Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in a pretty tough time in my life. Not that it is any thing serious, but it has been a year since I graduated, I can't find a job, had to move back home, and generally feel like a huge failure. I have been really successful in my life before this "bad year," but I find myself getting very down-in-the-dumps because of my circumstance. On top of the failing feeling, being in school my whole life has made an instant community, that community is now completely gone. So i feel very unaccomplished as far as success goes, but also as far as my relationships go, since I am not in a community of people.

Has any experienced a rough "welcome-to- the-real- world" year after college and how did you deal with it?

·
Registered
369 Posts
ive been there exactly. when i graduated i moved back home and started the job hunt. It took a complete year before i finally landed an unpaid internship in Cali. So i moved out there and worked with no pay for 4 months, then waited another 2 months for a job opening that never came. I finally moved out to another state and started working for a friend i knew from college. We're basically building our own company from the basement (literally). And to be honest i like it this way. Doing things my way and on my terms. I feel like i'm carving my own path through life instead of being forced down one. I guess the moral of the story is play to your strengths. I know people from coast to coast and that has been a big help networking wise.

Reactions: Nidenel

·
Registered
15 Posts
You're not a failure. You're only a failure if you give up. Life's not a game where we win or lose, it's a journey where we just do. Times get tough and we do what we have to do to get by. Don't look at moving back home as failing, it's just another part of the journey. And don't let other people's (including your own) notions of success make you feel unaccomplished. Remember all that you have accomplished in your life so far. You've gotten further than most. Keep trying, keep positive and one day this will all be behind you. Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
In video games: "GOD DAMMIT *restart*"

In video games without a restart: "DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT.... :("

In real life: "Um... crap... Ah well."

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Yes, I'm in the same boat. Currently moving home, found out I didn't graduate and have to take summer classes. Grrr. Hopefully I'll still get my degree. But I have decided to go back to school for something I actually want to do where the market is actually expanding. After surveying the job market, I realized it was hard to find a job because I didn't want any of these jobs so I wasn't really putting in the effort. Every job I wanted I was unqualified for. Last time I wanted a job super badly I got it even though I was unqualified and the market was horrible. I think we just have to remember what our priorities are and what our real goal is. Remembering that moving home is only temporary and not necessarily a set back. It helps to think about things systematically and make small achievable goals. Example: I will apply to two jobs today or something like that.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I don't want to give you faulty advice. Maybe it would just help to know that you're not alone in this. Everyone is having trouble these days. Mills are shutting down, 401Ks are plummeting, 40 year olds are leaving the job market to go back to school, and more kids are dropping out of school than ever. We are just in an economic shift right now. There is lots of opportunity but we just need to find our place in the new market and if that means we have to go home and re-group, so be it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts