or watching videos about science, cryptozoology, and animals. Especially if said book is by one of my favorite authors.

Watching shows/cartoons helps me to get my mind off of things too. Going to a safe space like my room, out into nature, a bookstore, or a coffee shop always help. My mind gets completely engulfed in the activity I am doing, I don't think about real world stuff, then it helps the stress to decrease. I try to rationalize what I am stressed about or to focus on something else.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Only lack of necessary resources (food, housing, etc.) and being on the verge of losing necessary resources stress me out. To deal with it, I focus on taking things day-by-day and doing what I can to fix the problem step-by-step.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
It depends on the stressor but some of my usual coping techniques include:
1. Go for a walk/jog/dance/swim and drink plenty of water (tends to clear my mind & improve how I am in body-->emotion-->mind)
2. Think about the big picture generally while exercising (tends to return perspective)
3. Decide what is controllable re the stressor and what is not.
4. Make a plan and/or act immediately on it if possible (a plan/start alone usually removes stress for me)
5. With uncontrollable aspects: make a mental note of the lesson to be learned, then don't allow myself to think about it further.
6. Check for awfulizing and/or self pity -- remind myself that I expect to meet difficulties in life.
7. Ignore my feelings and carry on as usual (these feelings don't help and ignoring reduces them)
8. Come into the present moment, actively feel gratitude (removes anxiety)
9. Exercise self compassion/be a friend to myself (note I'm doing okay considering/where I did well etc)
10. If bad enough, give myself a breather: watch a movie or go to bed early. Start the next day fresh on plenty of sleep. I can't stand not being able to control my own mind (although mentally letting go when I choose to is fine). I'd rather lose time to sleep than experience 'invasive' thoughts/feelings/loss of focus.

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
8,899 Posts
It depends on the stressor but some of my usual coping techniques include:
1. Go for a walk/jog/dance/swim and drink plenty of water (tends to clear my mind & improve how I am in body-->emotion-->mind)
2. Think about the big picture generally while exercising (tends to return perspective)
3. Decide what is controllable re the stressor and what is not.
4. Make a plan and/or act immediately on it if possible (a plan/start alone usually removes stress for me)
5. With uncontrollable aspects: make a mental note of the lesson to be learned, then don't allow myself to think about it further.
6. Check for awfulizing and/or self pity -- remind myself that I expect to meet difficulties in life.
7. Ignore my feelings and carry on as usual (these feelings don't help and ignoring reduces them)
8. Come into the present moment, actively feel gratitude (removes anxiety)
9. Exercise self compassion/be a friend to myself (note I'm doing okay considering/where I did well etc)
10. If bad enough, give myself a breather: watch a movie or go to bed early. Start the next day fresh on plenty of sleep. I can't stand not being able to control my own mind (although mentally letting go when I choose to is fine). I'd rather lose time to sleep than experience 'invasive' thoughts/feelings/loss of focus.
I think your list is good advice in general for anyone who may be having difficulty coping with one's stressors. Have a thanks. :smile:

Reactions: Dare

·
Registered
203 Posts
Super deep thinking. Analyzing, troubleshooting, for a cause of stress and solution.
Take action towards desired solution whenever opportunity presents itself
Exercise to turn negative emotion until endless fuel
Music: Listening, writing, composing.
One day at a time approach, for more serious situations.
Oh, and isolation. On the level of completely abandoning all social media for months or more.

Hangout with my partner outside of our usual time during the weekend. He has great perspective, understanding, and never fails to help me resolve stress.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts