Personality Cafe banner

What is most important to you when selecting a mate?

• Shared Values

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • Common Hobbies

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Common Profession

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Compatible MBTI Theories

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I take whatever I can get

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what was priority for people in choosing a mate. For instance, I place a great emphasis on finding a man who can run with me.

How do you choose?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Primarily shared values. Values and goals are so important and sharing values can make a relationship the same way having conflicting values can kill an otherwise very compatible relationship. They are just too important.

There are certain qualities I look for in a mate. I like a girl that is very determined and nurturing at the same time. It's good to have a few things in common. Communication is vital. And I'm attracted to smaller athletic girls. But values are most important.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Priority... I would have to say, someone who keeps me entertained. I get bored way too easy.

Edit: Oh, I didn't even notice the poll. Ha. Um, in that case, common hobbies, I guess?

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Where's the "size of her ass" option?

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
Just what was priority for people in choosing a mate. For instance, I place a great emphasis on finding a man who can run with me.

How do you choose?
You mean a man who can catch you.

If by mate you mean spouse then I chose the one who would be the best mother to my children. I could have chosen

best friend
best lover
most fun

but I chose the one that I knew would stick around and help me raise a family. It took me a while to figure out that was the most important thing (for me at least).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got asked out today by a really attractive girl at college. I pretended I had a girlfriend just because she didn't get sarcasm and I didn't feel an "instant connection".

My standards did go up after I met the most incredible girl though, and now no one compares. :dry:

I'm just looking for my best friend.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well, it usually stems from common interests, but then again I've also never been that successful on that front, so who knows what I could go for given the chance?:crazy:

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
From the options, I had to pick values. The other things are nice, but they won't make it last like values will - not with me.

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Not really sure but I'll guess common hobbies. Main complaint most people have about me is that I am boring and they hate my hobbies. Usually like wise for me too concerning them.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I take whatever I can get: nothing. :bored:
Do you think perhaps you get nothing because a woman senses you take whatever you can get? I know I like to feel special and rare to a person I'm with. I like to feel "chosen".

Reactions: strawberryLola

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I chose "Shared Values..." though my values and hobbies somewhat intersect.

I suppose I look for someone that has my kind of silly in them, sweet, and wants children someday. Those three are pretty much mandatory. :proud:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
All the options are great for choosing a mate but I've found it's best not to over analyze love. In an age were marriages bust up more than they stay together people getting married with very little in common have just as good of a chance of staying together.
There for I picked "take what I can get."
:happy:

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Do you think perhaps you get nothing because a woman senses you take whatever you can get? I know I like to feel special and rare to a person I'm with. I like to feel "chosen".
The idea was I take whatever I can get because whatever I get tends to be nothing.

I don't go after everyone. I currently have one interest, and she's taken. :frustrating:

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
Cool question..!!

I pick 'Values.'

I wanna be with someone who see's through a similar lens that I do. If I'm with someone with opposing values, I'd rather just drop that relationship like it's hot, and move on..

Seriously. If I'm going to stay with someone for a long time, we better darn view people at the same level. I dated a person in the past, who lets just say... viewed others as 'inferior' due to racial make-up, and was like, "Uhhh.. You for realll?" I dumped him instantly when he made a comment about obese people. I'm fit, but it doesn't give him the rights to talk ish about people because of their conditions. Whatever.

Rather much be with someone who has a positive/optimistic view of humans than a douglas downer. I dig guys who share similar views of humanities/ethics as I do.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
You mean mates?
On the first day of every month, I stand on top of buildings and throw darts to see who they hit. On the last day, I throw them out.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Personally I like anyone who could understand me lol.And common values. I also love people who share the same passion as I do (public safety)

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
"Are we in sync"

^ = process of getting to know their values and what they prioritise, where they are going in life, whether they prepared to communicate and work in a relationship (even as friends) etc.

I'm going to say values, because often people who value the same things as me (humour, hard work, loyalty, self awareness, self work etc) are usually most "in sync" with me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.