Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to run 2-3x per week and go to the gym 3x per week but it's super hard for me to do it. And I sabotage myself for example by drinking alcohol on days I gym (affects muscle creation). But with a complete lack of Se it's tough. I really lost weight and started working out for confidence reasons, which was fairly successful, but it's so hard to stick to. I'd rather write, be on PerC, watch YouTube stuff, or movies, or whatever else isn't physical.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It depends on the day, month, year etc. If I identify with being fit, I will be extremely into it and will act like a Se dom, but it's something that comes and goes. I currently feel like I figured it all out and don't really need it per se, also because of good nutrition, but I definitely see the benefits of working out, or physical exercises as a whole on body, mind and spirit. It makes me feel more in the moment.

And I can't emphasize enough how important nutrition is, since I started doing keto I haven't exercised as much as I used to, but that's partly also because I stay in shape and energetic without having to work out. I did a 2.5 mile group run not too long ago and was the only one that seemed unaffected, everybody was out of breath, and I didn't run for at least 2 months beforehand. It's magical, I tell you! @Llyralen do you see the same results in your patients/people you counsel?

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
It depends on the day, month, year etc. If I identify with being fit, I will be extremely into it and will act like a Se dom, but it's something that comes and goes. I currently feel like I figured it all out and don't really need it per se, also because of good nutrition, but I definitely see the benefits of working out, or physical exercises as a whole on body, mind and spirit. It makes me feel more in the moment.

And I can't emphasize enough how important nutrition is, since I started doing keto I haven't exercised as much as I used to, but that's partly also because I stay in shape and energetic without having to work out. I did a 2.5 mile group run not too long ago and was the only one that seemed unaffected, everybody was out of breath, and I didn't run for at least 2 months beforehand. It's magical, I tell you! @Llyralen do you see the same results in your patients/people you counsel?
No. I see failed attempts and horrible nutrition with people attempting the hugely misguided keto diet. It has not really been studied correctly or enough when used for weight loss OR for any kind of clear mind kind of claim. Of course with small children and seizures (what the actual diet is really for) then we made sure they were successful by getting a certain formula and almost nothing else. You and I agree on everything that we've ever talked about as far as I can see BUT the Keto diet. Physiologically the thing that happens is, you are losing muscle. Your body will break down muscle to get carbohydrates. Meaning if they are loosing large amounts of weight on it--- first it's a lot from giving up soda and other sweets if they had a poor diet to start with, etc--- but quite a large portion of that weight loss is muscle which means they are headed to gaining the weight back plus some more. It's not a very sustainable diet for most people and most people eat horribly on it. I talked to a guy who was ladeling butter onto his hamburger patties. Um.... not heart healthy at all... I can't wait for this fad to blow over. Adkins blew over after 2002-2008. So many years of misguided everything.

Reactions: Fru2

·
Registered
571 Posts
I am into martial arts and archery. Because generally sports are not my forte. And running doesn't appeal to me unless there are some challenges.

For diets I prefer warm soups (clear soup) and rice, but still I can't get any thinner.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I used to run until I discovered fitness/work out. It's much more entertaining ! And you get more obvious results, and faster, so it's more motivating. I usually work out about 3 times a week and 1h each time, but it's been a while since I last did it. This summer was so dry and hot (yeah I'm finding excuses), I mostly went biking, hiking and swimming to enjoy the outdoors.
I also love climbing but rarely get the opportunity to practice. My last year at uni I joined a climbing class and quickly got excluded for missing one session lol (otherwise annual subscriptions in clubs were way too expensive).
As for my diet, I don't particularly pay attention. Since I'm vegan I just check all I eat is plant based but that doesn't mean I forego good fats (avocados, olive oil, peanut butter, almonds...) and carbs (fruits, cereal).

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
No. I see failed attempts and horrible nutrition with people attempting the hugely misguided keto diet. It has not really been studied correctly or enough when used for weight loss OR for any kind of clear mind kind of claim. Of course with small children and seizures (what the actual diet is really for) then we made sure they were successful by getting a certain formula and almost nothing else. You and I agree on everything that we've ever talked about as far as I can see BUT the Keto diet. Physiologically the thing that happens is, you are losing muscle. Your body will break down muscle to get carbohydrates. Meaning if they are loosing large amounts of weight on it--- first it's a lot from giving up soda and other sweets if they had a poor diet to start with, etc--- but quite a large portion of that weight loss is muscle which means they are headed to gaining the weight back plus some more. It's not a very sustainable diet for most people and most people eat horribly on it. I talked to a guy who was ladeling butter onto his hamburger patties. Um.... not heart healthy at all... I can't wait for this fad to blow over. Adkins blew over after 2002-2008. So many years of misguided everything.
I don't seem to lose muscle, I lost a bit of fat though, since the energy source of the body moves from insulin generated by the consumption of carbs to ketons, which are generated from fat consumption. Overall I'm maintaining a healthy weight on this diet, I'm also not so strict, I eat my share of carbs once in a while, but I try to keep it minimal. It's true that it's not a diet for everyone, and it's especially not a good idea to advise this diet to people who can't/don't take care of themselves, since it requires a lot of research. But overall, I think we will have to agree to disagree ;)

Joe sums it up pretty well

·
Registered
158 Posts
I mainly do weights 2-3x a week, once in a while I'll add in a HIIT workout for variety. I am losing weight at a slow rate which is fine by me. Weight training is super boring for me so I will usually watch something on Youtube while I do it. Plus I stopped increasing my weight, I am just using 15lb dumbbells, doing 3 sets of 8 reps. 15lbs is a good weight for me to maintain, I know I am losing weight with this amount and 8 reps makes the workout time shorter. I workout at home which makes it much easier for me to just start doing it instead of making excuses to myself that I'm too tired to go to the gym etc. I tend to take my time when I'm doing the exercises with long breaks in between. I think exercising at home is a good fit for ENFPs, this way we don't have to work around the gym's schedule or commute there and you can do it anytime you want.

Changing the activity can help to keep it fresh. Running is great, I enjoy running but stopped doing that after I injured my knee. I'm not so bored with my exercise routine that I have felt the need to change it yet but I did put some thought into what else I can do. I can join weekly non competitive games of a team sport, go swimming, do circuit training, do basketball drills, etc.

I have improved upon my diet gradually over time. I usually change one or two things about my diet and then move on to change something else once I've adjusted to the last change. I find I stick to my new eating habits better this way than to change everything at once. Not much I want to change with my diet at the moment. I cook mostly from fresh ingredients, will eat out 2-3 times a month, I eat a lot of protein and veggies, I don't eat a lot of fruit (I like fruit I just don't seem to want to eat it that much), I eat small amounts of carbs about 3x a week, rarely drink tea, coffee, alcohol, I drink lots of water or soda water with a bit of juice and stevia. I almost completely stopped drinking soda, I've been drinking this carbonated soda sweetened with stevia instead.

Although doing weights is tedious, I do my best to concentrate on how I feel afterwards. I actually really like it if I feel a bit sore the next day. I try not to forget how I felt when I was inactive (stiff joints, low energy, weak) and compare it with what I can do now. I especially see the difference in the amount of things I can do now and this really pleases me. In short, focus on the positive feelings to spur you on. Eh, I know this will sound perverted but I enjoy running my hands all over my body and noticing the changes to my body this way. I think Mindfulness helped me with this too.

My weight has always gone up and down during my lifetime. When I think about what I did in the past, I think I had the mindset of, well, I'm fit now so I can stop exercising now, and then I would gradually gain weight again. I think it's important to realize that you shouldn't stop exercising. That this is something that needs to be a part of your lifestyle until you die. Especially living in these times where food is so fast and easy to get. A lot of recreation and entertainment can be had while sitting down. And more people are working at desk jobs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts