Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how I can connect with myself and change beliefs, add goals or just make myself a less of a pessimistic person with more confidence.
I want to even change some irrational beliefs that society has forced upon us
I'm also wondering how you can really connect and see what your morals and values
I want to have more mental endurance (exercise and work)
How do I do it, this will come in handy in self-improvement for me.

I need to tap into my subconscious but I'm unsure on how to because I've tried it before such as meditation and relaxation but It doesn't seem to work for me.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
1. Identify the beliefs or values that you want to change. You can do this by meditating on it, by talking it out with friends or wise older folks, by reading books on philosophy, etc. Just find a way to take a new perspective on your life. If meditation isn't working, it probably means you need to "fill the well", meaning have new experiences to change your perspective. Try new things, meet new people, experience new faiths, religions, philosophies and ideas.

2. Take these values and compare them to other alternatives. In the case of pessimism, for instance, observe people who are optimistic (like me). Ask them why they're optimistic. Find out what reasons there are for having other viewpoints.

3. Make a conscious choice to be a different person. This can be hard, because sometimes we feel trapped in our own head or our own beliefs. Tell yourself, "I refuse to hate the world as I used to. I refuse to hate the world as my friends and family do. I choose to love instead, because love in my mind is more worthy." Don't worry about what people will think or about others' view of right and wrong. Remember that values are all a choice. You can choose to value hatred or you can choose to value love, or something entirely else (like balance or acceptance).

4. Reinforce your decision by looking back and reminding yourself of how this change in value has impacted your life. Has it helped you make new friends? Has it helped you enjoy life more? Remind yourself so that you don't fall into old habits of hopelessness, negative spirals or poor choices.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long will this whole process take? Can I change multiple beliefs at once instead of focusing on one?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Just fake it til you make it. Do everything you think you should do if you actually had those "beliefs" until it becomes a natural state. If you're an ENTP you're rationalization effect should take over from there and make it your reality.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
It's not really a set-in-stone process. There are plenty of self help books that will tell you it takes ___ weeks/days/years to change something in yourself, and give you step-by-step instructions. They're mostly bullshit but if you believe hard enough it will work. I think the gist of it is, just try and keep trying. A belief can change in a minute or in a year, depending on how much you want to change and how deeply embedded it is in your life.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Meditation in these instances is just sitting and thinking to be honest. If that isn't working, you should really stop meditating. No amount of breathing exercises or trance state will give you the new information you are lacking. Stop introverting so much and get out in the real world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts