Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed over enough late nights that when I am tired, but still aware, my brain begins to function somewhat differently. The emotions I previously talked about being unable to really feel come out in spades, and I seem to understand them clearly. My mind seems to flow smoothly within an abstract realm and turns up some amazing connections from seemingly nowhere. I'll do most of my philosophical thinking while lying down to go to sleep. It works both ways though, after I have had sleep, I will have trouble understanding what I was feeling once again, which can be embarrassing when I try communicating my emotions in this state and then look back on it later without a clue. In fact, I am writing in the wee hours right now, so hopefully I don't wake up and wonder what the heck I was thinking.

Anyways, a little fatigue seems to make the gears flow smoother for me, does anyone else feel any little changes when they've been up a while?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
"It's not what I am underneath, but what I do that defines me."

put differently: I'm Batman! *raspy voice*

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Nice. I'm not completely sure, but, I know when I'm tired I have less energy to focus on small things, and end up being a lot less nervous.

However, I am slightly fragmented in my advice I notice. Like, I feel more confident as far as, I care about other people less, but I feel less confident, since my thoughts seem, well, it seems like I'm on a stimulant without having eaten. I think thats why they call sleep deprivation psychoactive, like a drug. It might even seem euphoric in a way, which is probably because the body is shutting down, lol, and can't focus on reality. However, who am I to say thats a bad thing. I really don't know. But I do need to go to sleep, thanks for reminding me haha.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've noticed over enough late nights that when I am tired, but still aware, my brain begins to function somewhat differently. The emotions I previously talked about being unable to really feel come out in spades, and I seem to understand them clearly. My mind seems to flow smoothly within an abstract realm and turns up some amazing connections from seemingly nowhere. I'll do most of my philosophical thinking while lying down to go to sleep. It works both ways though, after I have had sleep, I will have trouble understanding what I was feeling once again, which can be embarrassing when I try communicating my emotions in this state and then look back on it later without a clue. In fact, I am writing in the wee hours right now, so hopefully I don't wake up and wonder what the heck I was thinking.
I can relate to that a lot. I'm more emotional at night and my brain seems to work differently. I can think or say things at night that make perfect sense, but when I look back at them the next day, they seems rather ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
And creativity comes out like boom!

Last night I texted someone who I normally would not have texted, then I woke up thinking ''shit, night stoned AGAIN'',,
Haha, I like that term "night stoned", very suitable. I'm the same way. I do things I normally wouldn't do and think things I normally wouldn't think. I don't know if it's from being tired or something else, but I love it. I wish I could think that way all the time. When I'm REALLY tired though it's a whole different story, haha.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My mind is so much better early in the morning, say around 4 or 5am. At night I am just way too grumpy. This is one of the biggest challenges my ENFP wife and I have living together. She and my ISTP stepson are both nightowls. If I try to talk with them in the morning they are like zombies. If they try to talk with me at night I am likely to growl at them.

Reactions: PWarren

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I've always been a night owl. My parents even recount stories, from when I was about 2 or 3, of me being put to bed and then getting up and wandering round upstairs, sometimes screaming from the landing behind the child-locked gate on the stairs. They'd find me asleep on the landing when they went up to bed. As a child I'd read, draw, play with my toys, just engage my imagination in someway after I'd gone to bed. As a teenager I'd play video games into the night and regularly did my homework after going to bed. I wrote most of my best essays late into the night, by lamp-light.

My lifestyles forced me to change my habits a bit. I have a full-time teaching job which starts just after 8 am meaning I have to be up around 7ish, sometimes 6ish depending on the school I'm visiting (I teach English at a number of schools in my town, here in Japan.) Despite being a night-owl I really need a good 7 hours of sleep or I'm really drained the next day so I've had to adjust to getting to bed by 11 at the latest and now am up even on weekends by at least 9.

Nevertheless I still find the night inviting and inspirational. I was never afraid of the dark, even as a kid. I found it magical, a time when the imagination can truly come alive. Darkness carries with it mystique, possibilities, hidden wonders. It's a constant source of frustration for me that the realities of working life force me from being able to make the night my own like I used to. But even now I enjoy getting to bed and engaging myself with a book or just intense introspection and the workings of my mind. My power hours definitely come after sun-down, no doubt

·
Registered
104 Posts
At night I'm always more likely to confront someone or have a deep conversation. My brain always works better and everything flows better. I can be a completely different person when writing to someone at night.

·
Registered
724 Posts
oh yes. the walls come down. if you really want to talk to me rather than a conscious, tweaked, projection of me, midnight to 4 a.m. is the right time.

Reactions: PWarren

·
Registered
891 Posts
I found it magical, a time when the imagination can truly come alive. Darkness carries with it mystique, possibilities, hidden wonders. It's a constant source of frustration for me that the realities of working life force me from being able to make the night my own like I used to. But even now I enjoy getting to bed and engaging myself with a book or just intense introspection and the workings of my mind. My power hours definitely come after sun-down, no doubt
@Moss Icon: I see the early morning in much the same way: it is a time of great imagination for me.

The world is still in darkness, has yet to truly come alive, and thus anything and everything seems possible.

·
Premium Member
15,281 Posts
Well, the difference between night & day, is like night & day. Night is when I sleep. Day is when I live. That about covers it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts