Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought of this yesterday after I had spent hours with a migrane. While this was certainly not the worst pain I've felt it was to the level where I couldn't quite think straight. To deal with pain like this I close my eyes and say over and over in my head "it is only pain, it is not real". This allows me to have a focus on something else (and I REALLY have to focus or else it doesn't work). It seems to allow me to block the pain momentarily, though I still feel the cause of it. With the migrane, it would stop the pain, but I would still feel the extremely uncomfortable pressure in my head, kind of like when you get a tooth pulled; the area is numb to the pain, but you still feel it. Still, the moment I stop putting 100% focus into this, the pain overwhelms me again.

I'm wondering if this is a common method of dealing with pain? Is there a name for it? Do you do it? If not, how do you deal with pain?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Most of the time I am just like fuck it and continue my day. And I'm so busy doing things I forget I even had the pain.

I guess I do the same thing as you...Only better. :p

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the time I am just like fuck it and continue my day. And I'm so busy doing things I forget I even had the pain.
Well, I'm talking more about extreme pain...like bad enough were you cannot walk around and certainly cannot just continue on with your day.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Well, I'm talking more about extreme pain...like bad enough were you cannot walk around and certainly cannot just continue on with your day.
Well my days consist of chatting on PerC and playing video games. So I could pull that off...

But if I have something important going around. I have to take a pain kill and deal with it. Pain doesent stop me from doing what I want to do. If I can't walk I will force myself. I have something to do and I'm gonna do it. The pain kill will work or I will forget about it. I never figured out witch one does it but I don't care. And in more extreme cases I do have a wheelchair and crutches.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,075 Posts
I tend to just "suck it up". I went through giving birth twice with no epidural or anything.
When I get migraines, I take the nurofen and lay down, but if I have to do stuff like drive to get the kids, then I just have to suck up the pain and go and do what needs to be done, because I don't have anyone else to do it for me. It's as simple as that. I would love to wallow in self pity but I just don't have that option as a mother. I am on the whole pretty tough though. My husband is not always that sympathetic either so I guess that is part of it.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I put up with it. I have become used to it, having spent quite a hefty portion of my life in near constant pain caused by either migraines - which I used to get nigh daily - heart burn - which used to come and go up to three or four times each minute - chest pains - caused by allergies - and joint pains when I move. Only recently, upon a complete alteration of diet, has the pain diminished noticeably.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,075 Posts
I put up with it. I have become used to it, having spent quite a hefty portion of my life in near constant pain caused by either migraines - which I used to get nigh daily - heart burn - which I used to come and go up to three or four times each minute - chest pains - caused by allergies - and joint pains when I move. Only recently, upon a complete alteration of diet, has the pain diminished noticeably.
Are you falling to pieces? :unsure:

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I suppose it depends on whether it is possible to remove the source of the pain. If I have a bad headache, I will sometimes give in and take something for it, despite having a general mistrust for most drugs and some kind of caffeine allergy. (The only headache pills that work for me contain caffeine.)

If the pain is not preventable, I have found that focusing on it intensely can make me feel like I have more control over it.
If the pain is not physical, talking to someone nurturing who cares helps more than anything else, as does analyzing whatever caused it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It doesn't bother me too much honestly. I had my right side hurt very badly when I was in HS. Broken foot, ankle, leg, pelvis, arm, wrist, a couple of fingers, clavicle and my cheekbone. I had to have some pins and plates put in, some came out and some I still have. I've broken nearly all my fingers. The last time I broke two on my left hand I set them myself after I drove roughly an hour to get splints and make it back home. There's always something that aches or bothers me, but I'm so used to it, I tune it out. The only way I'll take any type of medication for pain is if I absolutely can not move or function.

I guess I just suck it up, accept it and go on about whatever I have to do.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well, I have been in pain where I can't walk and I usually just try go to sleep.
If it is a headache I usually complain to myself for the first 5 mins and then get over it and do what needs to be done.
I am not one to pill pop etc. so my personal "remedy" is, I'll just sleep on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
I deal with physical pain from head to toe every second of my life. I'm use to it. I keep going and that is all there is to it. :happy:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
like zero I am basically anti pill and sleep it off. However, lately I have had migraine every day almost and it affected my work and money. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with seizures. Because it got real bad,

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I either suck it up, lay down in the dark with a fan running, Ibuprofen the crap out of it, drink something cool.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just deal with it, I rarely take medication unless the pain is so extreme I can't function without it.I've been through a lot of pain in life and I've gained a very high threshold to it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Depends on the kind of pain, and the severity. With bad pain I'll take whatever medication or means I can to stop it. If I'm in mild pain or discomfort I'm usually a terror for focusing on it and not being able to let myself ignore it.

With aches I'll try and find a way of relaxing the area physically. Other than that whine or cry, or if it's something small like sore feet from running or walking alot sort of enjoy it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If I get a bad headache, I just deal with it. I'll usually acknowledge it at first, but then concentrate on something else to forget about the pain. This usually works, but if it doesn't go away after a few hours I'll take some advil.

My left kneecap aches pretty often from an old injury, and I just deal with it. At night, if I sleep on my side, I have to stuff my covers or a pillow under it or else the pain is too great to ignore.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Physical mental emotional best way for me to deal with it is a bowl of honey nut cheerios while watching comedy central :laughing:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Physical pain? hmm
If it lasts a short time, I find something to read... anything lying around. I don't look into the meaning of whatever it is, just concentrate on the words, read and reread. Takes my mind off the pain.
if it's chronic I'll take an Advil, probably become irritable, then take more Advil and hope it passes

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I try to ignore pain and use "mind over body" for as long as I can. I think I learned this through marathoning. Or maybe the tendency was always there and that's why I became a marathoner.

But I've been known to giggle when something really hurts. I've had to explain this to doctors when they give me injections or debride my wounds, etc.

Something like food poisoning, I can't escape. So it pisses me off. I rarely get sick, but when I do I keep trying to "mind myself" out of my sickness. I try to proceed with my life as usual until I crash. It's almost disgusting.

When I got sciatica 2 years ago, I didn't want to believe what my body was telling me. I couldn't even walk but I thought I could run if I "willed" it enough.

If I am finally crashed in pain, I will try to focus on it and go directly to it's center. I stop avoiding it, I feel it and go right to it. This seems to have a numbing affect when I do that. Because I cover myself in pain and it is no longer the irritating small part of me. It's all of me. For some reason that mentality seems to help rather than feeling like one part of my body is in pain.

I think it takes me a lot to feel physical pain. I don't give in easily to it. But once it's beyond me, I get very pissed and want it to go away as quickly as possible. I hate when the pain is too huge to escape it in my mind.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts