Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: As someone w/ ADD, I've noticed that the way i think when I'm on Vyvanse is drastically different than the way I think when I'm not under the influence of anything. But otherwise I wouldn't be taking it right? lol

During middle school and much of high school, I would take my ADD medication five days a week and I have noticed that my personality has changed drastically since that period. Before this heavy use of medication, I used to be more socially extroverted with a WILD extraverted intuition. Now as a freshman in college, I use my medication maybe once every two weeks yet I still notice that my personality hasn't reverted to how it was before the medication. I realize that the time period where I frequently used these stimulants coincided with puberty and it could be possible that my personality/cognitive traits could have just changed purely as a result of puberty. However, I think it is possible that frequent use of stimulants could have intensified/augmented certain changes in my brain that might have occurred to a lesser degree or might not not have occurred at all.

Essentially, puberty is the time where your brain is still setting like freshly mixed concrete. I think it is possible that stepping in the concrete with the Vyvanse boot during puberty would affect the way the concrete set where as it may not have drastically changed the structure of the concrete if the concrete was already set.

How do you guys think ADHD stimulants affect the cognition especially in reference to introversion/extroversion, creativity, spatial reasoning, verbal reasoning abilities, motivation, etc? Do you think habitual use of these substances significantly affect cognition in the long term even when such substances are no longer being used frequently? Why?

Obviously this is could be discussed in a relatively simple, uninteresting way but I would rather that not be the fate of this post. :wink: I decided to post this in the INTP forum because NPs are prone to be diagnosed with Attention disorders and also the INTP forum is one of the most popping. :laughing: Please prove me right on the latter.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Looks like we didn't prove you right.

·
Banned
689 Posts
Fuck Vyvanse. And fuck the bad psychiatrists.

I'm sick of people thinking that their problems will all wash away if they take pills. This could be in the form of antidepressants, ADD medication, etc. My suggestion is to find a way to not use so much. Pharmaceutical companies use their money to focus on advertising rather then actually researching the drug. We don't even know what they do, we're playing with fire, any nobody is aware of it. I'm serious, try to stay as natural as possible if you can. That shit will come back to bite you.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Looks like @xrypto spoke too soon.

This is about the AD/HD connection to NP types

Now, I do NOT think the medication changed your personality. Adolescence and early adulthood is when your functions develop. During your teens, the inferior function first emerges, and competes with the dominant, then, drops into the background sometime around 18-20 (there are several theories on what age functions develop, I'm going to try and find my source for this one).

Fe is the inferior function in INTPs, it would have an impact on your 'extraversion' during your teen years, and explain why now in college, you're different.

I observed the same changes in my life around that age. I take stimulants, have since I was 7, (29 now) so I am aware of how they alter your mood/focus, but they don't change your personality. Someone might observe that you're more one thing or another, but underneath it all, you're still you, at least this is the lesson I learned, ymmv.

Now, I do believe it's possible for SOME medications to have personality altering effects. I spoke of my experience here. It was to the degree that one of my cousins, when I saw her on thanksgiving, said to me "um, are you Lestany?" Not just because of the weight I had put on, but because I was not behaving like myself. But maybe I'm an anomaly.

Either way, I would not listen to the advise that warns you to stay away from medications all together. Those who advocate against drugs aren't taking your needs into consideration. They don't know what it is like for you without treatment, and whether or not the benefit of treatment outweighs possible 'risks'. That call you have to make for yourself.

Also, you might be interested in learning about cognitive functions
It will help you with your introspection. :proud:

Reactions: xrypto

·
Registered
734 Posts
Fuck Vyvanse. And fuck the bad psychiatrists.

I'm sick of people thinking that their problems will all wash away if they take pills. This could be in the form of antidepressants, ADD medication, etc. My suggestion is to find a way to not use so much. Pharmaceutical companies use their money to focus on advertising rather then actually researching the drug. We don't even know what they do, we're playing with fire, any nobody is aware of it. I'm serious, try to stay as natural as possible if you can. That shit will come back to bite you.
This.

I 100% think that ADD is a legit thing that affects kids and they deserve help... But therapy has actually been proven to be more effective than excessive medication. I think this clip from South Park explains it best:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Looks like @xrypto spoke too soon.
To be fair, I did bring this thread back to the front page, but I'll be leaving this thread now since I have nothing to contribute.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took medication for a while for my ADD during middle school, and I didn't feel any difference in my mental space, but people (my mom usually) told me that I acted different. Nothing seemed to change in the way I thought, but my actions apparently changed. This could possibly be because of the dominant Ti that INTP's have, so my guess would be that the influences of that kind of medication would vary depending on the type of the person themselves. If someone who didn't do as much thinking as feeling took the medication perhaps their mind space would be considerably different because their thought processes aren't as...deliberate? I'm not sure, and I feel like I might be generalizing (I'm sorry if that's the case *-*) just a thought.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You call "ADD" I call "subject not interesting/stimulant enough".
I admit it, this is true. But it's like torture to sit though boring crap. If a pill can get me to find it interesting enough to follow along, then a pill is what I need.

I would have never made it through school without stimulants. Now, how do I live/function without them? That's what I think is the downside to medications. Start the kid on them at an early age, they rely on them and never learn to study/focus without them.

Reactions: katsux and Alfador

·
Registered
639 Posts
But it's like torture to sit though boring crap.

I would have never made it through school without stimulants.
I can't stand boring shit on school too, yet I'm on my last year of high school. Maybe the education system it's pretty easy/shitty here, so I've managed to get here so far.

or maybe I rely too much on my INTJ friend to get good grades.

I could try to focus on the less interesting classes (add anything that isn't social studies, like chemistry, math, physics) but I require a great deal of mind-control, and the teacher being actually interesting as well. I have a great chemistry teacher, yet I fucking hate her class, but I manage to achieve something... sometimes.

I don't know how I'll handle college with this, I guess it's time to start practicing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts