Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be starting my final year at school, and where I live this year is extremely important and I am gonna try to get 95%+ in the final examination as that would ensure me getting into a good college, and in order to get such I'll need to put in a LOT of effort throughout the year.

The problem is that I can foresee myself procrastinating more than 50% of the time.

Any tips on how to avoid or at least minimize it?

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Oooo! Oooo! This ones' easy! find something else better to do.

no wait... shit.

·
Banned
642 Posts
I'm gonna be starting my final year at school, and where I live this year is extremely important and I am gonna try to get 95%+ in the final examination as that would ensure me getting into a good college, and in order to get such I'll need to put in a LOT of effort throughout the year.

The problem is that I can foresee myself procrastinating more than 50% of the time.

stickK − Change Starts Now
stickK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, make sure to:

1. make your goal specific
2. Have a stickk "referee" confirm that you completed your goals

and

3. bet a large enough sum of money that it will hurt if you keep failing to meet your goals.

"According to Goldberg, users who put money on the line and have a referee tend to do best. 78% of these users achieve their goals, as compared to only 35% who put no money down.[11]"

For other anti-akrasia/ procrastination techniques see : http://lesswrong.com/lw/1sm/akrasia_tactics_review

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wait until I just can't do it anymore.

hahaha

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
What I do is remind myself that if I get things all done, I'll have chunks of free time to myself that I don't have to spend worrying because I haven't done what I needed to do yet.

This doesn't always work, but it's better than nothing. I also make lists and prioritize what needs to be done first.

·
Registered
638 Posts
just do it - Nike

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I like runnerveran's idea of putting money on the line the best. It is the most effective form of reinforcement. Which is why I am volunteering myself to referee your money! You can trust me, I am from the internet. Hell, lets just makes this fun for everyone...place your bets now!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Avoid it? No, no, no. You make friends with it. :)

And then you do what you know you have to do whether you want to do it or not.
It's really about willpower, or so I'm told.

Reactions: nadjasix

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
Avoid it? No, no, no. You make friends with it. :)

And then you do what you know you have to do whether you want to do it or not.
It's really about willpower, or so I'm told.
I haven't had pizza or junk food in a couple of weeks. I've also gone back to daily cardio/meditation/breathing. (Instead of "when I feel like it", which translates to "I'd rather watch Knight Rider for 6 hours straight and keep my depressed streak going.")

If I can do that, anybody can do anything...

Next I need to cut back on internet dawdling by about 50%.

·
Registered
146 Posts

The title of this thread really sounded like a lead into a joke... I can't help but think there must be a punchline?

Anyway, what I have found works best for me is break tasks into manageable pieces. The more I don't like a task or procrastinate on it, the more I have to break it up. I use 3x5 index cards in a binder clip because they are cheap, plentiful and pocket sized. I have tried the phone app route but for some reason I feel like the digital lists programs on there are more an 'official' record so I am too careful about what I write in them (which pretty much renders them useless). On the note cards I write mundane details. I typically don't put 'clean my room, pay bills, fix car' etc... I actually put individual tasks like empty litter, ask roommate where is the vacuum, pay phone bill, check driver door, replace wipers, etc. For an assignment or work project, I would not write "book project for English" without listing its parts such as 'read chapter x&y, write paragraph, clarify question 2 with instructor', etc. This works the best for the tasks I don't like especially because I can do a small piece and still cross an item off. When the lists get messy enough I can rewrite it, then just throw away the old ones. You can flip them over and around, rearrange them and work from both ends of the stack because it is just in a clip instead of a notebook... pretty handy for a 'P-type' because I can arrange them like my brain, be a pack rat with them if I want to, and not have them neat and orderly. Multiple lists work too... When I write 'replace wiper blades' I also add 'wiper blades' to the non-grocery list of things to buy. It is also handy to scribble a quick note on jot down a current train of thought... for example you can calculate the formula for the probability of finding the exit of a maze without making any wrong turns based on x dead ends, y loops, and no repeat paths. Then conveniently hide those pages in the middle of the stack of index cards...

OK now that I sound like an index card commercial how about a punchline to that joke?

How do you avoid procrastination?
Hide behind a grandfather clock?
You procrastinate it away?
You cross the street and pretend you are busy helping the chicken?
Anyone?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
make a to-do list and put "procrastination" in big, bold letters in the top three spots. you will either avoid it successfully or accomplish the top three things on your to-do list!
This logic. It is flawless.

*applauds*

Alternatively, you could hire a dominatrix and have her whip you when you fail to stay on task.

Worked for me.
Just don't use "banana" as your safety word. They get the wrong idea.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
You... don't?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The title of this thread really sounded like a lead into a joke... I can't help but think there must be a punchline?

Anyway, what I have found works best for me is break tasks into manageable pieces. The more I don't like a task or procrastinate on it, the more I have to break it up. I use 3x5 index cards in a binder clip because they are cheap, plentiful and pocket sized. I have tried the phone app route but for some reason I feel like the digital lists programs on there are more an 'official' record so I am too careful about what I write in them (which pretty much renders them useless). On the note cards I write mundane details. I typically don't put 'clean my room, pay bills, fix car' etc... I actually put individual tasks like empty litter, ask roommate where is the vacuum, pay phone bill, check driver door, replace wipers, etc. For an assignment or work project, I would not write "book project for English" without listing its parts such as 'read chapter x&y, write paragraph, clarify question 2 with instructor', etc. This works the best for the tasks I don't like especially because I can do a small piece and still cross an item off. When the lists get messy enough I can rewrite it, then just throw away the old ones. You can flip them over and around, rearrange them and work from both ends of the stack because it is just in a clip instead of a notebook... pretty handy for a 'P-type' because I can arrange them like my brain, be a pack rat with them if I want to, and not have them neat and orderly. Multiple lists work too... When I write 'replace wiper blades' I also add 'wiper blades' to the non-grocery list of things to buy. It is also handy to scribble a quick note on jot down a current train of thought... for example you can calculate the formula for the probability of finding the exit of a maze without making any wrong turns based on x dead ends, y loops, and no repeat paths. Then conveniently hide those pages in the middle of the stack of index cards...

OK now that I sound like an index card commercial how about a punchline to that joke?

How do you avoid procrastination?
Hide behind a grandfather clock?
You procrastinate it away?
You cross the street and pretend you are busy helping the chicken?
Anyone?
That sounds like good advice . . . might try that and see if it works . . .

make a to-do list and put "procrastination" in big, bold letters in the top three spots. you will either avoid it successfully or accomplish the top three things on your to-do list!
Avoiding procrastination.....what if we were to procrastinate procrastination.....suddenly this all becomes possible!
If I even try that I'd probably end up trying to solve the paradox that is procrastinating procrastination . . . which is quite unproductive.

·
Registered
ANimA
1,011 Posts
Having ENTJ friends is perfect for this. Some shouting, mocking and body wrestling will be inevitable but after the work is done it will be followed by wacky laughter and a nice dinner. Good times.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I have a white eraser board in my room, written with all the tasks I need to complete for the upcoming months. There's a sub-section on the bottom of the board, for what I will be doing that day, while future projects are listed above, categorized by importance. I even have times for when to work and relax, so I can play around as much as possible. It's saved the mental space of juggling ten assignments and stressing over the tiny things. I still am lazy, but now I arrange my laziness into a healthier schedule.

Reactions: nereus

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

I don't avoid it, I just put it off

1 - 20 of 41 Posts