Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I left "home" I've been very happy in general, with the opportunities and with the personal freedom, but in this economy I always seem to be finding work exclusively in ISXX/ESFX-dominated environments. Learning the trade can be fun stuff but it's purely excruciating afterwards; it leaves me feeling like there's no place for my personality and no hope for my success. I feel like I've been devoured and spit back up. How have other ENTPs dealt with this in the past? How do you guys keep light on your toes about things that "aren't your problem" so you can go about chasing the things that matter, and more importantly, keep those priorities in sight?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Easy. Relax, step back, and take a breather. Can you predict what is the result of whatever you're worrying about in the first place? If you can't why are you worrying?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
You are not your job. Opportunities for self expression are out there once you've given "the man" what he asks of you. It took me a long time to learn to separate the two modes of life.

Also I think I took some time to perfect my "normal" act to please the SJ's long enough to be accepted in their circles. Then I started letting my freak flag fly again--selectively--at work.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I watch TV shows or drink beer and get drunk with my friends. A nice drive doesn't hurt either. Not when I'm drunk obviously.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Silent Influence.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Slowpoke is wise.
There is a tendency in our society to consider our work as our raison d'etre, the thing that gives our life value. A very SJ view, I suppose. I think if you can put it in its place, realise that it does have a value (if only in paying the rent) but far from the only value in life, and go and find other things that you value, that helps. And I don 't mean some little hobby to occupy you in the hours before you can get back to work, I mean something that is not work that is important enough to you that if you put it and your work on a balance scales, work wouldn't necessarily be the heavier.

It took me until I was in my mid 40's to realise this, so congratulations, you're ahead of the game :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well, my ex wife broke down in part because she let herself value herself against her career. It was all that mattered to her in the end. Boy, does she regret it now. Myself, I am relaxed about what is important:
"Live for work, or work to live".

I am self employed and work about three to four hours a day. Normally. No excessive paycheck, but enough for me to afford the little "extras" every know and then.

I have dreamed of going to Iceland and Japan. Went to Iceland two years ago and to Tokyo the day after tomorrow. I challenge the things I am afraid of, to make every day count. Sometimes I fail, but still live, and I AM ALIVE in spite of setbacks.

Fancy cars and titles, "normal" show-offs of status does nothing for me, nor impress me. I drive a Hyundai because it is practical. Have a small but nicely designed house of no particular grandeur. My tv is - although flatscreen - but 40"...:)

One of my biggest fears is to never make use of the gifts life has given me, but even if I would die today, I have lived well according to my own ethic code.

All in all, do not chase other peoples definition of happiness, but try to live by your own. Define your path and follow it to be happy.

Reactions: Quin Sabe
1 - 7 of 7 Posts